Author Topic: What Is Your Carry Ammo and Why?  (Read 21155 times)

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
What Is Your Carry Ammo and Why?
« on: May 28, 2016, 11:17:03 PM »
So if you are like me; you do a lot of resurch and internet study on your carry ammo. Reviews, Balistic Gel Test, Barrel Length, Velocity Ect...

Then you test it out yourself, Reliability, Controlability, Does it shoot point of aim, point of inpact.

After all it is an important decision, I mean you trust your life to it.

So what do you carry???

How & Why did you Choose it???

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: What Is Your Carry Ammo and Why?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 07:21:30 AM »
In summer I carry Aguila 60 grain 22 long rifle in a Walther P22 .
In winter ,cooler times,I carry 125 grain 357 loaded to 1200 plus FPS in my snub Ruger.

Both hit like sledge hammers ,I have had successful encounters with both as proper placement trumps power.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 12:43:06 PM »
125 grain remington SJHP .357 mag in a Ruger snubbie...or a S&W k frame snubby.  FMJ in a .380. Winchester Ranger hp in .45 acp.

Nobody around here carries gold dots or I'd be loading them in the .45.

Offline fnfalguy

• Survivor
  • Ever learning...
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 03:00:22 PM »
9mm 124 gr +p gold dot, 1200 fps out of my carry.  Plenty of real life data on shootings with it.  Gel tests are a start, but if I can see real life shooting data, that's ideal.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 04:20:48 PM »
124 grain 9mm +p Gold Dot hollow points

I have fired for accuracy off sandbags and about 100 rounds of it for reliability  (FMJs are   obviously range fodder due to cheaper cost).

I have never tried gel testing or anything.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 08:15:27 PM »
124 grain 9mm +p Gold Dot hollow points

I have fired for accuracy off sandbags and about 100 rounds of it for reliability  (FMJs are   obviously range fodder due to cheaper cost).

I have never tried gel testing or anything.

Use milk jugs full of water. According to Dr. Fackler, it's about a 2:1 ratio for penetration...about twice as much penetration in water.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 08:45:34 PM »
Nice Guys!
Seems like Gold Dots are a favorite.
They are an old favorite of mine also cerried them for years on and off duty.

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 09:25:44 PM »
230 grain XTP's carried in a XDs

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 12:00:16 AM »

So in 9mm for years I carried Federal 9BPLE its a 115gr +P+
I carried that for years on and off duty and still have quite a bit of it. It has decades of street cred.
I'm very blessed back when the PD was buying my ammo, I fired a lot of this ammo. One week I was given 1000 rounds of it for training, so I'm confident in saying, It's good ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=W9iiaXoRaRY#t=192

Draw Backs It's Hot!!! and since it's +P+ 9mm reloading data will not list a load as hot,  you can't practice with a similar load, unless you want to practice with the hollow points.

Now I carry the Winchester Train and Defend 147gr 9mm.

Why did I choose it.
1. It's accurate, Match accurate!
2. Reliable I'm close to or over 1000 rounds with Zero Malfunctions.
3. Good balistic reports.
4. It's affordable Winchester makes the same load one training one defence. So you can practice a ballisticly Identical Load same recoil impule, same POA, POI, same profile so you know if your gun will eat it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwsVe1fxXLE&feature=player_detailpage#t=283

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 08:00:38 PM »
Have a look at some of the loads the IDPA guys shoot in 9mm to make "major". Probably hotter than +p+(which there is no SAAMI spec for, btw).

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 11:11:19 PM »
In my snub nose for years I carried Speer Gold dot 135 grain.

But I have found a load I like better its Barnes Tac-XPD 125 grain .357 mag
It advertises 1200 Fps out of a 2 inch barrel!!

From the shooting I have decided me it's super accurate, reliable and shoots POI POA with my J Frame!

PS
I was not sold on solid copper bullets at first but after my wife used Barnes Triple Shocks successfully to take several deer with a .223 no less and hearing similar things from others I let go of my hesitation.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »
Remington HD 180gr  BJHP .40 S&W.

endurance

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 08:26:22 AM »
I carry gold dot because it's well tested and hot enough to get good expansion, but not so hot that I can't fire it through my Shield.

I wish more manufacturers would label things in a way that you knew if they worked well in shorter barrels vs longer barrels. My goal is to have something that's over 1100fps at Impact since below that threshold many rounds don't expand well. But without doing a lot of personal testing, it's hard to know just which rounds will do that out the end of a 3-ish inch barrel.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 09:14:22 AM »
I carry gold dot because it's well tested and hot enough to get good expansion, but not so hot that I can't fire it through my Shield.

I wish more manufacturers would label things in a way that you knew if they worked well in shorter barrels vs longer barrels. My goal is to have something that's over 1100fps at Impact since below that threshold many rounds don't expand well. But without doing a lot of personal testing, it's hard to know just which rounds will do that out the end of a 3-ish inch barrel.

It is a mistake most people make ...expecting and or relying on handgun bullet expansion.
It is better to expect less over penetration of target and non-target contact and less ricochet potential..
Handgun knockdown is really only an effect of movies and also cannot be depended on.

I have seen a 'target' take TWO loads of "00" buck at such close range that the wads were sticking in him ,
and yet he continued the confrontation ( He lived)

I 'took' a 45 ACP to the upper leg and yet was able to deliver the message to TWO assailants without notice of my injury,
this did leave me sore for a few days and didn't hurt my tough guy rep as a truck driver.

I have learned to only trust a bullets effect on the central nervous system as a reliable 'last word' in a confrontation.
And this is why I am 'well armed' with as tiny a weapon as a Walther P22 or TPH...though I prefer a carbine.

People used to be soft targets ,but I understand that this is not always the case these day....one should carry the most power that he can shoot well and if you train well,and often,you will revert to training in stressful confrontations.

I still think I win all of the confrontations that I avoid..

I have tried to live a peaceful life,but sometimes life comes at you.
NO,I am not a LEO,though I have works closely with many of them for many years.

Get a 45 ACP or 44 special and you will never have to apologise for a non-expanding bullet.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 08:24:32 PM »

Been a while since I looked, but the bullet manufacturers used to list minimum impact velocity for expansion in load data. Sierra bullet company is usually pretty good about answering questions, even about other company's bullets.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 09:45:20 PM »
Anybody out there carry anything more unique like buffalo bore, double tap, civil defense?
I always see the stuff advertised but I don,t know anyone who carries it?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 02:56:05 AM »
Anybody out there carry anything more unique like buffalo bore, double tap, civil defense?

I have a large supply of KTW ,metal piercing 357 magnum ammo in an 8 shot Taurus revolver.

endurance

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 04:29:04 AM »
I used to carry some Israeli Improved Metal Jacketed rounds toward the bottom of my magazines as a last resort if normal Hydroshock rounds I was carrying failed to have an effect. I'm not sure they were al that good other than being an expensive talisman.

The challenge with some of the unusual highly touted rounds is that they're so expensive you don't want to shoot them. For me, I need to put a few magazines a year through my gun of my carry ammo just to know what it recoils like and be assured it feeds well.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 12:33:03 PM »
I have a large supply of KTW ,metal piercing 357 magnum ammo in an 8 shot Taurus revolver.
That should be a good robot load.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 02:21:34 PM »

1/4 inch decking will get holed...and so will autos , I also have a case or two of 45 ACP tracer rounds...but of little tactical use.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 05:47:16 PM »
Bender is not amused.

Smartassary aside, I use a little .380 for daily carry, so I searched youtube and found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts
Bulk Ammo carries the Hornady Custom XTP's (one of the top five in the gel test video) and I was placing an order anyway, so that what I've gone with.

Still need to shoot up what's left of my former carry loads, and order some more XTP.  Hurricane season is here.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 09:47:25 PM »
I carry fmj in my .380. When I last looked at gel test data, none of the self defense oriented ammo had truly reliable expansion from barrels as short as my P3AT. Most handgun ammo is tested from 4" barrels.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 09:57:50 PM »
Machininsttx
You mak check ammo quest on you tube he does a whole series on .380 from a abort barrel. Some of the new loads did pretty good. .380 has come a long way in a short time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 02:35:42 AM »
Bender is not amused.

Still need to shoot up what's left of my former carry loads, and order some more XTP.  Hurricane season is here.

What ammo will stop a hurricane????

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 06:19:05 AM »
What ammo will stop a hurricane????
Daily bag limit 1, season limit 3. ;)

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2016, 03:20:39 PM »
Machininsttx
You mak check ammo quest on you tube he does a whole series on .380 from a abort barrel. Some of the new loads did pretty good. .380 has come a long way in a short time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtPHYwcDts

I'll check it out sometime. Need to dig out my water box and save up some more milk and tea jugs to do my own testing.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 10:20:40 PM »
I've been seeing this new Browning Ammo show up at the local gun stores. It looks like good ammo. They are making target and defense (X Point ) ammo. Anyone use it or even see any Gel tests on it?

http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ba1.jpg

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2016, 09:31:46 PM »
Follow up on the Browning ammo 147 grain 9mm. I can't speak to its terminal ballistics but quality wise it's great. $13 a box and very good quality. Haven't had any problems with it.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 07:18:54 AM »

Offline simpleguy

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 08:07:14 AM »
It's been a while since I've posted, but here you go.
1.  IMHO - The minutiae matters less than getting a hit in a self defense situation.
2.  I want to use ammo along the lines of what law enforcement uses.  They will use it for the same reasons I will.  a.) They want it to work with all kinds of media (glass, clothing, etc.)  b.) They don't want over penetration.  Hitting something and going through it is not a good thing.  You want a hit to stop in it's intended target.
3.  I buy bulk, 1-3k rounds at a time, yes even self defense ammo.  The only place I've been able to reliably get that kind of bulk at decent prices is by purchasing from sgammo.com, however I'll check ammoseek.com as well.
4.  Once I've got an round I like, I see how it performs in comparison to it's peers........so I double check http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

YMMV & everyone has an opinion, but after years and years of splitting hairs on the best this and that, I'm pretty much becoming a middle of the road guy......I've got solid equipment, solid ammo and I have not been in a self defense situation yet, and God willing I never will.

Thanks,
Scotty