Author Topic: Underwear?  (Read 21956 times)

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Underwear?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 06:52:32 AM »
fyi if you have trouble finding bag balm in your area try a feed store.  Around here most stores use to cary it but lately can only find it at the local feed store.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »
fyi if you have trouble finding bag balm in your area try a feed store.  Around here most stores use to cary it but lately can only find it at the local feed store.

And, if the standard green can just doesn't seem like enough, you're more likely to find the 4.5 lb bucket if you go to the feed store.   ;D

One of these days I'm going to get one, just to watch my wife roll her eyes and launch into a rant:  "Are you out of your mind?  When are you ever going to use all that goop?"   :D

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »
With the bucket, you can go hands free. ;D

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 03:49:56 PM »
that is a lot of bagbalm!

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »
And, if the standard green can just doesn't seem like enough, you're more likely to find the 4.5 lb bucket if you go to the feed store.   ;D

One of these days I'm going to get one, just to watch my wife roll her eyes and launch into a rant:  "Are you out of your mind?  When are you ever going to use all that goop?"   :D

I have to say, there was the potential for the pictures in this thread to be much worse...

Wow though, that's a big bucket

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »
With the bucket, you can go hands free. ;D

:rofl: :clap: :rofl:

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
I like Anti Monkey Butt Powder http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Monkey-Butt-Absorber-Friction-Calamine/dp/B001W4FKDU (admins feel free to fix the link for referal $$). I find it keeps stuff dryer, and does not goop up like baby powered does.

I have also had great success with Under Armor. I like the longer lengths.

Make sure to clean the areas well, and if you have days when you will be under "normal" environments, I like to spray my junk 1-2 times a week with Lamisil  http://www.amazon.com/Lamisil-Defense-Spray-Powder-4-6/dp/B000GU6ELI as offense.  If I know the next day I will be going hiking, I will shower the night before, spray with Lamisil and go to bed. I thge morning, a quick shower, with attention to drying the area, then a healthy dose of Anti Monkey Butt Powder.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »
I like Anti Monkey Butt Powder http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Monkey-Butt-Absorber-Friction-Calamine/dp/B001W4FKDU (admins feel free to fix the link for referal $$). I find it keeps stuff dryer, and does not goop up like baby powered does.

I have also had great success with Under Armor. I like the longer lengths.

Make sure to clean the areas well, and if you have days when you will be under "normal" environments, I like to spray my junk 1-2 times a week with Lamisil  http://www.amazon.com/Lamisil-Defense-Spray-Powder-4-6/dp/B000GU6ELI as offense.  If I know the next day I will be going hiking, I will shower the night before, spray with Lamisil and go to bed. I thge morning, a quick shower, with attention to drying the area, then a healthy dose of Anti Monkey Butt Powder.

Exposure to the sun also keeps the fungus at bay if you can't get lamisil... just don't get arrested, they frown on sunning the junk in some locales

Sunlight on feet also keeps athlete's foot away, and won't get you arrested

Offline standingbear

• Prepper
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2012, 05:45:43 PM »
I have been wearing boxers from Duluth Trading Company  called buck naked boxers and they are comfy and last, they have great wicking and anti odor controll for those long hot days.
They cost 19.50 a pair and are well worth it in my opinion.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2012, 04:04:04 AM »
This thread is a year old but I will comment.
This century I spent 6 years as an over-the-road truck driver and had serious testicle problems, being locked into the driver's seat 10 hours a day.  First I abandoned blue jeans in favor of slacks to give the tender parts more room when sitting.  Then I experimented with way more underwear than any straight guy has any business doing ;)  Never bought the fancy stuff off the internet like underarmor, I was living out of a Post Office Box for mailing.  Never found the solution.

However!  I did learn an import lesson from a female friend.  Nylon.  Simple, cheap nylon underwear does not absorb moisture like cotton and you can wash it out by hand in a sink and it dries quickly to be ready for the next day.  It folds up into nothing and weighs nothing.

And it's cheap. Cheap enough to be disposable.  Ethnic slur removed. Not that I am advising to wear women's underwear but Macy's has nylon underwear for men. Probably KMart and Target too.

Haven't researched that personally because all my experiments have resulted in my having a lifetime supply of cotton underwear which takes up a 5 drawer file cabinet.  D'OH!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:30:18 PM by TexDaddy »

Offline SpareMag

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2012, 06:08:40 AM »
Certainly an educational thread; I work in very hot environment with similar issues as others have stated.  I've never tried the bag balm; always use either Gold Bond medicated powder or if chafed too bad use creamy-style diaper rash ointments--zinc oxide works very well and by morning I'm good to go.  I am definitely going to check out this "new generation" underwear for something better than the cotton boxer-briefs I've always worn.

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2012, 07:02:14 AM »
Certainly an educational thread; I work in very hot environment with similar issues as others have stated.  I've never tried the bag balm; always use either Gold Bond medicated powder or if chafed too bad use creamy-style diaper rash ointments--zinc oxide works very well and by morning I'm good to go.  I am definitely going to check out this "new generation" underwear for something better than the cotton boxer-briefs I've always worn.

+1  on the Gold Bond Medicated Powder,  it works well on chafed armpits and around the twig and berries.

I've used the Hanes Boxer Briefs for some time now and I really like the support and they keep from riding up.  But for super hot days I will have to look into some of the great suggestions,  an alternative to cotton sounds wise enough.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »
Going Commando once in a while especially in humid conditions cuts down on the crotch-rot :o. Its just one of those areas that need regular ventilation ;)

Our drill sgt told us you'll never meet a ranger that wears underwear. A few took that advice. After the first ruck march there were a few that still didn't take his advice. You could tell a big difference. No chaffing, rubbing, soreness after a 15 mile forced march.

I doesn't get any cheaper, lighter, or longer lasting than that.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2012, 08:10:48 AM »

Offline shoffm

• Prepper
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2012, 05:16:02 PM »
Just another update with the underwear. I am still wearing several different brands. My favorite for fit are the ones from Target called dry-fit or some such. I have purchased 6 pair of them and plan on purchasing more. They are by far the least expensive and the best "feeling" ones. I still have two Patagonias as the first two pairs have worn out. The Patagonias are really comfortable but they wear out quick. They don't hold up well. I still have the Ex-Officio and Under Armour but they are my least favorite. Since making the switch I have not worn any cotton whatsoever. I have had absolutely no chafing or anything. I have not had the need to use any balms, powders, or ointments so I cannot comment on them. I have also lost about 40 pounds in the last year with the Paleo diet and I work out often. I am doing Krav-Maga. That has helped tremendously as I have gotten rid of most of the "fat" around the important areas. Not so much stuff rubbing and chafing. I only wish I had researched this whole underwear thing sooner. I can't believe how much stuff I have missed out on just from dreading the crotch-rot. Thanks everyone for all of the educational responses. I think this is going to help a lot of people.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2012, 09:06:14 PM »
Duluth Trading has their Buck Naked Boxer Briefs on sale for $12/pair for three days only.

I'm stocking up now.  Although, come to think of it, in the last 4 years I have yet to wear out a pair of either these or the pricier Ex Oficio clones.  And I don't wear anything else, anymore.

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I aim to kill you with it.
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »
Another +1 for the Under Armor boxer briefs.  Gets some of the longer and some shorter legs if you buy multiple pairs.

Offline heliotropicmoth

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly" -TJ
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »
I have a couple pair of the ex-official boxers. I have had them for years. I really only wear them when I go on long canoeing or backpacking trips. They are well worth the money. My fiance has a couple pair of the women's ex-official panties and she swears by them. Gold bond works great, but baby powder is a cheap effective way to cut down on chaffing.

Now in the winter we both wear long polyester under-suits. Similar to these:

http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Thermal-Underwear-Polypropylene-Wicking/dp/B000ODPDGE

Patrick

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2012, 02:51:35 PM »
Going Commando once in a while especially in humid conditions cuts down on the crotch-rot :o. Its just one of those areas that need regular ventilation ;)

Especially with your 5.11 Tactical Duty Kilt (they're shipping Sept. 1!) http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=34418.0

Seriously, though another vote for Under Armour Heat Gear.

Offline RobertE2E

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 02:17:54 PM »
Some of the companies (such as under armour) are now offering garments with the silver thread technology. I have found that the antibacterial quality claims seem to have lots of truth to them,,,the garments worn next to the skin do tend to smell less when worn for long periods of time or when activity is heavy

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2018, 10:00:43 AM »
ExOficio boxer briefs are the best of the best (and I've tried a bunch of 'em, including Under Armor), but they cost $20-25 per pair depending on the deal you can get.  Recently I bought what appears to me to be the identical product from Duluth Trading, called the Buck Naked boxer brief, for $18 per for a quantity of 4 or more.  I don't do cotton crotch-wrap anymore since I've found these.

This weekend Costco had Ex Oficio 3-packs for $25.