Author Topic: MSP's Garden 2016  (Read 6094 times)

d3nni5

MSP's Garden 2016
« on: March 23, 2016, 06:51:48 AM »
I turned over my first spade full of dirt yesterday!   YEAH!   Pictures to come.   

d3nni5

Re: MSP's Garden 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 07:04:40 AM »

I started digging up my soil and turning it.   I put in 3 rows of onion sets (about 3 dozen in all).   I had some Chesnok red garlic I wanted to put it, but it was rotten.  I called the Southern Exposure seed folks, where I got it, they said I should be planting that in the Fall.   I knew that, but didn't get to it last year.   Oh well, garlic was an epic fail.   I will do potatoes (Yukon Gold) instead in that little spot.   I can get 4 plants in there I think.

I also had a volunteer!    Thank you Mr. Onion.

d3nni5

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 04:45:09 PM »
Planted Yukon Gold today, in the spot where the garlic was supposed to go.   Time to get seedlings started indoors.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »
Looks good, good luck.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 06:23:46 PM »

d3nni5

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 11:34:21 AM »

OK, I feel i'm a little behind, but got some seeds started today....

First the herbs:   This was simple I am growing 4 types this year...oregano, basil, cilantro and thyme

I just put them in some shallow pots I have used before.   I can pull them indoors at night if needed.

d3nni5

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 11:41:06 AM »
I picked 3 types of tomatoes, and one type of cucumber to try this year.    All these I bought last fall at Mother Earth News Fair.   I'm really excited about trying the West Virginia 63, which is a type developed by a local professor at WVU back in the 60's for the state's centennial.   Supposed to be really blight resistent and grow nicely in my area.   I also chose Amish Paste, which did really well last year.   Lastly, a Sweetie Cherry, I've never tried this, it is new too.

This is my first year for trying things from seed.   See next post.

d3nni5

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 11:46:31 AM »

I'm using these Jiffy pot starter kits.   I have heard they work well, but I've never used them.   

They start out like little discs...

After watering them and coaxing them to expand...you get this....

I made sure to label everything so I know what is what...

I dropped 2-3 seeds in each one...watered again....and covered them up.

d3nni5

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 11:53:29 AM »

I cobbled together a grow table with lights from spare stuff I had around the house.   This should keep things warm and lighted for the first couple weeks.

d3nni5

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 12:16:15 PM »

Sorry.   It has been too long since my last post.   Between all the "work" work I have, and squeezing in a fishing trip for a week, I have barely had time to keep up....

So, here we go

I bag netted my blue berries, hoping they won't get to be bird or cicada snacks.

Sweetie Cherry tomatoes have been potted.

Mucho Nacho peppers.   These are "Bonnies" from Southern States.   Never tried them.

I tried something different this year....because I hate weeding so much.  I laid down a fabric barrier then covered with straw to knock down on the work i have to do.

Silver Queen corn.

Beefmaster, Amish Paste, Roma and WV63 tomatoe varieties all in

Sugar Snap peas are always a favorite

d3nni5

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 12:19:17 PM »

I also put in the flowers a couple weeks ago.   Mainly petunias, begonias, marigolds.