Author Topic: Water filters for backpack hunting  (Read 910 times)

Offline Whish

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Water filters for backpack hunting
« on: February 22, 2019, 03:20:21 AM »
Does anyone have any experience/reviews for backcountry water filters? We are heading out to Colorado this fall for an elk hunting trip and are planning on backpacking in and camping. I don't want to be bringing in any more water weight than I have to, to start with. I want the weight to be no more than a pound if possible and as small as possible, but still able to work efficiently to fill a couple water bladders when needed. I have my options narrowed down to four filters.
MSR Hyperflow, MSR Sweetwater, Katadyn vario, or Katadyn Hiker Pro.
Any thoughts about water filters?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Water filters for backpack hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 03:33:57 AM »
Only filters that I have are the Sawyer products.  They are in my BOBs and unused, except the test one I've used.  A lot of the thru hikers use them because they are light and do the job.  They also screw onto a disposable water bottle. (i.e. Smart Water)   But they are ceramic filters, so you can't let them freeze.

If I was in your situation, I'd probably have one of the camp sized water filters in camp and each hunter have a Sawyer Mini with a water bottle on them.  This would allow you to find water while out hunting.  Could easily run out of water while out tracking.

For the camp filter, I like the idea of the bigger gravity fed filters.  Just fill the bag and let it drip all day while you are not in camp.

When you get the chance, please stop over at the Intro Thread and introduce yourself.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:18:08 PM »
Does anyone have any experience/reviews for backcountry water filters? We are heading out to Colorado this fall for an elk hunting trip...

Good question, and it has been asked before.

Nodak Angler Forum, 7/12/16: Water filters for backpack hunting

Does anyone have any experience/reviews for backcountry water filters? We are heading out to Colorado this fall for an elk hunting trip and are planning on backpacking in and camping. I don't want to be bringing in any more water weight than I have to...

Spammer banned :happydance: but I'll leave the thread open.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 08:55:53 PM »
Good question, and it has been asked before.
Spammer banned :happydance: but I'll leave the thread open.

Thanks Mr. Bill.  It's a topic that needs to be brought up from time to time because the technology has been changing so rapidly.  Here's a link to a recent survey at a backpacker site: https://sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/10-best-backpacking-water-filters/  Interesting, because this is coming from people who use them regularly.

Offline gnoticpasta

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 09:40:53 PM »
I seen the Katadyn hiker pro was mentioned a lot in the other thread... I'd just like to add, i've used katadyn products for many years, and the hiker pro for the last 7-8 years for backpacking.  It's light at just under a pound (not as light as the straw types) and you can pump a lot of water with it.  The sawyer is good as well, but i think the pump has an advantage over the gravity/squeeze types.

2 cents.

Dan

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 11:47:42 PM »
I have tried several and the sawyer squeeze is my current favorite.  You can screw it onto a smart water bottle and drink from the straw end. You can also hook it up as a gravity feed system.  lightest and most versitle system.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 06:21:39 PM »
The nice thing about the Katadyn is that it can be taken apart and dried between trips.  Without a doubt though, the various Sawyers are simpler and lighter.  Ken, do these things grow funk inside between trips, or...?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 09:00:21 PM »
Expert Council member "Dixie" Mills talks about this topic on her youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Agdf1aNVE&frags=pl%2Cwn

Nothing astonishing but hey, when experience speaks, it's worth listening.