Author Topic: Underrated Calibers. Handgun, rifle, shotgun, whatever.  (Read 9873 times)

Offline FreeThinker

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Underrated Calibers. Handgun, rifle, shotgun, whatever.
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 02:50:08 PM »
35 remington

Never shot a .35, own a .30.  Wouldn't call the .30 underrated however, and cartridges for it are near impossible to find anymore.  I do see .35 Rem at gun shows on occasion.

My preferred small-game shotgun is an ancient Ithaca 37 with an "adjustable choke" (the thing turns but I'm never sure if it's actually accomplishing anything).

When necessary (and even when not), that thing can shuck out shells with an unrivaled quickness.

Have one in 16ga manufactured in 1940 and still in fine shape and works flawlessly.  Slamfire-able too, little use in hunting or clays of course, but fun sometimes at the range.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
Re: Underrated Calibers. Handgun, rifle, shotgun, whatever.
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2017, 08:03:54 PM »
My preferred small-game shotgun is an ancient Ithaca 37 with an "adjustable choke" (the thing turns but I'm never sure if it's actually accomplishing anything).

When necessary (and even when not), that thing can shuck out shells with an unrivaled quickness.

That's actually what I most often carry anymore, though mine has a fixed(modified) choke. I've also got a Stevens 311 in 16 and a rem 870 wingmaster in 16. I shoot the 870 better, but the chamber is rough and sometimes shells tend to stick.