Author Topic: Moules Marinieres  (Read 1040 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Moules Marinieres
« on: May 30, 2018, 08:44:14 PM »
OK, this recipe is harder to spell than make and if you want really high end food at home and have access to a good seafood supplier this French dish will delight. It takes about 10 minutes so be on with your prep. I'll be honest about controversy.

Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add 2 Tbsp butter   NEVER USE OIL. this is pure French.
When hot add two chopped shallots and 2-5 chopped cloves of garlic depending on your taste and salt a little
After say 5 minutes when everything is soft add a cup of white wine. I find that sauvignon blanc is the only drinkable white so it's what I use but YMMV.
After the wine boils add the mussels (you did soak them in water to release sand and debeard them already, right?)
Cover the pot and shake it a little. Look in every minute because they will open when ready. It only takes a few minutes.
*******Controversial***** At this point I dump in a quarter cup heavy cream. Not everyone agrees but I like the added body of the sauce. Do what you like.
Turn out into a serving bowl and enjoy.

Here's the fun part. You could enjoy this with fresh bread soaking the sauce (my favorite) or with French fries (pommes frites) with homemade mayonnaise. You could make it "Italian" by adding some tomatoes and fennel to the broth. You could make it "German" by adding some mustard and serving it with rye.

Good fresh mussels (in MN) cost about $4 per pound. My wife and I can't finish 2 pounds. If I serve with bread from a bakery that's a homemade gourmet meal made in under 20 minutes for under $20. And I'll add that seafood dishes like this a drippy and messy and you and your fellow diner will lean in and actually interact with one another so it forces a little human connection. Good for the body and the soul.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Moules Marinieres
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 01:32:35 PM »
I like mussels okay, but they are free and plentiful in my region.  You don't even need to dig for them, they wash ashore on their own tangled in seaweed :D

For me, I literally and figuratively "dig" clams.