Author Topic: Zippo Hand Warmer Review  (Read 3270 times)

Offline buffcleb

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Buffcleb
Zippo Hand Warmer Review
« on: October 28, 2013, 03:06:42 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OUYZqy-d5Q

I have several older Jon-e style hand warmers and last fall I picked up a Zippo to compare it to then. I got it from Amazon for a little under $20 then. The price has gone down some.

After a year of use I like the Zippo as much as the older Jon-e ones. I did mod the heater element (poked a hole in the fiberglass with a paper clip) which I found made it easier to light.

If you have an older Jon-e and need a replacement burner they can be made to fit with a little squeezing. I did this with one of my old ones that had a damaged burner.

I have read you can use coleman fuel in them but have not tested it myself... its on my todo list for this fall.

I also wrote a little something up with links here with some photos of the old "manual" and links to the hand warmers on amazon and ebay...

http://www.bethnchris.com/2013/10/28/review-zippo-hand-warmer/

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Zippo Hand Warmer Review
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »
Nice review.  Thanks for sharing.

I have one of the old models buried in my stuff in my mother's basement.  I'll have to dig it out and see what kind of shape it's in.

Offline buffcleb

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Buffcleb
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 06:44:24 AM »
Nice review.  Thanks for sharing.

I have one of the old models buried in my stuff in my mother's basement.  I'll have to dig it out and see what kind of shape it's in.

I like my older ones more for no particular reason... if the burner is damaged you can try the new zippo burner... it fit one of mine after a little squeezing...

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 08:08:01 AM »
I use zippo hand warmers to keep my sleeping bags warm when I camp in cold weather.

They work great.

To light mine I usually squirt a little fluid on the burner and light it, and let the flame die down on its own then blow a couple of times on the element to make sure it is glowing before putting the cap on and throwing it in the pouch.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 12:04:09 PM »
gonna resurrect this one.

It's been cold lately and I love keeping my Zippo hand warmer in my pocket. Out in the shop (I try to keep 40 degrees) it's just the thing for warming up my hand if I'm doing delicate work and have taken off my gloves. I light it with my morning coffee and I know I have 12 hours of gentle heat in my pocket if I'm in the shop or running to the mailbox or if I have to run errands.

I've taken it to a football game or two and had my wife steal it. It's just a really good product. Even on a cool night fishing I will toss it in the pouch on my hoodie and when my hands get cold tuck them in and take a couple minutes to warm them up. I'm not claiming it to be a life saver but it sure makes me a lot more comfortable.

Best part: you're all-in for about $25. Unit and fuel. Maybe it's something nice to have on a cool night out with friends.

I think I posted this elsewhere before but being as it was in the negatives today it gets another positive review.