Author Topic: Flooding  (Read 7638 times)

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
Flooding
« on: August 15, 2016, 09:54:10 AM »
Carl,Alan you ok down there?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Flooding
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 12:49:22 PM »
From other threads I read they both were OK.

Carl is way up north, and only getting some rain as I recall.

Alan is at the Gulf Coast, but he commented that he'll only flood if it's coming from the ocean ;)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 02:38:54 PM »
Carl,Alan you ok down there?

Yes,we are both OK...Alan is SOUTH of the problem area and I am North of the flooding . Thanks for concern.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 03:25:16 PM »
Good.  Now who is in trouble? Hopefully nobody here, but the area is big enough someone from here probably is affected.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 06:25:19 PM »
Yes,we are both OK...Alan is SOUTH of the problem area and I am North of the flooding . Thanks for concern.

Glad to hear, stay safe my friend.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 08:40:50 PM »
Thanks Chad, but yeah, all's well around Carl-sburgh and Alan-town.  Now the real question...

Good.  Now who is in trouble? Hopefully nobody here, but the area is big enough someone from here probably is affected.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Louisana Flooding
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 09:08:20 AM »
I am surprised not many have posted about the flooding in the SouthEast. Louisiana flood: Worst US disaster since Hurricane Sandy, Red Cross says.

- 6,900,000,000,000 gallons of rain in one week
- In one part of Livingston Parish, more than 31 inches of rain fell in 15 hours.
- One woman, at least 36 of her relatives have lost their homes -- all 13 of them.
- "I bought enough food to last for a week in case we were flooded in, but I wasn't prepared for this much devastation,"
- "Local stores are running low on everything from food to fuel."
- 40,000+ houses destroyed and there is now a housing shortage
- 86,000 people are homeless
- The disaster area stretches over 20 parishes
-  floodwaters are draining south and still rising in some areas.
- Some 30,000 people were rescued — not just by the National Guard and official search and rescue teams, but by neighbors equipped with personal boats. The volunteer rescuers are known as the "Cajun Navy,"

Cedar

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:13:34 AM by Cedar »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Re: Lousiana Flooding
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
The forecast for last night is calling for more rain
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/it-turns-your-heart-upside-down-flooding-crisis-louisiana-far-n632921

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lch/

Louisiana flooding is worst disaster since Sandy, but people aren’t talking about it. The media is pretty much ignoring this worldwide, and in the States. I heard a blurb from someone last Friday and did not think much about it, until I came across this thread and checked out how much flooding there was/is. A couple media sources are saying, "The Louisiana flooding is a classic case of a "bad-timing” for media coverage, according to Moeller. She notes that while the floods have been covered, they’ve escaped the attention they would have received at another time.“It’s a presidential election year, and the Olympics are ongoing,” she said. “There’s very little oxygen in the newsroom for covering it.”

----> "The lack of national interest in the flood, is likely because Americans are becoming almost numb to the onslaught of human suffering. “There is a bit of disaster fatigue,” Moeller said. “We’ve seen a string of horrors over the past number of years. Yes, natural disasters, but  also very human disasters of violence.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-flood-of-2016-southeast-louisiana-the-consequences_us_57b47ffae4b0b3bb4b088bcd

Cedar

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:23:48 AM by Cedar »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 09:28:06 AM »
I am surprised not many have posted about the flooding in the SouthEast. Louisiana flood: Worst US disaster since Hurricane Sandy, Red Cross says.

- 6,900,000,000,000 gallons of rain in one week
- In one part of Livingston Parish, more than 31 inches of rain fell in 15 hours.
- One woman, at least 36 of her relatives have lost their homes -- all 13 of them.
- "I bought enough food to last for a week in case we were flooded in, but I wasn't prepared for this much devastation,"
- "Local stores are running low on everything from food to fuel."
- 40,000+ houses destroyed and there is now a housing shortage
- 86,000 people are homeless
- The disaster area stretches over 20 parishes
-  floodwaters are draining south and still rising in some areas.
- Some 30,000 people were rescued — not just by the National Guard and official search and rescue teams, but by neighbors equipped with personal boats. The volunteer rescuers are known as the "Cajun Navy,"

Cedar

Yes,we got some rain,and some 40,000 homes were flooded...
but we are getting by without even having theme music for our TV special reports.
Strange how the new would rather report ONE SHOOTING above the 15 or so lives lost to nature.
I loaned some ready made antennas and HF and VHF radio gear as support,as I am not able to travel and support
my own needs for this situation. Please understand,it is bad...just not as bad as it could be.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 09:59:39 AM »
Yes,we got some rain,and some 40,000 homes were flooded...
but we are getting by without even having theme music for our TV special reports.
Strange how the new would rather report ONE SHOOTING above the 15 or so lives lost to nature.
I loaned some ready made antennas and HF and VHF radio gear as support,as I am not able to travel and support
my own needs for this situation. Please understand,it is bad...just not as bad as it could be.

The ARRL newletter I get mentioned the area is short on radio volunteers.

"While we have had an increase in response from the Southeastern area, it's still not quite enough," Tamplain said on Tuesday. "Alabama ARES is attempting to put together a team for us. We have seen support from Southwest Mississippi as well. We had Operators at Red Cross New Orleans, Lafayette, and Baton Rouge today." Tamplain said a dozen or so operators were staffing eight shelters; nearly 30 remained open at mid-week. He asked additional volunteers to check in at Red Cross Headquarters in Baton Rouge.

Red Cross Vice President of Disaster Services, Operations, and Logistics Brad Kieserman called the Louisiana flooding the worst natural disaster to strike the US since Hurricane Sandy in 2012. Area waterways have reached record flood levels, affecting some 135,000 households and displacing thousands of residents. More than a dozen have died. Roads, including parts of Interstates 10 and 12, had to be closed, and some highways remain impassable. Most conventional telecommunication systems have remained operational.
"Significant river flooding persists this week across portions of southern Louisiana," FEMA said in its August 18 Daily Operations Briefing. "Major flooding will continue along portions of the Amite, Vermilion, Mermentau, and Calcasieu rivers." FEMA said flood conditions were "likely to persist into next week."

Noting the "desperate need" for ham radio volunteers in Louisiana, ARES volunteers in Mississippi have been asked to provide assistance. Prospective Mississippi should not self-deploy to Louisiana, but coordinate through Mississippi Section Manager Malcolm Keown, W5XX.

Primary operating frequencies are 444.950 MHz (107.2 Hz), 146.940 MHz (107.2 Hz), and 146.790 MHz (107.2 Hz). Louisiana ARES HF Frequencies now designated for use are 7.255 MHz and 3.873 MHz LSB. Digital operation is on 3.595 MHz. These should be kept clear of non-emergency traffic.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 10:26:36 AM »
I saw a quote from the Livingstone Parish Sheriff that approx 105,000 residents lost everything in the flood.  The parish has approx 140,000 residents total! :'(

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 07:38:26 PM »
The ham response from the MS Coast has been disorganized, to the point of our main ham/EOC contact saying "don't bother."  I just got off the Slidell 2m Friday night net, and here are the highlights from some people over a little farther west who went in to help:
- Water's receding in Baton Rouge, and the Red Cross shelters are being closed.  The immediate emergency is over there, and the recovery phase is beginning.
- People farther south are still needing help.
- Not much ham activity at the New Orleans Red Cross center.  They were supposed to have radios, but didn't.
- One of the hams checking in on the net was just back from two days in Vermilion Parish, said they're still in bad shape and the water's not receding there yet (it's all the way down on the Gulf; map).  As hams they provided comms to sort out MRE and water deliveries.

Listened for a while on 7.255 MHz and 3.873 MHz LSB, nothing heard beyond a regular net check-in from the north end of Louisiana.

With the weekend here, I may have a chance to run over west if I can get some coherent directions. 

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Lousiana Flooding
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 08:28:34 AM »
Louisiana flooding is worst disaster since Sandy, but people aren’t talking about it. The media is pretty much ignoring this worldwide, and in the States. I heard a blurb from someone last Friday and did not think much about it, until I came across this thread and checked out how much flooding there was/is. A couple media sources are saying, "The Louisiana flooding is a classic case of a "bad-timing” for media coverage, according to Moeller. She notes that while the floods have been covered, they’ve escaped the attention they would have received at another time.“It’s a presidential election year, and the Olympics are ongoing,” she said. “There’s very little oxygen in the newsroom for covering it.”

much more rewarding for the media to cover Trump's gaffes and cover Hillary's behind.  Also, the last time Louisiana flooded, they blamed it on the sitting president.  the MSM cannot afford for connections to be made.  They are covering the fires in CA, but that effects important people, not backwoods hillbilly rednecks.
No one knows about it because the MEDIA is not reporting it.  They are choosing the other topics. If they reported it, the people of the United States would care.

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 01:45:39 AM »
I'm going with the theory little coverage of the flood and rescue efforts themselves because of groups like the Cajun navy got together (using zello and social media) working with sheriff departments got a lot of rescue work done instead of being helpless and waiting on the federal government to step in. That scenario doesn't fit the agenda.

Now the political side, talking about the president and various candidates and their reaction to the flood, whether they should have visited or not gets more attention.

I remember how bad the devastation was in north Louisiana last spring. My daughters got to Ruston for start of a new quarter just before the flooding, had the start of a nasty rainstorm last part of their trip down
School did not start that week as planned, students not in yet couldn't make it with the road closures, etc.  In fact school started a week late. They did spend a weekend helping with cleanup efforts in Monroe. 

I spent a day last spring helping just east in Shreveport, rural area near a bayou. Mainly cutting out sheetrock, pulling up flooring and other damaged items in homes less hard hit (maybe only a couple feet of water which had already drained out) and filling up multiple dumpsters. (Dumpsters in short supply)  Exhausting work, not semething I could do two days in a row. Wheelbarrows of soggy sheetrock are heavy. House we worked on was on higher ground than much of that neighborhood.  Many were still underwater, the side road heading to lower ground at first glance looked like a boat dock as the other end was washed away.  Main road now drivable

There were still people at their flooded homes, with boats, seeing what they could rescue, checking on stuff. We heard how neighbors helped each other out when the storm first hit, making sure everyone made it out and had a dry place to sleep for the night, that neighborhood had been cut off and no way for vehicles to get in and out but thankfully not all homes were flooded, most but not all.  The garage of the house we worked on was one of the dry safe spots. Two groups (Red Cross was one) came by offering food, gumbo and black beans and rice.  Various utilities were out on boats checking on stuff, fixing stuff. 

I know that many organizations in North Louisiana had banded together so they could work together in emergencies to be more effective.  Shreveport had its own flooding issues earlier from the Red River.  Better to learn with a smaller disaster before a larger one hits.  I am not familiar with what they have going on Baton Rouge area.

Of course water drains south and the group which organized the sheet rock/clean up effort worked its way south as the flood waters receded, seeking local manpower.  Current flood is larger and hard for me to imagine.  I heard how with the spring flood they were searching via square blocks, checking on people and for the current flood they had to break it up into square miles. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 02:09:51 AM »

I spent a day last spring helping just east in Shreveport, rural area near a bayou. Mainly cutting out sheetrock, pulling up flooring and other damaged items in homes less hard hit (maybe only a couple feet of water which had already drained out) and filling up multiple dumpsters. (Dumpsters in short supply)  Exhausting work, not semething I could do two days in a row. Wheelbarrows of soggy sheetrock are heavy. House we worked on was on higher ground than much of that neighborhood.  Many were still underwater, the side road heading to lower ground at first glance looked like a boat dock as the other end was washed away.  Main road now drivable

You were less than 1/4 mile from my home! Yes it was tough for a few weeks,but we get by.Thanks for your help.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 07:24:33 PM »
Interesting article on the rarity of this event and who should have been responsible for warning the public.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/22/490916070/flooding-in-louisiana-raises-questions-about-timing-urgency-of-warnings

Between Aug. 11 and Aug. 14, more than 20 inches of rain fell in and around East Baton Rouge, one of the hardest-hit parishes. And in some parishes in the region, as much as 2 feet of rain fell in 48 hours.

The National Weather Service says the likelihood that so much rain would fall in so little time was about one-tenth of 1 percent. A flood this bad should only happen once every thousand years.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 10:00:05 AM »
quizzzzzz...who was the one that did this

early planning included mapping alternate routes for trucks delivering to stores in and around Louisiana. XXXXXXX meteorologists monitored the weather and helped inform plans. Preparations were made to ramp up shipments of essential supplies — from bottled water to baby formula — to the region as it became clear conditions would worsen.

guess if it is pre-emptive, it cannot be the goverment....

Wallmart!.....Corporate metereologists? really?
https://fee.org/articles/give-wal-mart-the-nobel-peace-prize/?utm_medium=popular_widget

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 06:23:32 PM »
One of my sons is in the Baton Rouge area this weekend helping with the cleanup effort, along with thousands of others from neighboring areas, states.  With many working together a lot of good can get done.

They drove down Friday night, slept in tents, worked all day Saturday, will sleep in tents again while in pours down rain, very short church service then more work before long drive home Sunday night. 

You can see some of his pictures here:  https://twitter.com/creationix/status/769651535319969792

@Carl  Thanks, I grew up in North Bossier. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 08:31:42 AM »
My friend found an article and passed it onto me, of that a man who went through the floors did an analysis on.. goood read
https://www.reddit.com/r/preppers/comments/4zdu2t/bugged_out_last_week_for_the_floods/

Cedar

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 09:06:52 AM »
So many people just KNOW THE GOVERNMENT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU,but don't understand the logistics of dealing with people..
YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN NEEDS in most situations,until such time as you can't...then you must accept what is given.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »
My friend found an article and passed it onto me, of that a man who went through the floors did an analysis on.. goood read
https://www.reddit.com/r/preppers/comments/4zdu2t/bugged_out_last_week_for_the_floods/

Cedar

Thanks for sharing.  It was good after-action report and gave some great tips.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 08:50:04 AM »
So many people just KNOW THE GOVERNMENT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU,but don't understand the logistics of dealing with people..
YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR OWN NEEDS in most situations,until such time as you can't...then you must accept what is given.

On that note, my employer is offering a 2:1 match for flood relief.  Unfortunately the two agencies applicable for this are:

1) American Red Cross
2) Salvation Army

Neither are my first choice for charities, but if I only donated $25, that turns in $75 ($25 + 2*$25).

Anyone in the region have an endorsement for/against these relief organizations?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 09:42:50 AM »
It would be better to look up an area church and donate  more directly as these organized charities spend the majority of donations for payroll and office support and the sad tale on donated goods/clothing is that the logistics don't exist to clean and distribute such items and they often just go to a landfill.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 09:52:46 AM »
It would be better to look up an area church and donate  more directly as these organized charities spend the majority of donations for payroll and office support and the sad tale on donated goods/clothing is that the logistics don't exist to clean and distribute such items and they often just go to a landfill.

I had heard similar stories about donated goods being trashed.  Cash is king.

As I said, these aren't my favorite charities, but for the next week my donation would be tripled.
Thanks

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 09:57:36 AM »
From my personal observations,Salvation Army is the least 'top heavy' of the two organizations.