Author Topic: Diesel app  (Read 2144 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Diesel app
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:05:18 PM »
I just bought a Jetta diesel.  While there are a good number of gas stations that sell diesel, not all do.  I'm looking for an app that helps find diesel fuel. 

Yep, I can just go to the Play Store and read the reviews, but I want to find out if any of you guys have used an app that is good for finding diesel.

Online CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
Re: Diesel app
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 05:34:40 AM »
I drive a Chevy Cruz diesel but don’t have an ap, to find the fuel.  Good idea, though, especially for driving outside your local area.  For me locally it’s not too big a problem.  Diesel prices seem to vary from place to place less than gas, and they don’t change as often, either.  Enjoy the engine!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 06:03:52 AM »
I've looked at some of the apps on the Play Store.  None of them look very good.  Most are concentrated in Europe.  Oh well.

I've only had it since Friday, but I'm loving the mileage.  I was driving a Ford Focus and I was getting 32-35 mpg.  This morning coming in to work I averaged 48.8 mpg.  Yesterday it was 52.9.

Online CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 07:00:26 AM »
I’m averaging 40 mpg over the last 30k miles.  It’s well into the 40’s and 50’s when going long distances but drops way off in town. 

Have you looked at gasbuddy.com?  I’ve heard people like it.  They have a web site obviously but I don’t know about an ap.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
They do have an app.  I'll have to give that one a try.  I know their web page has a lot of stations locally.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »
They do have an app.  I'll have to give that one a try.  I know their web page has a lot of stations locally.

I use gas buddy a lot. But only for gas, not diesel. I find that closer to the city, prices are more widely reported. Out where I live, I'm lucky if a station is reported more than once a week by someone other than me.

Offline CarbideAndIron

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 06:40:11 AM »
The only problem with Gas Buddy is that many times a station will have diesel, but it's not shown on there for some reason. I'm not sure if there's an option for users to input that and the price kind of like how waze users give input to the app?
Luckily for us, pretty much all stations out where we live have diesel, but heading into Tacoma or Seattle, it's a struggle to find.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »
I have used GasBuddy, but was not impressed.  I was in State College PA for a college tour with my son, and they directed me to two diesel stations that no longer existed, and to one that only had a truck-sized pump nozzle that would not fit in my fuel filler without an adapter.  I do carry the adapter, but when you use it, you lose the automatic shutoff, so you have to know how much fuel you need.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 04:54:19 PM »
I used Gas Buddy today.  Seems like a decent app. I'll try it a little while and see how it performs.

An adapter?  I didn't know something like that existed.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 10:10:43 AM »
I have used GasBuddy, but was not impressed.  I was in State College PA for a college tour with my son, and they directed me to two diesel stations that no longer existed, and to one that only had a truck-sized pump nozzle that would not fit in my fuel filler without an adapter.  I do carry the adapter, but when you use it, you lose the automatic shutoff, so you have to know how much fuel you need.

See my post above. You were in that area where very few people update gasbuddy. I'm not far from there.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »
I used Gas Buddy today.  Seems like a decent app. I'll try it a little while and see how it performs.

An adapter?  I didn't know something like that existed.

https://www.amazon.com/TDI-Diesel-Fuel-Nozzle-Adapter/dp/B00696Y74O

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/TDI-Diesel-Fuel-Nozzle-Adapter/dp/B00696Y74O
Yup, as soon as I saw the post, I looked it up.  I didn't realize that semi pump nozzles were different.  But makes perfect sense.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 01:18:24 AM »
Yup, as soon as I saw the post, I looked it up.  I didn't realize that semi pump nozzles were different.  But makes perfect sense.

I didnt either until I couldnt get it to fit in my Jetta.....and I was sooo tired too....totally at the wrong pump.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 08:47:51 AM »
I don't know if I'll ever have the need to use it,  but for $10 is it cheap insurance.