Author Topic: Ticom's Tech Blog discussion  (Read 629 times)

Offline cidyl

• Prepper
  • Newbie TSP Forum member
Ticom's Tech Blog discussion
« on: March 16, 2019, 10:34:57 AM »
Don't really recall where I first read any of Ticom's stuff, could have been phreak files downloaded from survival BBS's in the early 90's or maybe on usenet.   He reintroduced himself as Sparks31 more recently but it wasn't clear to many at the time they were one and the same person.  Needless to say he's been around for awhile and knows his stuff. 

Just to start the discussion, two articles on related topics of RF intercept and RDF.  I had some experience with gov/mil capabilities in these areas in the final years of the cold war, and will only say it was impressive to the point of scary what we (and the Soviets) could do even then.  Can only imagine what they're doing now since I no longer have a need-to-know, but can vouch for some of what he states as being true.

https://outlandtek.blogspot.com/2018/12/praxis-opfor-rdf-capability.html

https://outlandtek.blogspot.com/2019/03/receiver-iflo-hunting.html

There's plenty of standard ham fare too of course.  He's promised to take his blog in a more technical direction that may have less appeal for some, will be watching to see what he has to teach.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Ticom's Tech Blog discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 06:02:44 AM »
Up yesterday: When people ask, it's only a hobby.

The advice is to treat any survival activities, specifically here radio, as a hobby because:
1) it's more fun that way, so
2) you'll actually learn more in the process, and
3) it's a good cover story, so park rangers and relatives don't look at you funny.

It's a good point that applies to a lot of stuff.  "Oh, I enjoy gardening as a hobby because I like playing in the dirt and watching things grow."  "Oh, I enjoy target shooting because it gets me outdoors and takes my mind off work.  Kind of like golf, when you get down to it."  "Oh, I enjoy playing radio because I like to see how far it can go and I like talking to random interesting tech people."  And really, all that's true, and a lot more useful than saying something boneheaded like "I'm worried about starving in a collapse scenario," etc.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 08:51:38 AM »
I have a friend who can be rather pedantic at times.  He's very self-sufficiency minded, grows a lot their own food, lots of firearms training, backup power and now wading into comms.
He is indignant that none of the above are "hobbies".  All of his preparations, and survival skills are very serious, and prudent things. 

I take my hobbies seriously. In the past week I've overhauled 3 bicycles for friends and neighbors. People could not believe that I opened up the hubs, repacked with fresh grease and balls bearings, and torqued everything just-so.  I'm not any kind of professional, but I enjoy taking the time to something the right way, especially if it's to help out another person.

Sorry for the tangent, but I don't know why "hobby" has become a trigger word for many.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 05:32:43 PM »
Sorry for the tangent, but I don't know why "hobby" has become a trigger word for many.
I know what you mean, Smurf, and I think friends like the one you mentioned are not uncommon.

Still, saying "hobby" is a nice verbal trick for hiding in plain sight.  Call it a perk for getting over oneself.   :)