Author Topic: Your thoughts on monitored security systems  (Read 18752 times)

Offline Conductor71

• Prepper
Re: Your thoughts on monitored security systems
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 07:59:13 AM »
I think I'm in the minority here but both my family and my 80 year old mother have ADT systems.  She sets hers off all the time because they put the alarm in a part of the house where she can't hear it very well (she's hard of hearing) and even I can barely hear it if it goes off when I'm over.  The cops are there in under 5 minutes usually.  I can't tell you what a relief it is for her as my dad passed away a while back. 

We have one in the house we're renting and it cost a ton to set up (like over $1,700 and I still need another $750 worth to make it really secure)  Fortunately, we've never had an alarm go off but I'm confident, given my mom's response time (although she lives in another town).  Sounds like I'm a little overconfident, given some of the other comments I see here. 

As far as electrical outages and cutting wires, it runs on a three-day battery backup, which is nice and does have the open phone line monitoring (which I find a little creepy because they can just open that line at any time and listen in on your house but you can choose not to have it).  Also, we have panic buttons that work within so many thousand feet of the house that sets off the alarm and continues to increase the decible level every 10 seconds until it' as loud as a firetruck.

I've always been leery of local alarm companies but that's because my crazy sister's first husband was a low-life thug who worked by day installing security systems and by night robbing customers with his installation partner.  It sickens me to think they never got caught.

Of course we have the bang bang type of security too ;)  Thanks for the posts.  Definitely keeps me thinking :)

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 01:22:15 PM »
I used to pay for ADT back when I only lived in the city and traveled a lot. After several apartments in my building got broken into I went and had it put in. I had three separate false alarms and no real ones (my cats and a poorly placed balloon) on each occasion I rushed home (15min drive) to find the cops waiting for me. After the contract ran out I kept the system and ditched the service. Now that I am in the country, I need to have one put in and get in the habit of beating my #2 (JK but I'll probably yell the roof down) as he likes to leave without locking the door. I'm not sure about getting a monitored system but I know I need to install a new security system.

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
Not sure I understand your logic here.  I understand having each access monitored, but what's wrong with a motion sensor instead?  It could still be used when you're home (alarm downstairs motion when we're in bed upstairs).   For me, I have several dogs, so I'm not to fancy on a motion sensor. 

With a motion, by the time the thing goes off, the intruder is in.   If you are in "home" mode, where the motions are bypassed (a good thing to do when home alone), the system is next to useless as the exterior windows are un-bugged and the interior bypassed. 

Best to do all exterior openings, with interior stuff as a backup.  Plus, it is nice even when you are home and have the system in home mode to know if a window or door has been opened, even if you are walking about.  Great for wives or children home alone. 

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
There are also systems that will detect propane leaks and sound an alarm for that.  And there are systems that will call in when the phone line is cut. 

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »
We have the monitored system and it is a local company that calls with in 30 seconds.  Well worth the $20 or so we put out a month.

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2010, 02:05:37 AM »
I think we pay $600 per year for ours.  A few accidental alarms resulted in immediate calls from the monitoring center.  This is security in addition to the whole awareness/dogs/guns thing.

Our friends have ADT.  There alarm went off while they were on vacation.  There cell phones were called within a minute.  I was at their house within 8 minutes of the initial alarm and the ADT armed response officer was already there checking the exterior of the home.  I was impressed enough.

The other thing I like is that any time a door or window is opened, I hear a beep noise even if the alarm is off.  Peace of mind when you have little kids.

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 07:21:57 PM »
we have an unmonitored alarm.

basic setup.

multi zones (box is capable of cellular backup, but like i said, its unmonitored)

Zone 1 (always armed) glass break
Zone 2 (kinda a "night mode") zone 1 + window open/close censors, door open close sensor + garage and shed motion and door + window censor
Zone 3 (all away) all censors including internal motion active

With a 2 year old that has figured out how to work a door knob, a dog, and a cat, we very rarly set zone "3"

The owner of the company I work for also owns a security company so i got this at cost. as a geek I have a habit of opening the panel and studying the circuits.

I've been toying with the idea of having them monitor and adding a panic button in the kitchen, master suite, my office and nursery, as well as co and smoke, as my traveling is increasing.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 06:39:58 PM »
Don't you love the new Brinks commercials?   The bad guy breaks in facing the mother and child, hears the alarm and runs away.  I like the alarm idea, but I like the idea of mom having a 38 special even better.  Welcome to the horizontal dirt nap society you POS. :)

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 06:53:01 PM »
Don't you love the new Brinks commercials?   The bad guy breaks in facing the mother and child, hears the alarm and runs away.  I like the alarm idea, but I like the idea of mom having a 38 special even better.  Welcome to the horizontal dirt nap society you POS. Smiley

no, i'd rather she have the mossy ;)

the alarm system was a perk of employment for me.  its kind of nice that we have ours monitored by a small town security company that knows me personaly.  feel much better than an ADP system.

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »

Heard a news report today that a suspect sets your car alarm off so you come out and he gets the drop on you and robs you and your house belongings,so it can be used to a criminal advantage! BEWARE this trick!

kiteflyer

Tips here

http://www.seguingazette.com/story.lasso?ewcd=54e6bde74434a5de