Author Topic: Recipe Reports - Beans - Food Storage Feast  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Noah Darco

• Prepper
  • Stay-at-Homestead Dad
    • Food Storage Feast
Recipe Reports - Beans - Food Storage Feast
« on: January 18, 2017, 12:24:54 PM »
Made Caribbean Black Beans & Rice last night with enthusiastic help from one of the boys while my wife was out.

We made some substitutions based on what we actually had on hand in the pantry - a different type of chili peppers, non-smoked tomatoes, dried oregano instead of fresh cilantro (used that up the other night in Green Rice - need to try cilantro in the windowsill or even under a grow light during the winter).

The pot of beans looked big enough to feed an army, but went fast. The kids ate heartily, and even my wife - whose cooking prowess and accomplishments dwarf mine - was very vocal in her appreciation, in between bites.

The Caribbean Black Beans & Rice recipe was a big success here. The rice alone, with its "secret ingredient," was exquisite. If I can make this and get rave reviews from a gourmand like my wife, anybody can!

Sorry, no pictures this time. I was too busy eating to plate it up all fancy for the camera.

Offline CPT Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Don't Be Tolerant Today Dead Tomorrow
Re: Recipe Reports - Beans - Food Storage Feast
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 05:25:15 PM »
Based on Carl's recommendation on a different thread, I was going to come home and make fried bean patties for dinner tonight.  But, when I opened the door I smelled an aroma that could only mean that my wife put a beef roast on the slow cooker before she left for work this morning...  And it was my turn to cook!

Offline Straylight

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 06:22:30 PM »
I just watched the Caribbean Black Beans & Rice video and had some questions...

Is the basmati rice at 0:41 dry out of the bag or did you rinse it first to get rid of some of the "starchiness"?
At 3:09 it looks like the black beans are in some kind of sauce/juice. Is that just the liquid they came canned in? If not, what is it?

Hoping to give this a try soon, but I need to pick up some of the ingredients first.

Offline Noah Darco

• Prepper
  • Stay-at-Homestead Dad
    • Food Storage Feast
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 06:40:56 PM »
I rinsed my rice 4-5 times as per the directions in "Rice Cooking Tips".

This recipe is designed to use seasoned black beans, so all the juice/sauce from the cans should be included in your concoction. The ones I used simply had salt added, and were pre-cooked as I'm pretty sure all canned beans are.

Let us know if you have more questions - and let us know how it goes.

Offline 4Gators

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:06:52 AM »
Noah/Chef Keith,

I have a question regarding the beans....  I am to the Lentil & Veg soup recipe (haven't actually cooked any of the bean recipes yet) but notice so far most of the beans you use are going straight into the pot without soaking? but the earlier part of the bean course says to soak dried beans to leach out all the toxins.  Are there only certain types of beans that should be soaked first? 

Thank you!

Offline chefkeithsnow

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Food Storage Feast
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 03:48:05 AM »
All dried beans need to be soaked first...but not lentils.....it's possible to cook them without soaking..but pick them over and rinse them ...lots of small rocks are found in lentils...

There are many types of lentils...although most supermarkets usually just have green lentils..

If you wnat to try the best lentil IMO look for le puy green lentils... often called French green lentils...those rock...

Keith

Offline 4Gators

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »
Thanks so much Chef!   :D

Offline chefkeithsnow

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Food Storage Feast