Author Topic: Ramen Noodles  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Ramen Noodles
« on: December 10, 2017, 03:18:27 AM »
I bought a case of ramen in 2014. I used to take them to work with me but a lay off happened and I fully retired. Anyway I still have them, looked at them the other day and saw the best by date. 2018 hmm, pretty good shelf life. If you have Kimchi or vegetables to add they are great. I'm having a bowl for breakfast now. Noodles, whatever flavor you like or leave the flavor packet out, kimchi, soy sauce and sesame oil. Take you time and eat it with chopsticks.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Ramen Noodles
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 05:24:07 AM »
  I use a good number of those also,even though they don't come in possum,squirrel,of alligator flavors. I will often soften them and add some cheese or after softened I may brown them a bit (the first time was an accident) and had a kind of hash brown thing...My dog gets to eat some too.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 06:38:16 AM »
I have friends who break up a pack of raw ramen and use it in salads.

I can't stomach the stuff. I dated a Japanese major in college and we hit every Asian restaurant in town. There's a place near the U of MN campus called Hong Kong Noodle that will make cheap noodles a thing of the past.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 06:48:11 AM »
  I use a good number of those also,even though they don't come in possum,squirrel,of alligator flavors. I will often soften them and add some cheese or after softened I may brown them a bit (the first time was an accident) and had a kind of hash brown thing...My dog gets to eat some too.

I worked with a bunch of Koreans and learned to eat almost anything with noodles and kimchi.

I have friends who break up a pack of raw ramen and use it in salads.

I've tried that. Meh  :-\

I can't stomach the stuff. I dated a Japanese major in college and we hit every Asian restaurant in town. There's a place near the U of MN campus called Hong Kong Noodle that will make cheap noodles a thing of the past.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:59:41 PM »
We've never bought it that I can remember.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:49:07 AM »
Cheap fixin's. I used to pay $1 for 7 pkg. now it's getting expensive $1 for 5 pkg. I always bought by the case of 24. I need to start making kimchi again, that stuff isn't cheap. I had to pay $11 for a half gallon a couple weeks ago.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 04:04:05 AM »
Cheap fixin's. I used to pay $1 for 7 pkg. now it's getting expensive $1 for 5 pkg. I always bought by the case of 24. I need to start making kimchi again, that stuff isn't cheap. I had to pay $11 for a half gallon a couple weeks ago.
Now you are teasing. Kimchi recipe please.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 04:21:48 AM »
I make a green kimchi from a book I have. It's very similar to this but doesn't use the red pepper flakes (gochugaru). The kimchi I buy is similar also. BTW when I buy it I put a small plastic tub in the floor of the car. The kimchi often starts fermenting again and overflowing the jar even with the lid tight.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-easy-kimchi-at-home-189390

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 05:25:09 AM »
Chemsoldier the recipe I use is in this book by Charmaine Solomon. I'm almost positive it is still under copyright so I'll refrain from posting the recipe or even a link I found to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Asian-Cookbook-Charmaine-Solomon/dp/1742701442