Author Topic: 9mm Reloading for 16" barrel  (Read 6453 times)

Offline VTaero

• Survivor
9mm Reloading for 16" barrel
« on: January 02, 2010, 01:17:14 PM »
Does anyone reload for a 9mm carbine?  Anybody have a loading manual for with 9mm loads and a slower burning powder?

All the reloading data I have for 9mm is for 4" barrels. I know I can use that for  my 16" barrel, but I want to find something optimized for the longer barrel. 

I'm really looking to find two loads, although I have a few others in my mind.
1. shoots approximately the same velocity as standard target ammo, but with less recoil due to a less steep pressure curve.   
2. subsonic load same as above

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
Re: 9mm Reloading for 16" barrel
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 01:35:54 PM »
I have a semiauto with a 16" barrel that I load for.

I've only chronied Titegroup and Unique loads through it and prefer the slower Unique.  (I prefer and load a lot of Unique in both 45 and 9mm, so this doesn't mean much really.)  I have shot some max Power Pistol loads through it too.
All functioned fine and felt roughly the same but my gun has a very heavy bolt/carrier and was designed for hot ammo.
On subsonic loads obviously start with a 147g bullet; the loads I chronied through the 16" barrel ran roughly 225-250 fps faster vs a G19.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 06:21:27 PM »
Keep in mind that the 9mm was intended to be shot from a handgun.  When you start pushing the limits of the round, you may start to see problems such as split cases (jam in a bad situation) or primers being pushed out (jam in a bad situation).

The carbines were designed around the standard loads available for that cartridge.  For safety's sake, I wouldn't push it too far.

However, as cohutt suggested, using a slower burning powder may help a teensy bit. . .but, if you use that ammo for handguns, expect lower velocities, potential failures to function and giant, pumpkin-sized flashballs.

Just some thoughts.

The Professor

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:59:24 AM »
The mere fact that you want sub sonic means you can't have standard velocity.  I would imagine that recoil would not be an issue in a carbine even with +p ammo.  The extra weight will soak up any recoil.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 05:57:10 PM »
The mere fact that you want sub sonic means you can't have standard velocity.  I would imagine that recoil would not be an issue in a carbine even with +p ammo.  The extra weight will soak up any recoil.

Your correct, +P is not much different in my HP 995 than regular stuff. It is a little louder and has a little more recoil but nothing huge.

Offline VTaero

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:30:41 AM »
I didnt mean subsonic and standard velocity. I am aware that is not possible (well I guess technically it is possible, but I would have to be shooting from below sea level). I meant subsonic, but with slower burning powder to smooth out the recoil. 

Actually the carbine kicks pretty good. It really surprised me.  It really doesn't weigh very much either only 4 lbs, although I guess that is about twice the weight of a full size pistol.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 10:41:19 PM »
So when trying to get higher velocities with a rifle you use slower burning powder (than powders listed for a handgun usually use).

So I would say with this logic find a powder burn rate chart (usually in the front or back of your reloading manual.) Find a powder you like towards the slower burn rate end or the burn rate chart that is listed for 9mm.

Logically this would give you best results. PS basillistics can be tricky a chronograph is money well spent.

PPS stay in plublished load data.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Burn%20Rates%20-%202015-2016.pdf

Chart above

If I were choosing for this application
I really like
Title group
Long shot
CFE pistol

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.