Author Topic: Food Storage Friday Challenge  (Read 10482 times)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Food Storage Friday Challenge
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2018, 06:15:57 PM »
Well, us mid westerners normally don't give our food fancy names. We just raise it, fix it, and eat it.  ;D
Pulled pork. Raise it without feeding it Roundup, smoke it, pull it, slap it on da bun and eat it. Maybe a little B sauce along the way..... ;D ;D ;D

Friday food challenge. We need to get back on this, We started, but strayed off somewhere.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2018, 02:04:25 AM »
David, that tenderloin sandwich sounds like a fancied up version of my breakfast the day after fixing schnitzel. I just make a sandwich with leftovers. Draining on a wire rack inside a baking pan is a good tip. I've been doing that for years. Amazing how much oil drains off stuff.

Woodie, you need to pickup the pace there. Slacking off again.  :rofl:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2018, 06:15:40 PM »

Woodie, you need to pickup the pace there. Slacking off again.  :rofl:

Yep. Putzing again. Picked up feed today. Thats all we got done.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2018, 08:50:09 PM »
I'm a day early. But my wife is traveling for work and I pulled a salad Nicoise together.

I'm laid back here. The base is potato and green bean but I let it go from there. I used sardines over anchovies, skipped the peppers, used jarred capers over olives, and loved it.

It's the oddest dish of a mix of pickled seafood, hard boiled eggs, fresh produce, herbs (tarragon), potatoes, green beans, and a super funky vineagrette.

This is a no joke survival staple from (once again) the French who make do with whatever they find. You could just as well use a can of tuna. I added tomatoes but there's no reason to require them.

If it helps think of the balance betweeen the earthy potato and green bean and the fishy funky anchovies and thesuper herby vinegar dressing.

Traditional French survival food. Awesome.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2018, 09:07:19 PM »
mine was scavenged foods today, and sugar, salt and oil from storage. Late afternoon I juiced a meyer lemon into a glass, added water and some sugar for lemonaid. This evening, I had a very light supper of foraged wild radish leaves ( weeds ) scrambled up with a couple fresh eggs from the hens ( they realy love the wild radish leaves, but today they got that velcro plant, lady's bedstraw, as that is not edible to me )