Author Topic: QRP how-to article  (Read 5000 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
QRP how-to article
« on: January 06, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »
Saw this posted recently: http://offgridham.com/2016/01/getting-started-qrp/

I'm not a big fan of QRP, especially on SSB during an emergency, but I can see it as a way to sharpen skills.  I suppose when doing PSK31 I could dial back on the power from my usual 20w to 5w and sport the /qrp on the end of my call sign and probably never miss the extra 6 dB – under ordinary circumstances.  Anyway, QRP's been roundly beaten up here at TSP in the past, just search on the string 'qrp' on the ham board, so I won't belabor the point.

Bottom line, it's an interesting read and seems appropriate to post here on the how-to board.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: QRP how-to article
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 02:38:08 AM »
Anyway, QRP's been roundly beaten up here at TSP in the past, just search on the string 'qrp' on the ham board....

....or 'FT-817'....

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:12:10 AM »
....or 'FT-817'....
Hmmm yeah, to a very large extent the two are synonymous these days.  High praise indeed for that little radio.  I've seen a friend's 817 in action, and they really are that good.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 05:09:19 PM »
Yes,I have beat on QRP a bit ...because it is NOT the ideal radio for emergency work...but ,as I have said before, QRP is a FUN part of my hobby and you can do surprising things with it....but it is like climbing with a 550 paracord as your safety rope....just should not be relied on. I just don't think such an important piece of gear should be minimalist.

I did enjoy the article  :)

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 06:56:54 PM »
  I think that when people talk about QRP and emergency equipment there talking about something they can have on them no mater what. Small, Light, Simple. Like when your back packing. It's better to have a small gun then none at all.  Grin

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 09:50:19 AM »
This is exactly what it sounds like I am starting out with. QRP. My (perhaps) Elmer, who is interested that I am interested in CW, is going to set me up with 5watt CW rig and teach me how to use it. Due to the circumstances I am currently in, this is pretty much one of the few options open to me if I want to play at the moment.

Having a small lightweight, off-grid rig (and easily mobile) is perfect for me right now (and for other applications in the future). All 3 of my Baofengs (two UV-5R and one UV-3R) will RX but not TX. After 18 months of getting my license and not being able to make a contact, it is pissing me off. So if life gives me 5 watts, so be it. I do hike alot, love the idea of being able to be lightweight, and running off a small battery/solar. And if it will hopefully hone my skills, all the better.

Cedar

PS, yes, I am going to see what options are available to me for a bigger better antenna for the UV-5Rs, but I am going to have to be rather creative

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 07:00:35 PM »

Having a small lightweight, off-grid rig (and easily mobile) is perfect for me right now (and for other applications in the future). All 3 of my Baofengs (two UV-5R and one UV-3R) will RX but not TX.

Cedar

PS, yes, I am going to see what options are available to me for a bigger better antenna for the UV-5Rs, but I am going to have to be rather creative

http://www.fredspinner.com/W0FMS/CheapYagi/vjbcy.html

Check out these Yagi antennas. They are super cheap to make and should help at the house.

Jerseyboy

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 10:46:38 PM »
Thank you JerseyBoy

Cedar

Offline radiomacgyver

• Senior Survivalist
  • Zello handle: radiomacgyver