Author Topic: 24 States to lose CHP Reciprocity with VA  (Read 7710 times)

Offline The Spartan Dad

• Survivalist Mentor
  • one step at a time
24 States to lose CHP Reciprocity with VA
« on: December 22, 2015, 10:46:29 AM »
Mods: I put something similar up as a Call to Action on the regional VA board but thought this information was also pertinent here for anyone who travels with a CHP and also election implications.

The Virginia Attorney General, Mark Herring, a member of the Party of Gun Control, has decided to expand the attack on concealed handgun permit holders that was started by Governor McAuliffe.  What Herring and McAuliffe can’t get done through the General Assembly, they will get by abusing their elected positions.

Herring had an “audit” performed on the states whose permits are honored in Virginia and has decided (surprise, surprise) that two-dozen of those states don’t meet the “standards" required.

The two-dozen states will have their recognition dropped on February 1, 2016.

If you live in one of the following states, you will no longer be able to CHP in VA:

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

The following permits will continue to be recognized:  West Virginia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah.

Here is an article:
http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/government-politics/article_173cb220-0e32-5e3a-b97b-6a618b5e946e.html

VA and our troubles aside, what you are witnessing is the next plan of the gun grabbers. Bloomberg poured millions into our recent state elections. The gov pledged to bring CA gun laws to VA and make us a model for the nation in gun control. They got utterly destroyed at the polls and gun right supporters kept control of our state senate and house.

McAuffile's response has been to abuse executive power in every manner he can, regardless of the will of Virginians per the recent election results. Through an "emergency order", we can no longer CHP carry at any executive controlled building such as ABC or DMV. Now the removal of reciprocity to half the nation is a huge blow. We are fighting back with looking to pass laws protecting these rights and failing that, legal action. Let this be a warning though as to the next phase of the gun grabbing game. It's not safe even with full control of the legislature. If an anti gets control of an executive post, they are going to ram through whatever damage they can do.

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
Re: 24 States to lose CHP Reciprocity with VA
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:52:08 AM »

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 10:54:31 AM »
New tactic from Obama/Clinton and their allies: Bypass legislatures to impose stricter gun laws on lawful citizens.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 10:58:05 AM »
Mod Note:  Two threads were merged into this single thread due to duplication.  There is another thread on the Region 2 board, I figured that one might attract notice from those that do not pay attention to the political boards.

Offline The Spartan Dad

• Survivalist Mentor
  • one step at a time
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 11:05:40 AM »
Mod Note:  Two threads were merged into this single thread due to duplication.  There is another thread on the Region 2 board, I figured that one might attract notice from those that do not pay attention to the political boards.

Thanks, I wasn't sure of the best place for this one.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 11:26:03 AM »
They will reap the whirlwind on this one.

Over the last 10 years, lots of democrats have been quietly getting permits.  Most of them were not firearms aware back in the days when reciprocity was uncommon.  Permit holders are not going to enjoy getting hassled and having to play guessing games on their ability to carry.

There is a reason that the hippies have been focusing on "assault weapons", because they are scary sounding and because they are separate from the wildly popular concealed carry.  Handgun bans are off the table and NO state is seriously talking about making getting a permit to carry harder. Even Colorado, which rode the Newtown bandwagon to tighter gun laws (and the Democrats got hurt for it) only made their magazine limit 15 rounds...precisely because most CCW firearms would not be directly impacted by it.

This may also be "toes in the water" and if there is a huge backlash this finding can be removed.  Turds.

Offline The Spartan Dad

• Survivalist Mentor
  • one step at a time
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 03:39:06 PM »

Over the last 10 years, lots of democrats have been quietly getting permits.  Most of them were not firearms aware back in the days when reciprocity was uncommon.  Permit holders are not going to enjoy getting hassled and having to play guessing games on their ability to carry.

There is a reason that the hippies have been focusing on "assault weapons", because they are scary sounding and because they are separate from the wildly popular concealed carry.  Handgun bans are off the table and NO state is seriously talking about making getting a permit to carry harder. Even Colorado, which rode the Newtown bandwagon to tighter gun laws (and the Democrats got hurt for it) only made their magazine limit 15 rounds...precisely because most CCW firearms would not be directly impacted by it.

This may also be "toes in the water" and if there is a huge backlash this finding can be removed.  Turds.

Yes, they may come to regret doing this ill advised move.

The reaction from gun owners and legislators to what Herring and McAuliffe have done reminds me of Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto's words after Pearl Harbor:  “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”
-From our state 2A group's president who has been deeply involved with combating this all day.

So far the two polls I've seen in the newspaper articles reporting on this both stand at over 90% against.

Offline NickJ

• Prepper
  • NEVER pick you nose after harvesting pepper seeds!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 05:30:29 PM »
If you are affected by this, you can get a Utah permit to work around the problem.

Offline Barton

• Survivor
  • Quail Daddy
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 06:09:56 PM »
If you are affected by this, you can get a Utah permit to work around the problem.

It looks easy except the part about Weapon Familiarity Certification.  It seems that I have to have a instructor in my state (there are only 4 listed) certify that I am familiar with handguns, or does my current CC Permit attest to that? We had to take an 8 hour course and then qualify at the range in NC.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 08:06:58 PM »
Or get a Non-resident Virginia CCW permit.

Offline goofyshooter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 02:00:55 PM »
Or get a Non-resident Virginia CCW permit.

NCJeeper,
Do you know the process? I travel thru Va regularly for work, since my NC permit looses reciprocity with this now, I'll need to get the non resident permit.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 02:07:05 PM »
VA AG didn't just come up with this out of his fertile imagination? Say it ain't so! ?

http://www.pagunblog.com/2015/12/23/virginia-move-part-of-coordinated-campaign/

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 05:14:06 PM »
NCJeeper,
Do you know the process? I travel thru Va regularly for work, since my NC permit looses reciprocity with this now, I'll need to get the non resident permit.
Here is the link.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_NonresidentConcealed.shtm

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 06:21:14 PM »

Offline The Spartan Dad

• Survivalist Mentor
  • one step at a time
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 04:56:24 PM »

The whirlwind has begun reaping...

Here's a few photos of today's Lobby Day at the state Capitol from VCDL's FB page.

Gun Rights Supporters

Another shot of Gun Rights Supporters

Anti's Turnout

Gun grabbing is not going to fly in VA.

VA AG didn't just come up with this out of his fertile imagination? Say it ain't so! ?

http://www.pagunblog.com/2015/12/23/virginia-move-part-of-coordinated-campaign/

We just got hold of a bunch of FOI requests that unearthed the foundation of this grab. Turns out the VA State Police and the Republican state senate leader were complicit in this scheme. VA was going to pass a law last year that would honor CCW permits from all 50 states. State Police came out against because of all the revenue VA would lose and the senate leader incorrectly put the bill in Finance to die. Every dollar from CCW permits is supposed to go towards processing permits so there's no money to lose and it shouldn't have gone to Finance.

Here's the full story from VCDL:

A series of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests have been issued to get to the bottom of Attorney General Herring’s advice to the Virginia State Police (VSP), and VSP’s acceptance of that advice, to pull recognition and reciprocity with 25 states, affecting 6 MILLION CHP holders.

Paul A. Prados was one of several people who issued some of those FOIA requests and he has found some very troubling connections between the Attorney General’s office, the VSP, a Republican Senate leader, and the anti-gun Coalition to Stop Gun Violence (CSGV).

Paul wrote two articles on the information that his FOIA requests brought out (links below to the articles).

What really bothers me is the access and help Lori Hass, Virginia Director for CSGV, got from two people who have just retired:  Lt. Colonel Robert Kemmler with the VSP and Republican Senator Walter Stosch, who represented Henrico and Hanover.

Last year Delegate Lee Ware introduced HB 1329 for VCDL.  That bill would have honored permits from all states. (A similar bill has been introduced by Ware this year.)

Stosch, the VSP, and CSGV appear to have colluded to raise a FALSE issue to kill HB 1329 by having it sent to a finance committee where it should never have been sent.   And, right on cue, the bill died because no appropriation was made (nor was it planned that there would be an appropriation).

The false claim was that honoring the permits from all states would mean fewer people would get a Virginia non-resident CHP and that would cost the state $339,500 a year.  There’s one problem - the money from those permits was meant to reimburse the VSP for the cost of processing the permits.  The state should not see any kind of profit from permits, but should only break even.

If the VSP was really concerned about loss of income from non-resident permits, then why would they devalue those non-resident permits they way they just did, by making them significantly less useful?  Instead of getting Virginia non-resident permits, people are flocking to get Utah non-resident permits, which are cheaper, honored here, and also honored in some of the states that we are either losing or might lose on February 1.

Lori Haas has been the Governor’s patsy in helping to pay back Michael Bloomberg since he was elected - Lori was even on his transition team.  So finding out that she was working with Herring was no surprise whatsoever.

But my faith in the LEADERSHIP of the VSP continues to be shaken.  VSP is supposed to be non-partisan, but I don’t feel they can be trusted to give the General Assembly advice on police matters right now.  Not seeing how they have become so tainted with political activism that they are working against the interests of the Commonwealth and its citizens.

And just as bad, a leader of the Republican Party in the Senate, nonetheless, stabbing trusting gun owners in the back.

There are more shoes waiting to drop, stay tuned.

This discovery has only stiffened VCDL's resolve to undo what Herring, Walter Stosch, and the VSP under Colonel W. Steven Flaherty and Lt. Col. Kemmler, have done to gun owners.

We need a tidal wave of gun owners telling their Senator, regardless of party, to support recognition of ALL permits from other states and to do so THIS YEAR.   We will probably need to override a veto, but this issue has resonated so hard that it might well take on a life of its own.

Here’s the links to the articles:
http://thebullelephant.com/unwrapping-the-unwanted-christmas-present/
and
http://thebullelephant.com/the-unwanted-christmas-present-clearing-the-obstacles/

Offline Newtopian

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »
I'm so glad to see the turnout was huge for VCDL and was pathetic for the anti's.
I wasn't able to make it to Lobby Day yesterday.

I'm holding off on spending the $112 to get my FL permit in hopes that this thing crashes and burns. If there's no hope in sight, I'll scrape together the money.

Offline The Spartan Dad

• Survivalist Mentor
  • one step at a time
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 04:51:14 PM »
It's done. McAuliffe put his tail between his legs and backed down. Apparently, they were not expecting the reaction received.

McAuliffe to restore handgun reciprocity in deal with Republicans
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/mcauliffe-to-restore-handgun-reciprocity-in-deal-with-republicans/2016/01/28/6f8c0240-c5d8-11e5-9693-933a4d31bcc8_story.html?postshare=6951454005619197&tid=ss_tw

It's being framed as a compromise but there really isn't a compromise... all of the points McAuliffe got are harmless and are really already in effect. The gun grabbing groups are furious. It remains to be seen how this ultimately plays out but its at least headed in the right direction now.

I'm so glad to see the turnout was huge for VCDL and was pathetic for the anti's.
I wasn't able to make it to Lobby Day yesterday.

I'm holding off on spending the $112 to get my FL permit in hopes that this thing crashes and burns. If there's no hope in sight, I'll scrape together the money.

I don't remember the exact number but I think it was 1200 or 1500 people showed up for VCDL. They broke up into 26 teams. I think this turnout had a lot to do with the reversal.

Offline The Spartan Dad

• Survivalist Mentor
  • one step at a time
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 07:44:03 AM »
More details are coming in and it looks like a complete rout! First off, for all you out of staters who may be affected, the reciprocity loss deadline has been extended to March 1st. There is currently legislation in the works that stands a very good chance of passing. If it passes:

-VA will recognize CHPs from ALL states, known as universal recognition, which is substantially more than the 30 recognized before this started.
-The State Police and the Attorney General will have NO say in the new law. Both groups have lost too much credibility to be allowed any sort of independence. If another state requires a formal agreement to honor Virginia CHPs, the new law requires the Attorney General to enter into any such agreement.

The compromise:
-There are some other things but this is the biggest. State Police will be required at all gun shows. It is on the LEOs to show up, the gun show can proceed without them. They will be there to do 100% voluntary background checks for private sellers. Private sellers/buyers can walk at any time from the check with no consequences. The background check will not collect ANY firearm information (no federal Form 4473). There will some sort of carrot provided to those who do the check, probably qualified immunity or something similar.

Some have been concerned that the voluntary background checks will open the door to mandatory checks and gun registrations but these have been pushed as hard as possible every year anyway.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 11:58:02 AM »
That is outstanding. Glad to hear that the governor felt the heat. Hopefully the message is received by others who take Bloomberg's money.

Offline Newtopian

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
This is why I spend money to join VCDL and donate to the group.

d3nni5

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 05:04:02 PM »
Whoohoo,

I still have reciprocity :).

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2018, 07:43:44 PM »
I live in VA. Please don't get me started. What we have for a governor and up are bad news. They have fixed it that way so we can't win at the voting booth. No matter what the people say we loose.