Author Topic: What tent do you use?  (Read 15560 times)

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
Re: What tent do you use?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2016, 04:44:10 PM »
I like to use a 3x3m canvas tarp.

Offline ericksonrs

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 09:47:43 AM »
I have and love the Kodiak Canvas 8 person tent.  It is NOT a backpacking tent, but I thought I'd chime in because I like it so much. 

We use them in our scout troop and I was so impressed I bought one for my family.  I can set it up in 10 Minutes by myself so my family can work on other things.

It is also easy enough that 4-6 12 year olds can set it up themselves.

They are scout troop durable for over a decade and good to four seasons.  Definitely an investment worth making.

https://www.amazon.com/Kodiak-Canvas-Flex-Bow-Deluxe-8-Person/dp/B001NZWQ1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477583246&sr=8-1&keywords=kodiak+canvas

Offline DheereCrossing

• Prepper
  • Who am I again?
    • OMG Leatherworks
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »
I wound up with the Kelty 4 person tent.  I took it to Jack's place for the October 2016 workshop and will be taking it to the Spring 2017 workshop later this month.  It was hot here in October and the tent had semi-decent ventilation if I wanted to keep the fly lowered for privacy.  I'm hoping the temps will be OK at the end of March.

It wasn't the easiest thing to put up by myself but I got it.  Putting stakes in that rocky ground was not fun.

Size wise, I think it would be tight for 3 people with gear inside the main tent but that's what the vestibules are for - two doors with vestibules.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2017, 04:53:36 PM »
Perhaps surprising to folks in Texas, ventilation is equally important when camping in very cold weather.  That $100 2 man REI tent did really well.  It was awkward to prepare the surface, as it was 4 feet of packed snow.  It settled a bit overnight.  Night #2 was all lumpy as it thawed a little during the day.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2017, 05:05:41 PM »
I ordered a solplex (single person tent) from Zpacks and it shipped this week, along with one of their 40 degree bags! I am also busy with the freeze dryer as I have a 30 day backpacking trip coming up!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2017, 11:15:35 PM »
I ordered a solplex (single person tent) from Zpacks and it shipped this week, along with one of their 40 degree bags! I am also busy with the freeze dryer as I have a 30 day backpacking trip coming up!

30 days??? Holy crap.  I'm impressed.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2017, 01:01:27 AM »
Excellent +1

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2017, 09:25:15 PM »
Anyone ever used the Kodiak Canvas tents? Was thinking of picking up the 10x14 flex bow. No stove jack is the only thing I don't like so far. Could put one in. Don't know yet. Was also thinking of setting up a van as well. Buying a piece of land to build a house in the near future.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 08:01:07 AM »
I'm not sure which is more unlikely for me to take part in, snow camping or a 30 day backpacking trip.  Hats off to both of you, Smurf and FF.

Offline kevinsims

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 10:16:01 PM »
I use a Coleman 6 person tent. When they say 6 person tent, what they really mean is 4 people, cosily. Its a good summer / fall tent though. I think its about $60, but I got it when it was on sale for $40. I am entirely happy with it as a $40 or $60 dollar tent. Its built well enough that it'll last you for a while. There are cheaper ones, but expect them not to last very long and be flimsy.  Its worth spending more if you are a backpacker, or plan on winter camping, but for our use case, that really isn't necessary.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »
I use a Coleman 6 person tent. When they say 6 person tent, what they really mean is 4 people, cosily. Its a good summer / fall tent though. I think its about $60, but I got it when it was on sale for $40. I am entirely happy with it as a $40 or $60 dollar tent. Its built well enough that it'll last you for a while. There are cheaper ones, but expect them not to last very long and be flimsy.  Its worth spending more if you are a backpacker, or plan on winter camping, but for our use case, that really isn't necessary.

I started with that around 15-20 years back.  When you have NO camping gear and don't actively camp out, spending hundreds on a tent seems unwise.
The Coleman tents are perfectly comfortable and a good value for fair weather camping.

If you plan to camp at least 3 seasons, in poor weather, low light, by yourself (because your wife is in the car during the thunder shower), there is a quality benefit to a premium brand tent.
Start with the cheap brand, and if you wear it out from frequent use, that means you can justify investing in higher cost material/design later.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2017, 11:30:13 PM »

I have ultralight MSR tents that go for almost $300 but if you know someone who works at LL Bean you can sometimes get them from returns for $10.

It's good to have a tent that can be used just as a screenhouse or without the fly to take a nap on a hot summer day without the bugs and maximum air flow. Sometimes lightweight screened hammocks are good to nap in too and will fit easily in a day pack

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2018, 07:46:44 PM »
Backpacking tents are light and expensive.  The majority of them are made of mesh with ultralight poles and a tissue thin tarp and floor.  They typically come with a footprint that protects the tent and adds weight.  When looking at the weight of the tent, check the footprints as well, as they typically are sold separately.

I have a Big Agnes Fly Creek.  Which I use when weather may be an issue.   It is large enough to store my bag, and had an area outside the tent to keep my boots dry. The mesh style ventilates well, and doesnt allow a lot of interior condensation. But it was pricey.

Typically when it is clear skies, a simple bivy or tarp works great and is much lighter.  Some hammocks work well too, although after a few days they tend to hurt my back. 

I wouldn’t spend the money on a backpacking tent unless you are doing 3 days plus a few times a year or doing more than 50 miles.  Or...if you have the money :)