Author Topic: Charge a battery from Atmospheric static  (Read 6456 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Charge a battery from Atmospheric static
« on: August 30, 2016, 05:10:05 PM »
Yes, you can collect static on a wire antenna and charge a battery. The simple circuit uses an old automotive ignition coil,some wire for the antenna ,a spark plug and a couple of simple components.

LETHAL VOLTAGES can be found ,so care must be used with this simple circuit. It is said that an auto battery can be fully charged in a day or two with a windy day and low humidity.
This is NOT a project to attempt without some electrical knowledge as lethal voltages will be present on the circuit.

High voltage collects in the capacitor until it SPARKS across the spark plug and then the high voltage is stepped down in the ignition coil to a lower voltage/higher current  that is rectified by the diode to charge the battery...

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
Re: Charge a battery from Atmospheric static
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
Are you powering the ignition coil in reverse? 

What gauge wire for the antenna?  Does it need to be stretched out, or is coiled up fine?  I have a spool of really light gauge wire that might lend itself well to a project like this.  (It came with my dogs electronic fence, but I used heavier gauge wire) 

Do all ground wires go to the battery, or does it require an earth ground? 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 08:47:26 PM »
So I grew up with these things down the road which are from Bonneville Power. These lines often pop, snack and crackle with static in the air, so you are saying you can charge batteries with that? Often we are fearful of getting anywhere near these things we could hear at home a half mile or better away.

Cedar

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 09:33:27 PM »
It is said that an auto battery can be fully charged in a day or two with a windy day and low humidity.
That last part makes it all moot for me!  Interesting idea though Carl, thanks for posting.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 10:46:44 PM »
Are you powering the ignition coil in reverse? 

What gauge wire for the antenna?  Does it need to be stretched out, or is coiled up fine?  I have a spool of really light gauge wire that might lend itself well to a project like this.  (It came with my dogs electronic fence, but I used heavier gauge wire) 

Do all ground wires go to the battery, or does it require an earth ground?

The wire needs to be stretched out to collect static and should be heavy enough to support it's own weight...yes the ignition coil is used BACKWARDS as a transformer.EARTH ground is needed to provide a path for the static to go as it interacts with the coil.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 10:50:20 PM »
That last part makes it all moot for me!  Interesting idea though Carl, thanks for posting.

Yea,it is hard to get static when you are below water...but I am working on a battery charge project that involves a plastic comb and a cat....it will revolutionize the home power industry... :spit:

Offline vardaman

• Prepper
  • NABCEP Certified Solar Hot Water Installer

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 06:27:01 AM »
Who is John Galt?  Now we know.   ;)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 06:28:30 PM »
Who is John Galt?  Now we know.   ;)
And why Galt's Gulch is in Colorado.  This thing requires lots of cool, dry wind and "Galt's Swamp" just doesn't have the weather.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »
^^ My question up there was serious. With all that crackling and popping I am presuming that is static electricity. Would this be safe or not Carl? Maybe not right under them, but even sorta close?

Cedar

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 10:12:40 PM »
You sure can... walk under them with a T5 bulb, lol.
https://youtu.be/tRLNNrHg2QE
https://youtu.be/0D50Dcvzkr4

High voltage transmission lines are functionally not unlike a giant tesla coil. It's not enough juice to power big appliances, but stored in a battery bank, you can accumulate a significant amount over time. If your power needs are very low and not mission critical, you can collect some energy from transmission leaks. It's not in the same league as solar or wind in terms of power generated and reliability, but it hasn't really been as developed.

If you're looking to charge a few small batteries (a cell phone, flash light etc) with some free power, use your phone line.
https://youtu.be/cUxx-4bUo4Q

However Carl's diagram is more like the attempts to build Nikola Tesla's "Radiant Energy Capture Circuit". Tesla had many diagrams for this device, in various stages of development, with many forked revisions and small-scale prototypes (which produced very little power by today's standards). However, he was convinced that there was a multiplicative effect of scale efficiency, and with a large station, he could power the world for free. Some of his math doesn't quite add up, but he also produced better results than we have been able to recreate, even today.

Some say Tesla doctored the results in an attempt to get funding, and intended to refine the idea after being awarded a contract (something he was known to do, and a common practice at the time). Others believe he was aware of aspects of the design which were not accounted for in his diagrams, and we haven't recreated whatever breakthrough he had. He was known to omit critical details from documents as a means of protecting the idea from patent thieves. He would prove the principal idea on paper, but without the technique and implementation, a thief could never reproduce his results. Personally, I think the truth lies in a mix of those two theories. He was an undeniable genius and a fantastic showman.

These devices have their uses, but compared to other technologies, are usually considered a novelty. There are few situations where a more reliable or greater source of power isn't already available. In the right niche however, it does have it's uses. My only experiences with such a system are on a much smaller scale however, lighting an LED, not charging a car battery. It should work, but I can't attest to it's efficiency or practicality. Most of the Youtube videos on this topic are fabricated bullshit. When you look at other posts from people who claim to have perfected these systems, you find a lot of hype and little truth ("Free Energy" is always click-bait).  I'd love to hear more about the actual real-world experiences with this circuit.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 10:21:57 PM »
Thanks I.L.W. +1

Cedar

Online Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 01:42:11 PM »