Author Topic: Alas Babylon  (Read 2268 times)

Offline jackdeth

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Alas Babylon
« on: April 28, 2016, 08:02:23 AM »
I'm curious who else has read this 1959 classic?

This book is what made me start thinking about prepping ("survivalism" using the 1980's vernacular)-

I can thank my 9th grade english teacher from back in 1983 for having this as required reading. I can't seem to remember the other students reaction,  but it is one of the few book I was required to read that stuck with me.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Alas Babylon
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 08:34:17 AM »
There is a thread on favorite survivalist/distopian etc... fiction, and this book is on many peoples list.

This book is still required reading for high school in the SONlight homeschool cirriculum, so when my daughter was assigned it thru this, I also read it, and we had discussions, and she had assigned essay questions etc... on it.

I enjoyed it, and she enjoyed it also

nkawtg

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 08:47:18 AM »
Like Mountainmoma said, there is a thread on survivalist themed books.
I read Alas Babylon some 40 years ago and I picked it up again a couple of years ago and still enjoyed it.
In a lot of ways I was able to relate to this book in that I was a SAC combat crew member in the 70's and had lots of time thinking about the effects of nuclear warfare while sitting on alert.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 10:46:01 AM »
first read it ages ago and re-read it a year ago. good book

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »
Lots of food for thought in this book.  How the war starts (tensions, then an accident), figuring out a water source, dealing with marginally sane people who lose it  in the aftermath, dealing with looters, all those sorts of things.  Probably the single best survival novel prior to the genre getting rejuvenated in these last few years.  Holds up surprisingly well for being 57 years old.