Author Topic: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 1  (Read 107020 times)

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
Re: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 1
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 06:33:08 PM »
and this was all done in 7 weeks and a hot summer! god i love the south! good job man. can't wait to do mine in a few years

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 08:51:21 PM »
Seeing this is about the only time I regreat my desision to live so far north!  That is one beutiful set up!  Love it!

BP

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 09:05:01 PM »
Thanks, you guys are keeping me motivated with all your nice comments.

I got the other corn stabilizer trellis put up this evening.  While i was out I noticed  the peanuts have started flowering/ Woot>

I am going to woirk on my raincatch system this weekend and also come up with a low, portable shadecloth frame for a dozen squares or so.

More updates to follow in a few days.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2009, 06:36:19 PM »
do you have an irrigation system from the raindrip? you're doing us proud!

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 07:39:01 PM »
No irrigation yet - hope to make some progress this weekend.   I need to make the connections and dig a pipe run to connect it to the garden (I don't want to drag hoses from my barrels).  While I'm at it i think I'm going to run the regular water out there too so that I have a backup faucet right there as well.

Platform that will hold the 4 55gal food drums:

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 11:24:53 PM »
looks beast dude

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2009, 07:33:48 PM »
I added something new today; we were spoiled by the lettuce I grew this spring.  It's been about 3 weeks or a month since we had to give up on it due to the heat. 

So I figure I'll try and grow some under shade cloth here in the heat of the N GA summer.  Mel says it can be done with extra water and a layer of mulch.  We will know soon enough i guess....

I built the base yesterday evening then the two shade cloth frames frames this afternoon.  I had some scavenged shade cloth (looks like the 50% stuff) and by this afternoon I had it all assembled.

Nothing planted yet, hatching some lettuce indoors this week to put out in a couple.

Assembled and "installed":

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »
I made the frames so they each cover 1/2 of the area I'll plant and can be lifted off individually for tending to the plants:

I also did some woirk on the raincatch system but miscounted the number of pvc elbows i'd need to I didn't git it done.  Maybe tommorrow.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 07:40:49 PM »
Looking nice.
Keep up the posts.
I like your compost area.
I wish I had that much material.
This fall I'll have plenty, but for now, not so much.
+1

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 11:13:35 AM »
awesome idea with the shade cloth over the lettuce. I may try the same thing although, I would enclose the sides because I have also had a problem with squirrels and chipmunks getting in it in addition to the lettuce being burned. It is weird. They only mess with the lettuce and nothing else. I plan on making stew of them anyway, but until then I think that is an awesome idea.  Cohutt, I know you said you salvaged your shade cloth, but do you know how much it runs and if home depot has it? Awesome work by the way, your garden is looking better and better.

evilrob

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 02:55:09 PM »
Also the tomato bed on the side of the house is coming along. Built a trellis netting frame that doubles as a bird netting prop.  Damn mockingbird nesting nearby is a tomato bandit.

I need to find a cheap source for that netting.  Birds are getting at my tomatoes as well.  I'll come home and find half a tomato on the vine still.  Bright read, but half eaten.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2009, 03:01:54 PM »
Roswell, I looked everywhere around here and had no luck. WalMart had some briefly before i decided to do it, Lowes said they put their stock on sale in mid June to clear it and the Home Depot orange aprons looked at me like a dog listening to a radio both times I asked about it. Couple of boutique nurseries couple order it but I found plenty online from the manufacturers I could order.  Lucked into this stuff from a friend who salvaged some for his wife's backyard chicken coup- I asked where he got it and he said he scavenged it but had plenty more so I took a couple scraps home for this experiment.

I took care of the one squirrel that had taken any interest in my garden this morning with a single Remington subsonic HP through my MK II with Outback screwed on tight- my urban pest assassin weapon of choice. (I think I recall that we both posted in a 22 can thread over in modern firearms). :)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2009, 03:07:42 PM »
I need to find a cheap source for that netting.  Birds are getting at my tomatoes as well.  I'll come home and find half a tomato on the vine still.  Bright read, but half eaten.

Evilrob,

Home depot has both "deer netting" and "bird netting" for under $20.   It is the same stuff, the deer netting is something like 7'x100' and the bird netting is 14'x50' IIRC

It is a furkin cluster to mess with; it goes invisible to me when i start moving it around and it hands on everything.  I used the deer stuff folded double @ 3.5' to surround my garden to keep out cats and my bro-in-law's pooch that visits sometimes, you can see it in the pics barely.  I tried to use it with the tomatoes but it wasn't broad enough, so I bought the bird stuff too.  I'll use the other 2/3s of it to cover my corn later I'm sure.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2009, 03:31:50 PM »
Got the connections cut and assembled today for the rain barrel system.  This is the whole thing upside down just pinned together before i glued it:

I'm going to run in underground to my garden in 1 1/2" pipe for volume. The 4 barrels will sit on this platform back against the house 60 feet away

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2009, 03:41:51 PM »
Have you considered raising the barrels to get more water pressure? You'll get roughly half a psi per foot of elevation (to the top of the water). When your barrels are almost empty, you'll have little pressure.

Also, if you put air holes in all the barrels, the water only needs to flow into one, and will balance through your piping system.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2009, 04:30:10 PM »
Mark,

The gutter downspout is going to be diverted into the back left corner barrel and the air holes will be drilled in once I get the 4 assembled.  I designed the system to fill all barrels equally, including the 5th barrel that I can add in the run closer to the garden.

I was going to stack blocks 3 high until I went i used a sight level to approximate the drop to the top of my raised beds. It will be 2.5-3 feet drop at least on just one block; I didn't want to have to raise the 5th barrel so much downstream. 

From what i have read from most folks who have multiple barrels installed, a foot or two elevation gave them enough pressure but some did complain that the flow was lower than they had hoped since they used 3/4" or less pvc for the piping.  Hence the 1 1/2" pvc for the 60 Ft run from the barrels to my garden.

A large part of my roof drains down this downspout.  My house is "U" shaped on the roofline and the inside of the "U" runs down the pipe.  The horizontal area that drains is 1200' IIRC and my calcs come up with under 3/4" of rain to fill the 4 barrels.  The overflow is going to be at the end of the run where the 5th barrel is close to the hedge in some of the photos.  On the other side of the hedge is the alley that runs beside my house; it will get the overflow.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2009, 04:06:51 PM »
Sounds awesome  :)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2009, 07:57:15 PM »
Note:

Rigid trench shovel is a nice addition to the shovel set. I think it was $25 or so.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/4-Trenching-Shovel-Wood-Handle/EN/index.htm

I have the fiberglass handle version of this, I can dig a deep straight walled trench with this at a constant bottom grade.  I did a little digging this evening on what will eventually be a 60ft trench.  In the bottom will be two pvc water pipes (one for water barrels and one fore city water) and power.

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2009, 09:18:50 PM »
hey cohutt, nice job man...looks awesome!

I am going to do single rain barel collection in two different spots around my house.  I didn't even think to turn the barrels upside down and use 1 1/2 plumbing.  will this work ok for single barrel systems too?  if you wouldn't mind, I would be greatly appreciative if you could send me a couple links that you used for resources.  I went out the other day and spent all this money on brass fittings and fixtures, rubber seals, etc...but I was planning on just hooking a hose directly to my barrel.  I only have two and since they are going to be in different locations I don't think...well I don't know what to think now!   ??? 

I wonder if I can make a spicket valve adapt to pvc in a way that I could use the upside down method.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2009, 04:07:42 AM »
I'll dig the links up but for now consider this:

I discovered that the two bungs in the barrels each have a standard thread on them.

One is a standard 2" fine thread that male threaded schedule 40 screws into just fine with a little elbow grease and lube.
The second is a 2" coarse thread of some sort that I am not familiar with BUT the plastic stopper (for lack of a better term) has a punch out hole in it that is standard schedule 40 fine thread in 1/2" (I think 1/2", best to check).  I just took one of each type to the plumbing fixture rack and tested them on fittings there to be sure.

I necked the 2" down to 1.5" for the main run to the 5th barrel and garden, which is what i was digging some on the trench for last night.

Offline yrone

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2009, 04:11:50 AM »
Yeah better get that one off the vine before someone comes over and snatches it off hehe. The garden is looking GREAT!!! Congrats.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2009, 04:21:56 AM »
links for sherker:

http://www.emmitsburg.net/archive_list/articles/gardening/water_barrel.htm

http://www.kidsfromkanata.ca/files/rainbarrels.html

http://www.broward.org/extension/pdf/waterconservation.pdf

http://skagit.wsu.edu/MG/images/RainBarrel/RainBarrelSetup.pdf

My adobe is goofed up on the laptoip right now so I'm not sure which one had the barrels upside down, which gave me the balls to think they'd hold together inverted.  We'll know soon enough,lol.

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2009, 06:06:26 AM »
so the 4 barrels are plumbed to the 5th barrel which is where you have your hose spicket? 

I will check out the links when I have more time, thanks a lot though...

been meaning to ask you another question...what the pic of the shack/cabin under your info on the left side (it has a name, I just can't think of it right now)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2009, 06:46:45 PM »
so the 4 barrels are plumbed to the 5th barrel which is where you have your hose spicket? 

I will check out the links when I have more time, thanks a lot though...

been meaning to ask you another question...what the pic of the shack/cabin under your info on the left side (it has a name, I just can't think of it right now)
Actually the 5th barrel will be closer to the spicket but will be away from it a little- as long as i am running all the buried pvc I'm going to run, I'm going to put a run to the spicket at the garden corner. The barrel will be against a fence about 15 feet from the spicket and 60 form the 4 barrels at the downspout.

The "avatar" picture is of cabin/ BOL up against the Cohutta wilderness:

view from the porch- everything you see is on the property :)

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2009, 09:01:42 PM »
dude that is awesome...is that in Georgia too?  I am not familiar with cohutta?  How many acres do you have?  I have been looking at that unitedcountry.com website that jack talks about in episode 30'ish and I checked out some properties...there are so many cool ones out there.  some of the requirements that I put in the search were 5+ acres, water, and mountains...there are some 'butes in Tennessee

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2009, 04:40:17 AM »
dude that is awesome...is that in Georgia too?  I am not familiar with cohutta?  How many acres do you have?  I have been looking at that unitedcountry.com website that jack talks about in episode 30'ish and I checked out some properties...there are so many cool ones out there.  some of the requirements that I put in the search were 5+ acres, water, and mountains...there are some 'butes in Tennessee

From Sherguides.com:

The Cohutta Wilderness covers 36,977 acres (about 60 square miles) that spill over the Georgia/Tennessee border and lie within the 95,265-acre Cohutta Wildlife Management Area. It was designated as a wilderness in 1975. Hemp Top was added in 1986, making this the third largest mountain wilderness area in the East.

The Cohuttas share a unique distinction with the Rich Mountains in having round, flat-topped ridges and peaks covered with deep, black soils. In most of the Eastern Blue Ridge, on the other hand, the higher the elevation, the rockier and thinner the soils. This characteristic of the Cohuttas profoundly affects the plant communities. Rich-soil ridges are often carpeted with lush ferns and knee-high herbs. The wilderness is home to a variety of wildlife. Deer and black bears make their home here, as do wild boar and a variety of smaller creatures such as bobcats and squirrels.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2009, 08:51:28 AM »
I love the Cohutta WMA.  I went turkey hunting up there a few times this past season.  No luck, but I did see A LOT of wild boar tracks and signs where they had been rooting up as well as some deer and squirrels. Very pretty country.  Cohutt, let me know if you ever want to go hunting together.

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2009, 12:38:02 PM »
That is badass 133 acres!  I would love to get that much land, don't think I could afford 133 acres though!

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2009, 05:40:44 PM »
Corn took off this week and is in the netting.   some of the roma beans are up to 1" long.  lettuce expirement started with sprouts under the shade cloth and indoors.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2009, 05:52:40 PM »
Rain barrels installed and pipe connections made; thankfully no leaks.  I'll cut the downspout tommorrow and install a diverter to load the corner barrel.  i cut a small hole to test fill the barrels; a 1/4" air hole in the other 3 was all that was needed to get water rising in all 4 evenly.