Author Topic: The 15-Minute Shotgun  (Read 10549 times)

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
The 15-Minute Shotgun
« on: September 25, 2016, 01:40:31 PM »
I have a new e-book on Kindle about home-built slamfire shotguns.

The title is:
 The 15-Minute Shotgun

A Legal 12-ga. Shotgun You
Can Build For Less Than $10.00
In Less Than 15 Minutes

By S. W. Smith

I'm really pleased that in writing this book I have come up with two safety features not seen before on slamfire shotguns. One is the use of Safety Rings to prevent premature and accidental discharges, and the other is a simple safety that locks the barrel. That allows the gun to be safely carried on one hand, which is nice when one has to move around on difficult terrain.

It's $2.99 on Kindle, and reviews would be much appreciated.

Here's the Official Blurb:

The 15-Minute Shotgun is the definitive book on slamfire shotguns. Fully illustrated, it shows step-by-step how to make the simplest, easiest, and least expensive single-shot 12-ga. shotgun in the shortest amount of time, using only a few common hand tools. It covers proper operation, including loading, firing, and speed-firing, as well as safe handling, testing, strength of materials, Federal firearm regulations, and the Anti-Federal Insurance Policy. Various upgrades and enhancements are also shown, leading to the construction of uniquely personalized, effective, attractive, and very enjoyable firearms. All necessary tools are listed, as well as the required materials along with their sources and current prices. For subsistence hunting, casual target shooting, personal and home defense, all-out guerilla warfare, or even the impending Zombie Apocalypse, The 15-Minute Shotgun will give you the biggest bang for your buck.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: The 15-Minute Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 02:44:30 PM »
Reminds me of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator
On the kindle now, in the reading stack.  Thanks!

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 03:31:27 PM »
Yeah--kinda.

Working on the pistol now. That's the next book in line.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 08:07:12 PM »
There is NO WAY that is legal, Because I said so.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 03:33:31 PM »
The great thing about having a 12-ga shotgun pistol with a six-inch barrel is that you can make it for less than $10.00 and carry it concealed.

All you need is a CC Permit (where required).

And, oh yes--that $200.00 Federal Tax Stamp.

It's not so different from the 15-Minute Shotgun, except that it actually has a stigger, and you can wave one with each hand...

Hmmm. Better make that $400.00 in Tax Stamps. Don't want to only half-legal.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 04:51:10 PM »
By the time you do all the proper paperwork to make your own,you can legally buy five.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 02:38:50 PM »
By the time you do all the proper paperwork to make your own,you can legally buy five.

I thought a hobbyist could fabricate their own firearm without any paperwork, but the restriction being that it may never be transferred.

Assuming NFA regulations are met (no short barrels, etc.), is it not perfectly legal to fabricate a firearm at home, as long as it's never transferred?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 03:43:11 PM »
I thought a hobbyist could fabricate their own firearm without any paperwork, but the restriction being that it may never be transferred.

Assuming NFA regulations are met (no short barrels, etc.), is it not perfectly legal to fabricate a firearm at home, as long as it's never transferred?

Yes, I forget that when I was part of a licensed manufacturer,I could not do that,but an individual can...you are correct.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 04:50:09 PM »
Since the AR pistol boom hit CA, I think you can even sell a homemade firearm if you serialize it.  I think there is a limit as to how many you can sell, kinda like if you sell so many cars a year now you are a dealership and need to pay taxes accordingly.  Not 100% though, and I can't think of a situation where I would sell a home built firearm. 

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 05:32:18 PM »
Bought the book and am enjoying it very much. I like reading and watching such things.  Have you considered doing a video and having Paladin Press distribute it?  It would fit in nicely with their other materials.

Since the AR pistol boom hit CA, I think you can even sell a homemade firearm if you serialize it.

You can only sell it if your original intent in making it was not to sell it, that is that it was for personal use only.  To prove this you generally need to keep it for several years, make a very small number (preferably one), and have a compelling reason to sell, for example needing money to pay bills.  Otherwise you are opening yourself up to being declared an unlicensed manufacturer. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 06:10:38 PM »
Since the AR pistol boom hit CA, I think you can even sell a homemade firearm if you serialize it.  I think there is a limit as to how many you can sell, kinda like if you sell so many cars a year now you are a dealership and need to pay taxes accordingly.  Not 100% though, and I can't think of a situation where I would sell a home built firearm.

Legally,you can not make any firearm in this manner with INTENT TO SELL (unless you are a licensed manufacturer) and can not sell one without a serial number, I just read that.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 08:59:46 PM »
Yep. You guys are right.

You can make anything generally considered "legal" for your own use. And you can make the so-called "not-legal" stuff if you have the necessary licenses and/or tax stamps. That's as in full-auto, suppressed, and short-barrelled shotguns.

Also correct on selling, giving, and/or transferring them.

But for your own use, you can make as many as you like.

There is, however, one small but tasty exception to that selling restriction.

Apparently there is NO restriction on selling your home-made 15-minute shotguns--say, a dozen at a time--if you are participating in a government buy-back program.

Case in point: A guy with one in Minneapolis.

http://www.citypages.com/news/gun-fans-mock-minneapolis-buyback-program-over-crude-homemade-shotgun/391744431

And a guy with four in Fredricksburg.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/12/22/5-homemade-shotguns-handed-100-gun-give-back/

And then there's the one where a slamfire shotgun was handed in at Newport--but refused by the police, who said it was non-functional.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/02/04/newport-buyback-refuse-accept-hello-kitty-pipe-shotgun/

Of course, the police were wrong, but they were standing on their fiduciary principles, I guess.

An interesting thing about the Newport one is that it looks much like the version in my Kindle book--except that it lacks the safety rings I invented to prevent accidental discharges. Then too, it was before my book came out, come to think of it.

(Duh!)

Anyhow, anybody that's into loud noises, cheap kicks, and long-term survival, ought to build their own slamfire--even if it's just a .410 BOB-queen for subsistence hunting.

Offline 6scans

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 05:58:34 AM »
Just bought Kindle book. Very much looking forward to reading it, and your pistol book too when you're done.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 03:35:56 PM »
Hey, 6scans,

Just wanted to say thank you very much for grabbing a copy of the book.

If you feel inclined, you can leave a review for it on Amazon.

Likewise if you have any questions about the book or slamfires in general, I'll be happy to answer them as best I can.

My short story The BOB Queen reflects the fact that I kind of discovered that the first one I made fits perfectly in the gym bag I use for a BOB.

Wrap the stock in a towel and it looks so innocent is almost embarrassing. It just doesn't have the lines that scream "GUN!!!" to a casual observer.

My barrel is too short for the walking stick trick, but I could probably tie one of those large exercise bands to it and convince people that it's my EXO-FLEX WONDER-CURL BICEP BLASTERĀ®, rather than the kind of blaster it really is...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 04:05:25 PM »
While Federal law is OK , check your STATE LAW before building and using ZIP GUNS below is part of TEXAS law.

"It is an offense to intentionally or knowingly possess, manufacture, transport, repair, or sell a machine gun, a short-barrel rifle or shotgun, or a zip gun except in limited circumstances."

State laws are  can be the real GOTCHA!

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 04:52:36 PM »
Yeah, zip guns are a no go in CA too.  Although, from calguns forum
A lot of people tend to be scared of CA's zip-gun law being overly vague and believe that it prevents you from being a home gunsmith and inventing and building your own firearms. Many legal guys have always said to be safe just make sure you're copying an existing design... But what about coming up with your OWN design?

Well, I don't think the zip-gun law will apply or be enforceable in CA.

Look at some of my analysis here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...7&postcount=67

For the zip-gun law to be enforceable, a tax must be payable on whatever firearm you're building. I think the politicians actually knew exactly what they were doing in this case, and left the law wide-open for home-builders, even those who were coming up with their own designs.

MOST of your typical guns that you and I would define as a zip-gun would fall under the ATF's definition of an AOW, of which there is a $200 tax due to manufacture one, even for personal use. But AOW's fall under the guidelines of Title 2 firearms.

As a home-builder of a firearm, or an inventor of a new design, if you build from scratch a Title 1 firearm that's not a shotgun (more on that later) or fires fixed shotshell ammunition, the ATF has repeatedly stated that no tax is due. The zip-gun regulations state that it's only a zip gun if a tax is due and wasn't paid. If you're exempt from a tax, then it can't be a zip gun.

Since ANY title 2 firearm requires a tax, they would all be zip guns unless you went through the proper procedures like filing a Form 1 with the ATF (or is it Form 4? I can never remember).

Now, regarding shotguns, the ATF automatically deems all firearms capable of firing fixed shotshell ammunition as DD's if they have a bore greater than .50cal (and they're pretty much all greater than .50 besides .410/36ga). There is still a way around this though. Before you actually CONSTRUCT a shotgun in CA, submit the design to the ATF's tech branch requesting a letter ruling on whether or not your design would qualify as a DD or not. If you get an approval, then it's a Title 1 shotgun (or shotshell-firing Title 1 firearm) and you are exempt from paying tax.

That being said ( and me having not looked at the book) would these not be a Destructive Device? 

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 05:35:24 PM »
Yeah, zip guns are a no go in CA too.  Although, from calguns forum
That being said ( and me having not looked at the book) would these not be a Destructive Device?

No.  Common shotgun shells and their corresponding firearms are explicitely excluded from the definition of destructive device.  You can find the law and corresponding ATF determinations by googling 26 U.S. Code 5845.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 10:42:09 AM »
Wow! What great stuff you guys are posting here!

I am getting seriously educated.

Title 18 US Code 921 defines a firearm as (essentially) a receiver for any weapon that can be used to fire a projectile by means of an explosive .

So the stock half of a slamfire shotgun is a firearm all by itself.

I thought the definition required a barrel attached to a receiver, but I hadn't checked on that in 40 years. Either I remembered wrong or they tightened things up a bit.

Oh, well.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 10:55:23 AM »
Wow! What great stuff you guys are posting here!

I am getting seriously educated.

Title 18 US Code 921 defines a firearm as (essentially) a receiver for any weapon that can be used to fire a projectile by means of an explosive .

So the stock half of a slamfire shotgun is a firearm all by itself.

I thought the definition required a barrel attached to a receiver, but I hadn't checked on that in 40 years. Either I remembered wrong or they tightened things up a bit.

Oh, well.

Practical example:  you can buy replacement rifle barrels easily from numerous internet sellers.
That's one reason for the popularity of AR-15s.  The "legal"  part is under $100, and not likely to wear over time.  Once you have a lower receiver with the S/N, everything else can legally be bought without federal paperwork.

There are probably some exceptions where a MFG put the S/N on the barrel itself, but in the more common case, a receiver is what holds the trigger/firing mechanism, and the barrel/magazines attach to the receiver.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 12:13:54 PM »
Likewise if you have any questions about the book or slamfires in general, I'll be happy to answer them as best I can.

I've noticed that some of the builders on youtube recommend only using low brass shells.  Why is that?  Is it to make it easier to extract the spent shell?  Or is this just a myth?

Regarding the "sophisticated" safety (that cracks me up!) could you add a notch on the receiver and a nubb (think screw) on the barrel so that the barrel couldn't go back far enough to fire unless the two are aligned?  It would just be another layer of safety.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 12:51:09 PM »
I've noticed that some of the builders on youtube recommend only using low brass shells.  Why is that?  Is it to make it easier to extract the spent shell?  Or is this just a myth?

Regarding the "sophisticated" safety (that cracks me up!) could you add a notch on the receiver and a nubb (think screw) on the barrel so that the barrel couldn't go back far enough to fire unless the two are aligned?  It would just be another layer of safety.

Hypothetically - should a shell be stuck, or at least difficult to remove after firing, would it be safe to simply flip around the barrel and shoot through the spent shell?  I'm sure this would affect the pattern, I'm just wondering if it'd function...

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 12:53:30 PM »
There is no way I would recommend shooting anything through a barrel that had an obstruction of any kind.  I'd use a large dowel to hammer it out. 

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 12:58:21 PM »
Hypothetically - should a shell be stuck, or at least difficult to remove after firing, would it be safe to simply flip around the barrel and shoot through the spent shell?  I'm sure this would affect the pattern, I'm just wondering if it'd function...

In fact this is suggested in the book as being a quicker fire rate technique.  Fire, stick shell in end of barrel, reverse, fire.   There is also a link to a video showing how resistant to obstructions this design is.  Basically they pack the barrel with dirt and end up with just a bulged barrel.

Offline date_a_prepper

• Prepper
    • Date A Prepper
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 01:44:45 PM »
Is this book available in ebook format (AKA-PDF format)?

If so, where?

If not would you be willing to put it in PDF format (I could help with this and graphics), and sell it?

If a platform to sell the ebook is a problem, I'd be more than happy to provide a platform (except payments and provide for affiliates), if you were interested.  :)