Author Topic: Thug Avoidance  (Read 22376 times)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Thug Avoidance
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2010, 05:08:12 PM »
bump... another great thread all of us should read...

Offline Lara

• TSP Med Control
  • Prepper
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »
Very nice thread, Goatdog, and everyone else.

I'm a big fan of avoidance.  Even when I was a college kid, I understood that.  I'd wear the cute little dress... but with Doc Martens so I could run away quickly, since I went to school in New Orleans.  I think that even if kids might act like they're not listening, they are, so keep telling them how to defend themselves. 

Evasion also works... the one time I was followed by several guys in the French Quarter, I ducked in the nearest bar, and the bartender (after seeing the look on my face), went outside with a baseball bat.  Things were OK.   ;)  Nowadays, I just carry concealed, but when I was young, the lessons my dad taught me were still in my brain even though I never would have admitted it.

I really appreciate you telling us how you think things through, and how you teach.  I've learned a lot of self-defense from aikido classes, etc, but frankly, it's a whole lot easier and more effective to just spray (or shoot) someone.  I was always more concerned about my subluxing shoulders during aikido class, since that was the current threat.  A small glimpse into how you assess things and avoid problems is very helpful.  Thanks.

I had a patient one day who had been sprayed with OC, and he had been taken to the decontamination showers once already.  When he regained his wits (after whatever else he had on board wore off), he asked to be taken back to the showers since the OC had just been rinsed from his face down to his other sensitive areas by the shower... even the white phone that he had been holding was covered in orange from the spray.  That stuff was everywhere.  Next time, when the PD tells you to lie down, I'd recommend lying down...

Having been an ER nurse where OC was sprayed inside the ER...yeah... we still love him since the PD often defends us when we need it, but he did cause us to lock down several treatment rooms that we could have been using that night.  Took a while to decontaminate. 

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2010, 01:26:14 PM »
Goatdog,

Several posts ago you recommended "you want  a minimum of 5% and no more than 10%." concentration. There are some sprays out there that advertise 15% and up. In this instance, isn't more better? Or is 10% the concentration that produces the maximum effect - the body won't feel any more pain from 15% than it does from 10%. I've carried CN and CS, but have no experience with OC. I'm thinking of getting some OC for personal and home defense. I live in a small town that has a low crime rate, and don't feel a firearm is necessary under current conditions.

I was Air Force Security Police back in the day when nonlethal sprays were just coming out. We issued a spray that was a diluted form of Agent DM, a serious vomiting agent. It did a most excellent job, as I recall, but the process of cuffing, transporting, booking, etc., left much to be desired. We had a lot of guys named Raalph Baarker........

Thanks for your assistance.

sb

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2010, 01:48:48 PM »
Just to keep the thread active...
Goaty is on a pretty heavy work load right now so it may be a while before he sees this and can answer it.

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2010, 08:20:27 PM »
Great thread and Goatdog you've shared much to ponder...

Thank you!