Author Topic: Do you have a get home fast/safe bag?  (Read 3252 times)

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
Do you have a get home fast/safe bag?
« on: June 01, 2009, 03:17:27 PM »
This has been on my mind.  For the most part, there is a good chance I will be "in town" when the SHTF.  "Town" is 25 miles/35 minutes from home.  Were I unable to get home by truck, what would I need in my bag (and my childrens') to get home safe, sound, and as quickly as possible?  Here are some of my thoughts.  Please feel free to pick it apart or add you own.

• Water shoes - I have not decided whether these would be knee waders or open shoes like sandals that would dry fast.  I have two major creeks to cross assuming I can't use the bridges..
  • Nutrition bars.
  • Set of light camo (to put over warm clothes if it's cold and keep from overheating if it is hot).
  • personal defense item (that's covered on a daily basis).
  • Dry clothes or clothes appropriate for a walk in the woods - I'm an Admin. Assistant.  While my shoes are usually walking friendly, my clothes aren't always..
  • water - I try to keep a CamalBak bottle in the truck at all times.
  • Hat, sunscreen, bug spray, etc..
  • First Aid kit.

What am I missing? 

Copyright 1972

Re: Do you have a get home fast/safe bag?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:25:08 PM »
I know I'm not a lady (although my wife would argue the fact!) and I can't believe I'm gonna say this and Jack will back me up, skip the camo.  Go with another color.  If you HAVE to get home, you will not want to draw ANY attention to yourself, and trust me when I say nothing stands out like a lady wearing Camo ( I mean that in the best possible way!).

The water sox are a great Idea ( will be on my list now thanx! ) +1

NO WAIT!  PUT THE PERSONAL DEFENSE ITEM AWAY!  AAARRRGGG!!!!!!   ;D

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 03:28:41 PM »
I would have some packs of gatorade dry mix for dehydration. Even if it is cold you can be dehydrated. Some index cards with a reliable pen would be helpful. A good survival knife (for more than one reason). That might be helpful. A map of your area from where you are to where you want to be, a good compass, and a red pen for drawing on it. Duct tape.

Goatdog62

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 05:13:34 PM »
You know your creeks better than I do Emma, but if there is any chance that they are too dangerous for the kids to wade across, you might consider alternate or supplemental means. Especially if a rain swollen creek is a possibility. Even a deflated inner tube or other PFD could be helpful, rope too.

In my potential 505 mile bugout just to reach my family and bugout again dilemma, I have multiple water crossings to consider. I have some experience with this...can you tell me what the creeks are like wherever you are? In Tennessee a creek might be 40 - 50 feet wide, more when its raining.

If the creeks are just trickles, then no big deal.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 05:29:32 PM »
I'd also say skip the camo. I keep a pair of water shoes in my bag for creeks around here and summer time showers. I also keep several gallon zip bags to keep things dry (socks/regular shoes/maps ect)

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 07:56:47 AM »
First, I am in Alabama.  Camo on a girl would not stick out at all, any time of year.  Full camo might but only might.  Quick story -- my daughters went to an expensive private school here in "town" with a co-worker's son.  When I moved them to the little private school near home, co-worker joked that his brother-in-law went there one year and hated it because "even the girls where camo."   He must have led a protected life up to that point because even in the expensive private school in town, I saw girls in camo and they hunted.

Anyway, I will consider alternatives for tops so as to avoid the full camo look. That would look a bit odd between turkey season and dove season.

The creeks -- except immediately after a rain, two are fairly wide 15 to 25 ft but shallow -- steep sides but shallow.  Getting up and down the sides may be the bigger issue, for me anyway.  My girls climb everything in sight.  Thankfully, both creeks drain fairly fast.  The daily rain for the last three to four weeks would have made crossing them a little difficult.  Some rope would help that.  The other little creeks are jumpable or just trickles to wade through.  Enough to make you miserable without extra shoes.

Many of the other items are in my daily carry bag.  I keep a Leatherman with me 24/7.  Duct tape is in the truck, it needs to go in the bag though.  I'd forget it otherwise.  I have access to very good topo maps of my area so I need to get those together.  That could save a lot of up and down.  The zipper bags are a good idea.  I have a wet bag but it's not big enough for the whole kit-n-kaboodle.  Extra back pack would help spread the load too.

Goatdog62

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 03:25:53 PM »
First, I am in Alabama.  Camo on a girl would not stick out at all, any time of year.  Full camo might but only might.  Quick story -- my daughters went to an expensive private school here in "town" with a co-worker's son.  When I moved them to the little private school near home, co-worker joked that his brother-in-law went there one year and hated it because "even the girls where camo."   He must have led a protected life up to that point because even in the expensive private school in town, I saw girls in camo and they hunted.

Anyway, I will consider alternatives for tops so as to avoid the full camo look. That would look a bit odd between turkey season and dove season.

The creeks -- except immediately after a rain, two are fairly wide 15 to 25 ft but shallow -- steep sides but shallow.  Getting up and down the sides may be the bigger issue, for me anyway.  My girls climb everything in sight.  Thankfully, both creeks drain fairly fast.  The daily rain for the last three to four weeks would have made crossing them a little difficult.  Some rope would help that.  The other little creeks are jumpable or just trickles to wade through.  Enough to make you miserable without extra shoes.

Many of the other items are in my daily carry bag.  I keep a Leatherman with me 24/7.  Duct tape is in the truck, it needs to go in the bag though.  I'd forget it otherwise.  I have access to very good topo maps of my area so I need to get those together.  That could save a lot of up and down.  The zipper bags are a good idea.  I have a wet bag but it's not big enough for the whole kit-n-kaboodle.  Extra back pack would help spread the load too.

Like I told you before Emma...you rock! +1

Winchester32

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 12:07:25 AM »
I'm not sure about the water shoes for much of a walk, unless you are going to change after.  They offer no support, and usually just fit in a general way, and not in the way that is best for your feet and long distance walking.  My girls all love them to run around in during the summer, but wearing them for a day straight makes their feet a bit sore in spots. 

Just a thought. 

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »
The water shoes are to get across the water/wet areas then put dry comfy shoes back on.  I hate wet socks.