Author Topic: Plano Power Box for Ham power , 12 AH SLAB Battery  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Plano Power Box for Ham power , 12 AH SLAB Battery
« on: February 19, 2017, 10:09:37 AM »
  A power box has been done many times in the past though this is my current version that will power my Yaesu FT857D for 3 to 4 hours
of SSB at as much as 50 watts though it can run 100 watts for a bit over an hour of conversation on HF. The 12 Amp Hour Lead acid cell fits nicely in the Plano ammo box with adapters and fuses ,PLUS a 10 watt LED light that is well more light many would have need of.The total weight of under 10 pounds is manageable.

Battery :
 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A82A2ZS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plano Box:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YSFT7S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Plano Power Box for Ham power , 12 AH SLAB Battery
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 08:24:21 AM »
  I ran the FT857 and LDG antenna tuner today and checked in to 3 local nets on 40 meters with 25 watts output and a vice grip antenna mount on my chain link fence,then visited for an hour or so with Jeff on 2 meters and the battery performed well for over four hours and I quit as that was a good test run.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:49:39 PM »
The cynic would say you'll have something to pass the time with during a prolonged emergency.  :)

Overall that's a tidy package.  There are many commercial battery packs that appear slick, but simply don't cut the mustard when you need to power "real" appliances like radios.

What's your preferred method for recharging it?  Do you disassemble and attach alligator clips to the battery terminals?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 03:32:08 PM »
The cynic would say you'll have something to pass the time with during a prolonged emergency.  :)

Overall that's a tidy package.  There are many commercial battery packs that appear slick, but simply don't cut the mustard when you need to power "real" appliances like radios.

What's your preferred method for recharging it?  Do you disassemble and attach alligator clips to the battery terminals?

I have a charger with a cigarette cord adapter , a solar panel and a male to male cig cord for in the car or at home charging.
Stuff I bought when I could still walk.