Author Topic: My frustration with permaculture and urban gardening.  (Read 3209 times)

Offline FunkBuddha

• Prepper
My frustration with permaculture and urban gardening.
« on: May 19, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »
I just wanted to make a thread to vent a frustration I have with urban gardening and permaculture in my community. It seems that almost everyone involved here are progressive left activist types. It also seems to me like the prepper/libertarian folks should make up the majority in these networks but that isn't the case. I hesitate to participate because i worry that i would be the odd man out constantly having to defend my views or be ostracized for them. I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when people start talking about how Michelle Obama is the face of urban gardening. It makes me want to puke, honestly. I guess the old saying about libertarians and herding cats is the primary cause of this.

I know Jack talked about the permacutlurists/peak oiler communities merging with the prepper communities in the future but I haven't seen any sign whatsoever of that happening yet where i live. What can we in the prepper community do to move this merger along without making them feel threatened by our ideas? I mean, if several preppers in an area got together and started trying to network with these people we would likely be labeled as those crazy survivalists or militia members.

Offline P_Coltrane

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: My frustration with permaculture and urban gardening.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:54:46 PM »
I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when people start talking about how Michelle Obama is the face of urban gardening.

Libertarians say stupid things too . . .  although I can't think of anything right off hand. ;D

If you can practice self discipline and get to know these "liberals", you might find out that aside from the Michelle Obama worship, they may just share many of the opinions you do. I know I have and have gained a better understanding and first hand knowledge of the divisiveness being thrust upon us. Sometimes you have to be the bigger person.

Of course if they are only gardening because Michelle says its what the cool kids are doing, then they are probably not worth the CO2 emissions from even the briefest conversation.

Offline FunkBuddha

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 01:35:07 PM »
So I went for a short walk and thought about this post and realized that to everyone but me it probably came across as someone who's just bitching about the current relationship between the aforementioned communities. I didn't intend it for it to be so. Think of it as more of a problem statement.

Both sides seem to agree on what the problem is and to some extent the solution. We primarily disagree on the root cause. The more i thought about it, aside from the Obama-praise, we tend to agree. For example, my local permaculture guild is trying to get laws changed to allow for things like urban chickens within city limits and i'm certainly cool with that.

Maybe I should start going to meetings and see what it's all about.

Offline P_Coltrane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:07:37 PM »
allow for things like urban chickens

Urban chickens . . . hmm . . . there has got to be a joke in their somewhere, I just can't find it. ;D  ??? ;D

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:38:40 PM »
Urban chickens . . . hmm . . . there has got to be a joke in their somewhere, I just can't find it. ;D  ??? ;D

Pigeons that lay eggs? Haha.

Offline FunkBuddha

• Prepper

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 09:20:48 PM »
"It seems that almost everyone involved here are progressive left activist types."

Don't sweat the politicrap, just garner whatever permaculture gems they throw your way!