Author Topic: Super Antenna MP1C All Band HF VHF Ham,NO TUNER NEEDED  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Super Antenna MP1C All Band HF VHF Ham,NO TUNER NEEDED
« on: September 06, 2016, 08:22:16 AM »
The Super Antenna MP1C is a manually tuned antenna that can be used on 40 meter HF through UHF with adjustment or re-configuring .
I have used this and a similar Blue Star antenna for many successful contacts as a portable and or mobile antenna.
I use a 5 inch magnetic mount when the auto is not being driven,or the vice grip mount for metal fences,old vehicles etc...
or a 3/8 x 24 mount on a $10 camera tripod with 3 or more 17 foot long radials/counterpoises in place.

The 7 feet tall antenna is very effective for it's small comparative size and often within a DB of a full half wave dipole. This antenna
is a great portable antenna at about 2 pounds and takes down to under a foot long ...it fits nicely into the welding rod case I picked up
at Harbor Freight. The antenna can be deployed within a few minutes and ,with the measure provided,be tuned pretty close to your desired match
without need of an SWR meter or analyzer. This is a real plus when a tuner is not desired or available...is this worth $130 ???

When I compare it to a 7 foot tall HF MFJ or Workman mobile whip the signals compare favorably ,but the single band antennas are narrow banded
and the super antenna is adjustable...plus the single band whips are about $25 each when shipped,so the Super Antenna MP1C wins for flexibility
and it can be used as a side mount (horizontal) for NVIS while the fence or auto is stationary...BIG PLUS.

Note that with my LDG auto antenna matcher I was able to use a single 20 meter (or 40 meter) MFJ whip antenna on 10 through 40 meters about
as effective as the tunable Super Antenna...I still rather use wire antennas,but for speed and ease of deployment...these portable antennas are GREAT!

I also have added a BuddiPole whip that is nearly 3 feet longer than the provided whip and does improve the received signal significantly...for a $12 whip
that feels much sturdier...well worth the price.Note that I did sleve my antenna with heat shrink for glare and rattle reduction.

Super Antenna MP1C

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GWW0N5Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=21UV0BYV3WTZU&coliid=IONCGN00UZGMN

MFJ HF Whip:  http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1110&products_id=34882&osCsid=qnv3ata4enjtv4kh2o1ljcdns0

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 08:49:09 AM by Carl »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Super Antenna MP1C All Band HF VHF Ham,NO TUNER NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:54:04 AM »
You've caught my interest. 

Things I like:

portable
works on many bands
adjustable for use without tuner

The common 3/8x24 mount is nice as well, though running 3+ 17' counterpoise wires does add a little more deployment effort in some situations.

All that said, this style of antenna seems like it should be accessible to the operator for adjustment.  If it was mounted atop a sailboat mast, it would seem a serious hassle if you wanted to change bands, and climb up and tweak the antenna configuration :)

Since you've demonstrated to me and other new(er) hams the effectiveness of cheap homemade antennas, $130 seems a little steep, but we're paying for flexibility.

Offline DonC

• Survivor
  • We have met the Enemy and he is us......
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »
I've seen these antennas of Carls! For the price and construction, they are quite the antenna! I haven't seen them in use, but I am sure they performed just fine! The entire setup is extremely simple and portable! (Note the giant "matchbox" container he's able to store the antenna in).

I will say this, something I hadn't seen, nice touch Carl, on adding the heatshrink to the antenna. Serves both a functional and a cosmetic appeal for the antenna! Awesome report! Definitely wanna order a set for myself one day! I know how well certain antennas work as apparent by my use of the MFJ Apt. Antenna! I think this would be better and even more portable!

KUDOS!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 09:26:42 AM »
With the 'erector set' commonality of 3/8 x 24 antenna parts a lot can be done...I like some parts from the BUDDIPOLE...
http://www.buddipole.com/antenna-accessories.html

As the whips and mast sections are good and the shock cord whips are cool...I also like the Super Antenna coil ,for adjustment,better as it is slide adjustable EASIER and can be adjusted by tuning for highest noise while listening or by the provided measure. For a lower cost adjustable coil the WOLF RIVER COIL is OK  http://wolfrivercoils.com/products/sb_1000.php

But when you add up the cost...the Super Antenna MP1C is a smoother/lower overall cost unit...I have the BLUE STAR(about $100),a SUPER ANTENNA MP1C ($130)and also Wolf River coil ($60)and find the Super Antenna MP1C as a bargain for function and utility...though I could get by with the single band whips if I had too.

Also HUSTLER makes threaded sections for antennas and this is something to collect pieces and parts for at Ham fests etc as cost NEW for many of these small parts is crazy with shipping...but I started collecting a few years ago and have you beat for parts ...for now. Here is ann idea someone may want to follow up on for a portable option...

http://wb9dlc.com/Portable_Vertical_Antenna.htm

I also must add,that a coil can be made on a piece of PVC and utilized with a gator clip as a selector/tuner...but not nearly as easy as the ready made Super Antennas MP1C and I bet the coil could be bought alone...but the full antenna is worth the price as a stationary antenna and it is top rated at a portable Ham users sight:

http://hfpack.com/antennas/shootoutvertical2002.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:33:45 AM by Carl »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 10:37:07 AM »
A simple photo tripod and a 3/8 x 24 antenna mount...Tripod $10 and mount $7

The VICE GRIP mount and 5 inch magnetic mount can be about $15 each on AMAZON.

And my 40 meter Wolf River coil

Note the slider to adjust and plastic screw to lock adjustment.

Offline Clinging Bitterly

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 10:42:40 PM »
I have this antenna, I bought the kit on Amazon which has the 80M coil, the titanium wire whip, and the tiny screw together tripod (along with the standard telescopic whip and the c-clamp mount).

I travel by air fairly often and I wanted something I could put in a kit (along with my FT-817ND) in a thin attache' dropped into my regular luggage.   This fits the bill with it's light weight and knocked down length of 12".   I didn't think the titanium whip would fit in my space limitations but I found it could easily coil into a 12" circle and drop into the attache' along with everything else, and it is certainly more rugged than the telescopic so I keep it in the travel case along with everything else.   Here are the things I like most about this antenna:

Low impact - with the included tripod this antenna is entirely self supporting.   Many of us are also fond of wire antennas such as the classic 9:1 un-un fed random wire, but with that we need tree(s) or other support to get the wire into the air.   This antenna stands on it's own, you go into a park or wherever and you don't need to disturb anything in your surroundings, just screw the pieces together, lay out your counterpoise wires, stand it up on it's feet and operate.

High Q, high efficiency, no tuner needed - this antenna is basically a screwdriver antenna without the electric motor.   Though the radiating element is only 7' long the performance on 20M and above is almost equal to a full size vertical antenna, and it is no slouch on 40M.   This is superior to most of the "wander lead" adjustable loading coil antennas from Buddipole, Outbacker, MFJ and various Chinese manufacturers, select the right counterpoise wire (or just use them all) and move the sleeve up or down the coil to tune to resonance in seconds.    Mo magic "all band no tuner" gimmicks here (resistors), you tune to resonance all the fire goes to the wire.  Use the telescopic whip without the coil and adjust for length to have a full size vertical for 6M, 2M, 1.25M, or 70CM, no goofy lobes directing most of your power to the sky (or the ground) to be absorbed.

True vertical antenna, low angle, works DX - needs no explanation.

There are still times and circumstances where you will like your wire and un-un or whatever else you use, but the MP-1 will generally get you farthest on the higher HF bands.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 03:13:44 AM »
Clinging Bitterly Karma for you,Great post supporting the antenna I have had such success . I use a larger speaker support tripod now as I often mount different antennas and find it more stable in wind and weight capacity of 125 pounds will hold most any antenna. I understand the need to be more portable for air travel and the MP1 is hard to beat for a portable antenna.