Author Topic: Why does it seem iodine is not used as an external antiseptic much?  (Read 7153 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Why does it seem iodine is not used as an external antiseptic much?
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2017, 06:55:38 PM »
They swabed my legs with Iodine when they put a stent in my right heart vein. I was stained for 10 days or so.  ;D

They might shave an unnecessary area on a bet too....Nurses have a sense of humor too.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2017, 07:03:25 PM »
No time for a shave, as they saved me.  ;D Just stained.

LVWood

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2017, 10:53:05 PM »
When I got shaved for my pacemaker it seamed like they used a garden rake.
It was more uncomfortable than the entire procedure and recovery combined.
I'm sure they got some sinister pleasure from it  :)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2017, 11:36:59 PM »
When I got shaved for my pacemaker it seamed like they used a garden rake.
It was more uncomfortable than the entire procedure and recovery combined.
I'm sure they got some sinister pleasure from it  :)

Gad. Imported or U.S. made rake?  ???

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 06:44:13 AM »
We've looked twice at wally's and once at the dollar tree for iodine to keep in our med stock.
We have a small bottle that we've had forever. But haven't found it readily available like it used to be.

I ordered a gallon jug of iodine through my local feed store.  It's now in preps. 

I've researched "sugardine" and am keeping that in the back of my mind if I ever need it in a grid down situation.

sugardine

There is also dakins solution:Doom and Bloom, Dakins Solution

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2017, 10:04:47 AM »
Here is a copy of the Federal rule change from 2007 on why we can no longer buy stronger iodine https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2007/fr0702.htm

When I actually found betadine at a pharmacy last year they wanted to take my drivers license number and track me that I bought it. So, I did not buy it and left and bought at a feed store.

This 2007 ruling is why it was imposible to buy Polar Pure water disenfecting product for years. Polar pure is a one man company, so the money needed to operate under the new rules was prohibitive. YOu can get it now, dont know how he finally resolved it. Polar pure is a small bottle with Iodine crystals in it, and it makes a solution with water. You use it and add more water, and it makes more solution. This is the cheapest, shelf stable water purification additive I have ever heard of, good for back packing and prepping. http://www.polarpurewater.com/

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:19:20 AM by mountainmoma »

Offline FreeThinker

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2017, 11:00:07 AM »
Here is a copy of the Federal rule change from 2007 on why we can no longer buy stronger iodine https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2007/fr0702.htm

When I actually found betadine at a pharmacy last year they wanted to take my drivers license number and track me that I bought it. So, I did not buy it and left and bought at a feed store.

This 2007 ruling is why it was imposible to buy Polar Pure water disenfecting product for years. Polar pure is a one man company, so the money needed to operate under the new rules was prohibitive. YOu can get it now, dont know how he finally resolved it. Polar pure is a small bottle with Iodine crystals in it, and it makes a solution with water. You use it and add more water, and it makes more solution. This is the cheapest, shelf stable water purification additive I have ever heard of, good for back packing and prepping. http://www.polarpurewater.com/

Odd about the pharmacy and Betadine, must be a store policy as the link says PVP-I isn't restricted:

Iodine Products Not Regulated Under This Rulemaking

There are other iodine-containing products that have household use and are widely sold in retail settings. Iodine products classified as iodophors consist of iodine complexed with surfactant compounds (e.g., poloxamer-iodine complex) or with nonsurfactant compounds (e.g., polyvinyl pyrrolidone-iodine complex (povidone-iodine)).

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2017, 11:25:20 AM »
Odd about the pharmacy and Betadine, must be a store policy as the link says PVP-I isn't restricted:

I dont know -- we may have additional CA controls since 2% can be used to make meth, maybe it was found to be used in CA ?

Seems like the whole Iodine in meth making came because we outlawed the availability of hydroiodic acid.

As far as the meth heads, it's a one-step process to make elemental iodine crystals from potassium iodide (readily available) + hydrochloric acid and bleach. The elemental iodine is combined with the red phosphorus from the striking surface of matchbooks/matchboxes to make phosphorus tri-iodide. Combined with water, it forms hydroiodic acid which is the actual reducing agent, turning pseudophed to meth.

It is also very controlled in CA to buy the cold medicine that actually works. It is behind the counter. You have to show ID and are entered into a database, to make sure you only buy under a certain amount a month. It is not much, you cant stock up. Anecdotally, a homeschool mom with more than 2.4 kids ran into the limits easily just trying to get thru a round of household sickness
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:45:11 AM by mountainmoma »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2017, 01:02:58 PM »
Just looked at Amazon. They have it.  :facepalm:

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2017, 04:35:54 PM »
Just looked at Amazon. They have it.  :facepalm:

They have it ENGLISH and METRIC on Amazon... :)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2017, 04:40:28 PM »
They have it ENGLISH and METRIC on Amazon... :)

:facepalm:

:rofl:

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2017, 04:44:43 PM »
  I have Amazon in a window on my computer any time (OK all the time) my PC is on and it is how most of my groceries,meds,radio,toys...for me and the dog...are purchased and I enjoy the two day shipping though lately I have to engage a 24 hour cooling off period to try to stay within my budget.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2017, 05:18:58 PM »
I've got the amazon assistant in my tool bar. It brings up the deals, which I seldom need/buy, but it's handy.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2018, 04:56:47 PM »
We're gradually stocking Iodine from Walmart