Author Topic: Powdered eggs?  (Read 19541 times)

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Powdered eggs?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 06:24:52 AM »
Question for you evilphish, why did you mix the egg whites with your whey protein? What was  the benefit?

cheaper then cassien protein for my evening shakes.  and safer then unpowdered eggs.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2018, 04:14:59 AM »
Bumping this up since I had planned to start a thread on this.

We occasionally find ourselves with an abundance of eggs in the frig and I was wondering if anyone here has done this. Apparently so and it seems pretty well discussed. I think I'll have to get some fruit roll sheets for our dehydrator and give it a go. Here is another article from the internet to add to the thread.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/dehydrating-eggs-at-home/

Our dehydrator runs at a constant 165*. It's a Presto also but not digital and no timer. Regret that, should have spend the extra $25.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2018, 05:36:17 AM »
 :popcorn:  MMM powdered eggs

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2018, 05:47:15 AM »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2018, 06:19:27 AM »
  I have never 'made' them ,but I do enjoy the storage and using them.Just like regular eggs with about 2 year shelf life.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2018, 06:22:36 AM »
I figure on using them but need a better way to keep them when I got them like this. This looks like the way to do it.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2018, 06:34:50 AM »
I figure on using them but need a better way to keep them when I got them like this. This looks like the way to do it.

I also would be tempted with a ready supply ,but feel I can just buy the powdered eggs and saVE A LOT OF BOTHER AND A LITTLE RISK..Sorry ,I hit wrong key,not yelling. I get them when on sale ($16 for 72 eggs) and keep them for a year ,due to sale price as they are 'good' for 2 or so years otherwise.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096I5DJU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 08:29:06 AM »
Link shows $27.99. That's $2.33 dz. Not too bad compared to normal fresh egg price around here. I catch them on sale for less than $1 dz. or on coupon for free hence 5 dz. in the frig right now, most free with $20 purchase. Our normal weekly grocery purchase isn't much more than $20.

Sale prices and free coupons is also the way I came up with 100 lbs. of sugar over the last year and half. 60 of those pounds free the remainder $0.99/4 lbs.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 05:16:57 PM »
  The Augason dry eggs at $16 or so for 72 is a fair deal and they cook just like 'regular' eggs ,though I prefer the fresh DUCK EGGS from our ducks on the lake as they taste just a bit 'richer' to me...the dried eggs that you add water (or milk) to and cook taste better ,to me,than the already cooked and dried product and it takes so little time to cook a skillet load of them for me and dog.

Offline Citizen Zero

• Senior Survivalist
  • Rural Dweller
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 10:16:06 PM »
The price is very reasonable for the storage life and convenience, not to mention that they cook up great for scrambles and omelets.

Even after opening the can we have found that they are more than viable in excess of three months in the fridge without any issues (we keep the fridge at just above freezing).

From what I have seen stamped on the cans, Augason dried egg products typically have a shelf life of ten years plus when unopened.

And, the "best by" date is exactly that, a guess imposed by the FDA that states that they have to stamp a label on the can. I have opened and eaten cans of chili and the like that are almost 10 years past their "best by" dates and lived to tell about it ;-)

As always, just my $.02. Think I am broke now.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2019, 10:06:38 AM »
Think I am broke now.

Bought too many dried eggs??  :facepalm:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2019, 10:09:31 AM »
Because we have chickens sometimes we get overwhelmed with eggs for two people so here's what I found to do and it will get you decent powdered eggs.

Whisk or blend eggs to scramble. Fry them in a non-stick pan until just cooked  (we use cast iron) but don't use oil as it will make the eggs go rancid in storage. Pour onto fruit leather tray of dehydrator. Dry at 145 degrees until brittle. When completely dry grind them in a blender or food processor store in glass jars.  To use reconstitute 1:1 ratio - 1 tbsp powdered egg & 1 tbsp cold water & use like a fresh egg.

Note you can just dehydrate them without cooking but it COULD leave you open to salmonella because you are below the 160 degree cooking that kills salmonella.

Which brings up a question, is there a salmonella self check any of us could do?

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2019, 11:25:14 AM »

Which brings up a question, is there a salmonella self check any of us could do?

Don't know about that but what I have read here indicates 160 degrees for any process, drying, baking, etc. is safest. Maybe 165 is better.

https://www.backwoodshome.com/dehydrating-eggs-at-home/

My little round dehydrator runs at a constant 165 per the manufacturer. Gonna try some soon.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2019, 02:01:46 PM »
Checked ours, and it also goes to 165  8)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2019, 02:21:39 AM »
 :clap:  8)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2019, 05:41:40 AM »
I've got two dozen in the dehydrator now. I'm wondering the best or most common way of storing them. Vacuum sealed in a glass jar or in a glass jar with O2 absorber or perhaps do both. I can do any of those.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2019, 08:37:08 AM »
The full pint we did last year was just vacuum packed. Didn't have any absorbers then to use, or I would have. I have absorbers now

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2019, 03:09:28 AM »
I got a pint jar and a 4 oz. jar from 2 dz. large store eggs. I learned that the eggs should preferably be room temp when starting so they flow onto the trays evenly. I had thin and thick spots. Took 12 hours until I was happy with the thick spots even after breaking them up some.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2019, 10:06:27 AM »
 8)