Author Topic: Powdered eggs?  (Read 19878 times)

Notsonutso

Powdered eggs?
« on: June 04, 2009, 12:46:15 PM »

I have looked and looked for powdered eggs.   Walmart laughed at me.  The local chains said there was not enough demand to stock it.  It's been left out of my stockpile for far too long.  Starting to feel the need to get all the loose ends together.  Is it possible to make my own?

Offline Klapton

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
Re: Powdered eggs?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 12:49:55 PM »

Notsonutso

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 12:57:44 PM »

I never even googled it because I didn't think you could make your own.  Thank you!

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 05:47:13 PM »
I can usually find these in the organic section of the grocer.  Also, seems like they sell them more durning the holidays . . .must be able to bake something with them. 

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 07:13:40 PM »

Sandman

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 07:18:11 PM »

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 07:36:56 PM »

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 07:43:22 PM »
This store looks promising. Any experience with them?

nope- just found it and saved it a while back.

Goatdog62

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 07:44:52 PM »
Yeah, thanks Klapton!

I miss powdered eggs. The Army, especially in my early career days, fed us powdered eggs when in the field almost daily. Guys would bitch but I liked them.

I'm gonna get some and store em, I may not get a chance to raise chickens before SHTF.

Winchester32

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 09:45:46 PM »
Sounds very easy.  I am going to try this.  I have always ordered from Honeyville before.  They have good stuff and the prices are very fair. 

Thanks!!

stockpile

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 10:41:48 PM »
I'm gonna have to give Honeyville a try.

I have always ordered from these guys  http://beprepared.com/
No complaints, fast service... good stuff.
Hey nothing wrong with another source to watch for those sales.

Winchester32

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 10:49:20 PM »
I'm gonna have to give Honeyville a try.

I have always ordered from these guys  http://beprepared.com/
No complaints, fast service... good stuff.
Hey nothing wrong with another source to watch for those sales.

About once a month they have a 10% off sale.  You get reminders if you sign up for them.  They also usually ship your entire order anywhere in the US for $4.95. 

They have great freeze dried fruits too.  My kids love the banana chips.   ;)

Sandman

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 11:50:39 PM »
Sounds very easy.  I am going to try this.  I have always ordered from Honeyville before.  They have good stuff and the prices are very fair. 

Thanks!!

I'm going to have to try them out then. They are way cheaper than some of the other places I've researched.

idahobob

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 09:21:36 AM »
We have been using Honeyville for a couple of years now. Great prices, good product and the $4.99 shipping cannot be beat.

Bob
III

Notsonutso

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 08:53:14 AM »

Got my powdered eggs yesterday. Came from Honeyville; we ordered through Amazon.  Seemed to be a good price. 

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »
How about an update, anyone tried making them yet?

sarahluker

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 08:35:09 PM »
If you have Kroger in your area they carry canned powdered eggs.

Goatdog62

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 07:18:47 PM »

Cool! I will look next time I'm home in TN.

Sandman

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 11:18:43 PM »
Kroger in my area carries pasteurized died/powdered egg whites, not powdered whole eggs. They are in the baking goods section, close to the powdered milk.

In my area, they cost approximately $10 a can. The cans are called "Just Whites" from Deb El. http://www.debelfoods.com/recipes_justWhites.htm   Each 8 oz. can contains an equivalent amount of 57 dried egg whites, about the amount of 4.75 dozen eggs. No refrigeration required. Each 1 egg equiv. serving = 2 tsp and provides 3g of protein.

Without the egg yolk, we avoid all the egg's 200mg+ of cholesterol, and all the fat, but we also miss out on slightly less than half of the egg's total protein, and most of it's nutrients, including it's vitamins A, D, & E, as well as it's choline, at the same time.

Unfortunately, there is no expiration or 'best by' date on the can.

Offline Gray Ghost

• Senior Survivalist
  • Yuppy on the outside. Survivalist on the inside.
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 02:53:48 PM »
Did anyone ever try the "Just Whites"? I just bought a can. Also has anyone found a place that sells the large quantities of the powdered eggs? I saw that the manufacturer sells it in 50lbs boxes too.

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 04:23:46 PM »
"Just Whites"

i've used the honeyville powedered egg whites back in my weight lifting days mixed in shakes with skim milk, and whey protein.  they didn't clump up on me,

but i have never tried to reconstitute them and scramble them.

Offline Fat_Man

• Prepper
  • Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 05:25:37 PM »

Here's a video from dehydrate2store.com using Honeyville egg whites

http://dehydrate2store.com/videos/?id=10

I have used Honeyville a couple of times now. Their products are good and the prices are OK. I have bought green onions and cheese from them. The green onions are great! My uses the cheese, I believe she likes it a lot. I plan to expand my inventory with several of their products including dehydrated whole eggs and their egg whites as well.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 07:06:46 PM »
Because we have chickens sometimes we get overwhelmed with eggs for two people so here's what I found to do and it will get you decent powdered eggs.

Whisk or blend eggs to scramble. Fry them in a non-stick pan until just cooked  (we use cast iron) but don't use oil as it will make the eggs go rancid in storage. Pour onto fruit leather tray of dehydrator. Dry at 145 degrees until brittle. When completely dry grind them in a blender or food processor store in glass jars.  To use reconstitute 1:1 ratio - 1 tbsp powdered egg & 1 tbsp cold water & use like a fresh egg.

Note you can just dehydrate them without cooking but it COULD leave you open to salmonella because you are below the 160 degree cooking that kills salmonella.

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Freedom is precious......do something to keep it!
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 07:11:34 PM »
Good thread! Thank you so much!

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 07:18:22 PM »
I have bought from Honeyville for several years, there $4.99 shipping is the best around. The egg products are great. They also have one of the best freeze-dried fruit selections you will find (they have raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, peaches,pineapple, and a few more that i forget ::)). Buy direct from them online and you will save a few bucks also. they have periodical sales where they give 10% off your entire order. Just what an old prepper wants! ;D

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »
If you would rather shop locally, check with a bakery or bakery supply shop in your area. I got mine from a bakery in Mesquite, TX but I had to let them know ahead of time (and pay for them) but it was no hassle. I tried drying my own eggs but really makes a mess. There is not a big savings either so commercial seemed a better idea.

Offline Gray Ghost

• Senior Survivalist
  • Yuppy on the outside. Survivalist on the inside.
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 10:03:32 AM »
i've used the honeyville powedered egg whites back in my weight lifting days mixed in shakes with skim milk, and whey protein. 

I have been using Isopure whey for my workouts for a few years now. When I started prepping an extra 7.5lbs bucket in the pantry and now have it in my cycle of food storage. Figured in a SHTF situation protein of any kind is the most difficult to procure; especially in a large urban environment. Question for you evilphish, why did you mix the egg whites with your whey protein? What was  the benefit?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 10:25:09 AM »
Because we have chickens sometimes we get overwhelmed with eggs for two people so here's what I found to do and it will get you decent powdered eggs.

Whisk or blend eggs to scramble. Fry them in a non-stick pan until just cooked  (we use cast iron) but don't use oil as it will make the eggs go rancid in storage. Pour onto fruit leather tray of dehydrator. Dry at 145 degrees until brittle. When completely dry grind them in a blender or food processor store in glass jars.  To use reconstitute 1:1 ratio - 1 tbsp powdered egg & 1 tbsp cold water & use like a fresh egg.

Note you can just dehydrate them without cooking but it COULD leave you open to salmonella because you are below the 160 degree cooking that kills salmonella.

That is really great information! Thanks TBM. We don't have chickens yet, but plan to. I can easily see a situation where we get more eggs than we can keep and would like to store for use during molting season :)

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 08:54:06 PM »

Do you know what the shelf life is on these home made powdered eggs?