Finance and Economics > The Money Board

Givinng to Charity

<< < (3/3)

Carl:

--- Quote from: surfivor on November 01, 2016, 07:35:10 AM ---I've never heard anything bad about the salvation army

--- End quote ---

Salvation Army is better than most as 84% of your donation get to their program charity service. See how the rate at #6

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Guide-to-Giving/America-s-Top-50-charities-How-well-do-they-rate

surfivor:

--- Quote from: Carl on November 01, 2016, 07:52:51 AM ---Salvation Army is better than most as 84% of your donation get to their program charity service. See how the rate at #6

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Guide-to-Giving/America-s-Top-50-charities-How-well-do-they-rate

--- End quote ---

That's what I give to, salvation army .. they also have quite a visible presence in the area

Richard (richard):
I give primarily to Salvation Army, I know of people that have been helped by them.
We use to give to the local churchs' annual rummage sale until one year when we donated boxes of Lego's, hundreds of dollars worth. I was the first one in the morning of the sale and there were no Lego's, all gone. But how could that be? I was the first one in. I then learned that the church volunteers had first pick, for free. The night before a church "volunteer" loaded up the Lego's and probably sold them on Craigslist.

Carl:
Maybe a LEGO hoarder or plastic survivalist?

CandyGram4Mongo:
An alternative to making donations is to do micro-loans on kiva.org.  You’re NOT donating - you’re underwriting a micro-loan to an ambitious person who wouldn’t otherwise have access to capital.

You make a loan, they pay it back, and you can then re-lend that money to another ambitious person.

I have “recycled” my initial stake 5 times.  So each dollar has done $5 good to helping people become self-sufficient.  I don’t earn interest.  I’ve made 192 loans and have only had two defaults. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version