Author Topic: Dealing with Neighbors  (Read 11572 times)

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
Re: Dealing with Neighbors
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2016, 01:11:43 PM »
You would also need to know if there are any easements connected with the property, especially when we're talking about water flow.

Offline darkwingdave

• Fledgling Prepper

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2016, 08:25:59 AM »
Or you could live next to this person..   :-\
http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/local/communities/mason/2016/12/16/belfair-womans-80-dogs-prompt-neighborhood-clash/95458234/

"The former owners of the Waters’ home, who lived there for a decade, eventually did warn Waters about the neighboring dogs, but not until after the sale had gone through.  'We had no idea,' Waters said.  Waters claimed that the previous owners told her they threatened Carnahan with a lawsuit if she didn’t hide her dogs when the Waters came to inspect the home before purchasing it.  Carnahan backed up the claim."

That's pretty messed up.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2016, 09:35:41 AM »
Good on getting a trail camera up. He has no right to enter your property to "put you in compliance" with an ordnance/law.

On the dog barking issue, since he is keeping a log you should too. Since your husband works from home, log it. Mention to the neighbor that if he hears your dog barking to ask him to call or visit immediately so you can rectify the situation. Log all calls of course. If he fails to notify you and then claims your dog was barking for an hour next Tuesday and your husband was home working, you can call him out on that. Who sits in their house while the dog is barking for an hour? right? Perhaps you can log when you hear other dogs/coyotes barking/howling as well. You shouldn't HAVE to do this but he is making it necessary IMO.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2016, 09:57:19 AM »
Good on getting a trail camera up. He has no right to enter your property to "put you in compliance" with an ordnance/law.

On the dog barking issue, since he is keeping a log you should too. Since your husband works from home, log it. Mention to the neighbor that if he hears your dog barking to ask him to call or visit immediately so you can rectify the situation. Log all calls of course. If he fails to notify you and then claims your dog was barking for an hour next Tuesday and your husband was home working, you can call him out on that. Who sits in their house while the dog is barking for an hour? right? Perhaps you can log when you hear other dogs/coyotes barking/howling as well. You shouldn't HAVE to do this but he is making it necessary IMO.

Great idea.

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2016, 11:40:17 AM »
put your dogs in an of site kennel for a week (keep your receipts), then walk around our property 'barking' at random times during the day/night. when he calls the cops, tell them the dogs are offsite and you dont know where the barking is coming  from.
I really like this in conjunction with your trail cams and logbook.  Any entries in your neighbor's log from that period will make their whole argument suspect, especially if you are maintaining your own log that includes barking instances that week.
Little did you know that you'd move to the desert and find a weasel amongst the coyotes & Jack-rabbits...
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is to try to meet on neutral ground.  Chances are that he'll be defensive if you meet on his property or yours.  If you do go over, I'd recommend bringing a gift, whether it's a 6-pack or home-made cookies.
We had ornery neighbors whom I bumped into at the grocery store.  I asked what his favorite beer was and showed up with some when it was time to bury the hatchet.  We did not become friends, but it definitely de-escalated the situation.
The following summer his wife started to bring over some stuff from their garden and we made sure she left with fresh eggs, so we got to be "neighborly" even though we never quite got friendly...

d3nni5

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 04:40:45 AM »

Keep us posted if anything more comes of the situation.   Some pretty good advice here, mix and match what you feel best fits your needs.   Good luck!

Offline Greyghost

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2016, 06:46:01 PM »
Hi Everyone...if anyone is still following this thread...I have WONDERFUL news!

I sucked it up, and called our neighbor. It was the best thing I could have done. I wish I would not have been so hesitant to make contact with him. He had some misconceptions about us and of course we had misconceptions about him. And what happens when you ASS-U-ME? You guessed it. Although I'm still questioning why he did not reach out earlier to us, I'm glad we finally spoke in person. He expressed his concerns and I expressed our concerns, we found middle ground and found out that neither one of us were ogres. So in the end, I really learned a great lesson. I shouldn't be so standoffish and ready to blame other people. I really needed a little bit of humble pie and to accept that I have personal responsibility in living in a community. I know it sounds simple, but its easy to get blinders on when you think that you're just trying to live your life and do your own thing. We came to an understanding about each other and I really hope that we can cultivate our relationship as neighbors as time passes. I'm very happy with the outcome, I think my neighbor is too.
I appreciate you guys listening and commenting and allowing me to vent, and giving me advice and allowing me to grow. This is what its all about. Thanks again guys!

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2016, 07:11:15 PM »
Yay!  I'm so glad it worked out.  You may have even found someone that is willing to team up in a local crisis.  Eventually.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2016, 07:28:35 PM »
So glad it worked out.  I'm really happy that the community here was able to give some good advise.

BTW, don't doubt that anyone is still following your thread.  Most of us here have an interest in the well being of the other members of the forum.  We may not ever meet, but a lot of us on here consider each other friends.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2016, 07:36:26 PM »
So glad it worked out.  I'm really happy that the community here was able to give some good advise.

BTW, don't doubt that anyone is still following your thread.  Most of us here have an interest in the well being of the other members of the forum.  We may not ever meet, but a lot of us on here consider each other friends.

True.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2016, 08:07:07 PM »
I'm very happy with the outcome, I think my neighbor is too.

Glad to hear.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2016, 08:27:50 PM »
We here ,tend to stand together.

d3nni5

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2016, 06:37:00 AM »

Keep the goodness going.   Maybe early next year take him a plate of cookies or something and follow up.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2016, 10:29:42 AM »
Hi Everyone...if anyone is still following this thread...I have WONDERFUL news!

We like to follow threads like this in case we are ever in a similar situation.  Thanks for teaching us, and with your first post too!  Stick around, we all learn together here.