Author Topic: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 1  (Read 104453 times)

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
Re: Cohutt builds a garden, Chapter 1
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2009, 06:00:11 PM »
I have about half of the trench dug out for the pipe to get the water to the garden area as well as the normal water service I plan on running.  It gets old busting the churt and Georgia clay that is a few inches under the sod; I get it started then fil it with water a couple times to soften what is underneath- helps some.  Anyway I've made the turn toward where the 5th barrel will be by the fence.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2009, 07:35:50 PM »
Thanks for the update cohutt 

I really want to express how inspiring this thread has been.
Every time I see your name on the thread, I know you've updated it or passed on a little more info and I get so excited I just can't wait to click the link.
I know realistically that I won't be able to do any rain harvesting until next year at best, but I still get so amped by your progress!
Thanks again for sharing this step by step with us.

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2009, 07:51:48 PM »
I agree keep them coming, I plan to start on mine sometime next week once I get a couple of other half started projects out of the way!

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2009, 08:00:02 PM »
awesome dude! keep the pics coming brother

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2009, 08:10:39 PM »
Thanks, posting this helps keep me motivated to make incremental progress, otherwise I'll end up with a big unfinished project that my wife can remind me of every day.

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
Cohutt, I just checked the bunges on my barrels and unscrewed the caps...the threading seems to be bigger, and with deeper threads...did you find this to be the same with yours?  Im gonna see if I can get a 2" male adapter to go in there

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »
sherker, one was a large coarse thread i didn't recognize and one was a normal thread that 2" schedule 40 screws right into. Mine had a "solid" one (the fine thread) and a "punchout" one (coarse thread), both 2".
 The punchout one had another 1" threaded hole in it that looked like it could be punched out of the bottom, so that a standard 1" threaded fitting could screw in.

(Bad description I know, maybe a pic would work better. )
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 03:26:40 PM by cohutt »

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »
Corn stabilizing netting:

Planting high concentrations of corn in the shallow, soft "Mel's mix" of a square foot garden is asking for trouble around here. We regularly have gusty winds around summer thundershowers that would easily knock over the whole stand once it gets some height on it.

Solution:  
4x4' channel posts +
garden trellis netting

Drive the 4 posts in a few inches outsdie of the corners of the corn squares

suspend netting horizontally over young corn. Be sure to pull tight in all directions.

Wait for corn to grow through

this corn patch is a 3'x3' grid of "Devotion" corn planted 4x/ft.   The leaves of Devotion are substantially broader and longer than that of "Silver queen" so it would really catch the wind.  Note that to pull things tight a row of netting is hanging outside of the posts.

The corn from the side, now above the netting:

Underisde of netting with corn growing through now

Top view of netting with corn growing through now

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 03:15:20 PM by cohutt »

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2009, 07:16:16 PM »
I think I will do this with my corn as well...can you get the post and netting at Home depot or lowes?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »
Posts are at Home Depot

I ordered the netting from an online garden supply website - something like $14.00 for 50' x 4' delivered. 

I dyed it so it wouldn't stand out so much by dipping the balled up netting into the dark stain leftover from what i used on my beds. After i dipped it I dropped it into a couple inches of water to let it even up- came out grey which did the trick.  Mrs Cohutt was pleased. 

I also use it on a frame to stake my tomato plants

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2009, 09:29:54 PM »
are the posts those metal green posts that have fins at the bottom to hold into the ground better, and places all the way up the post where you can tie stuff off and it wont move???

got a link for that netting?  was it white?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2009, 04:28:26 AM »
are the posts those metal green posts that have fins at the bottom to hold into the ground better, and places all the way up the post where you can tie stuff off and it wont move???

got a link for that netting?  was it white?

yes. home depot has them in several lengths, these are 4ft.

For some reason i didn't save the site where i bought the netting.  I searched my old emails for the confirmation of the order. no luck, but all i did was search fro "trellis netting" and there were several entries.  burpee makes some and ace hardware can order iirc.
yes it was white.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2009, 04:48:27 AM »
Sunday's progress on the raincatch system:

I got that damn trench finished all the way to where the 5th barrel will be. This includes getting it under the shale stone path that runs down the middle of my yard.   
I've lifted some of those stones before and it is much more difficult to get them back laying correctly again, so I decided just to go under them.  The zoysia had covered them up 75% again (time to weed-whack/edge the whole walkway again before i loose them) so I ripped back the turf to the edge of the stones first. 
The trenching shovel was sufficient to get under, worked it from both sides.

After i got the trench done i made the connections for the 1 1/2" pvc. I left it uncovered since I haven't run the 1/2" water service out yet; I plan on doing that one evening this week even it I don't make the connect back at the house right away.

trenching under the stone path:

From the collection point to the turn:

from the turn to the 5th barrel's future location at the fence You can see the silver queen and beans in corner of garden is to the left.  (The mist is from a cheap mist making hose fixture I picked up and use when i have to work in the direct sun on hot days- it drops the temp enough to make a difference if I place it just upwind from me.  If it is really hot and there isn't a steady breeze I put a fan behind it.)

from the 5th barrel location back to the stone path:

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2009, 09:21:49 AM »
looking awesome man! i'm taking some serious notes! :) are you finding the soil a problem? ie: sand, rocks, clay? or is ur soil just dirt?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »
looking awesome man! I'm taking some serious notes! :) are you finding the soil a problem? IE: sand, rocks, clay? or is ur soil just dirt?

The soil in my raised beds came from a store, leaves and a cow's rear end.  :)

The dirt where the trench is was hardpan clay under about 3-5" of OK dirt from the barrels all the way to the walkway. It improved some towards the end as that is further from where the original hill ended before they graded out my "lot".   Now the grading took place back in 1869 so I don't have any before pictures or topos lol.  Basically my lot is right at the botton of a small in town hill where the flat river bottom meets it.

Everytime i have done any sort of digging I have found interesting stuff- old glass, and broken tool parts, busted bricks used for fill, chunks of coal, and even a boars tusk (probably after a pig roast 100 years ago.)  This time it was mainly clay and broken bricks although i did scratch the local tan & lavender shale bedrock in one area (breaks up fairly easily).

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2009, 12:33:21 PM »
cool. seems like you got a little piece of heaven

Newb Survivalist

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »
truly inspirational Cohutt. Makes me want to spend more time in the backyard.

-keep it up, you got us hooked on watching your progress, so keep the posts coming. i want to see that harvest!

-newb

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2009, 04:38:27 PM »
Cohutt, I just checked the bunges on my barrels and unscrewed the caps...the threading seems to be bigger, and with deeper threads...did you find this to be the same with yours?  Im gonna see if I can get a 2" male adapter to go in there

I realized i had a picture of the top of one of the barrels-

the far one had the standard threads; the close on had standard 1" threads in the punch out section of the big bung but the threads on the big bung were very large and coarse like what you are describing.

This is the PVC piece I found that screwed right into the barrel- to be sure i carried both bung stoppers (?) with me to the supply store and tested.  Again, this one had a standard thread, not the coarse thread.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 04:53:15 PM by cohutt »

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2009, 07:14:53 PM »
thanks man, that really helps, I am going to take a closer look at it over the next couple of days and see what I can do.  the bung caps that you have look like a better quality, but over all they look the same.  I'll keep you posted if you want.  thanks again!

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2009, 06:47:03 PM »
Weekend update:

Everything is growing pretty well.  I harvested some Roma beans for dinner last night and even my son liked them.  Go figure.

Corn Devotion (on left) is about to tassel out and stands about 6' now.  Silver Queen is a couple weeks behind.

Seeded some lettuce inside and transplanted to under the shade cloth frame; it was 95 here today but I spot checked the soil under there and it was substantially cooler than that in the sun.  Maybe this will work, who knows.

You can see the water pipe trench on the right at the corner of the garden - that's what I spent all day on today, will post progress in a little while:

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2009, 07:50:29 PM »
I'm almost to the garden now with the two pipes- the raincatch one and the city water service.

I had to think through the layout around the 5th barrel- this is where i put the overflow pipe for the whole system as well as a trap to be able to flush the last of the system with clean water if i needed to.

from under the stone walkway to the junction where barrel # 5 will go:

The 5th barrel will be on blocks here; there has been a couple feet of drop vs the other 4 barrels and the top of the barrel will be roughly even with the tall pipe.  This pipe is the overflow pipe for the whole deal and will be routed through the fence to where the water flows into the alley beside my house.

More detail of the plumbing under the barrel:
the barrel will connect to the 2" flared pipe on the right.
The over flow is the tall pipe that goes up next to the fence in the back
The cleaning trap is in the line as it turns towards the corner of the garden
the skinny pipe is city water from my house.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2009, 07:55:14 PM »
This the view from the garden corner back up to the 5th barrel location (I put the dirt from the trench on a pallet covered with plastic so I wouldn't fry the grass underneath and then went to garbage can lids once the pallet was full) :

And finally the shot from the 5th barrel to the garden.  All the wood chucnks and pieces are form the maple tree roots for the dead tree that is right next to the 5th barrel's locations.  I've been wailing a mattock more than I intended to today.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 07:58:28 PM by cohutt »

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2009, 10:31:26 PM »
cohutt, shouldn't the overflow be at the higher barrels?  wont it overflow automatically since the 5th barrel is lower?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2009, 04:24:20 AM »
cohutt, shouldn't the overflow be at the higher barrels?  wont it overflow automatically since the 5th barrel is lower?

The overflow pipe's top is flush with the top  of the main 4 barrels, which is why it is so high vs the ground at the location of the 5th barrel.
The 5th barrel is raised enough to bring it roughly to the same level as the other 4.

The overflow doesn't have to be at the location of the 4 barrels but it has to be cut to match their tops or else they will drain off before being full as you pointed out.  I went to some lengths to calibrate/measure Saturday to measure and mark the 4 barrel's level at the location of the 5th barrel.  If you look closely you can see a black magic marker line on the fence to the right of the pipe that marks the bottom level of the barrels. the top is marked too on the same board but hard to spot.

It should make more sense when i post the pics of the finished system shortly- wrapped it up yesterday.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2009, 04:36:19 AM »
I think what is confusing is the fact that the section of 2" pipe that connects to the bottom of the 5th barrel isn't in the pictures above, only the 1.5" pipe and the reducer the connector pipe will fit into. The 2" pipe was 14" iirc.

OK, the 5th barrel is installed:

I had a couple spare pieces of 1.5" sch40 that i temporarily used to divert the drain back behind the barrel so that the water won't run down the trench to the garden and erode it before i get it filled and the sod replaced.  I'll actually cut a hole in the fence and run it straight back when finished.

sherker you can see the additional piece below the barrel in this shot:

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2009, 04:51:09 AM »
The 5th barrel and overflow viewed from the garden gives a better idea of the drop involved. My yard looks pretty flat but there actually is sufficient grade to get decent flow from the barrels.

The pipes at the garden corner-

The green handled valve is the city water service.

The red handled valve and the pipe above the ground is the raincatch system.  I went ahead and tee'd it for ease of finishing it off (pipe around the perimeter with more valves to run drip maybe?) there is a trap at the end of the pipe running out of the picture- i can shut off the water from the main group of barrels and open this and trap upstream and flush out to bottom of the system where the 3/4" pipe is.  I can also drain the entire system from it in the winter.

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2009, 10:17:14 PM »
"I see" said the blind man, who picked up his hammer and saw...

Same principle as a water level...now I got ya, I thought that you were going to have a huge height difference...and didn't take into consideration that an overflow pipe could go up...

What would happen if you did the over flows at the top though?  would you not get the the right amount of air to move with the water?  I guess you have breather holes/hole at the top 4 barrels...

Just drove up and back from NJ to FL this weekend...they are really doing some work on 95 man, but it seems like they always are...SC is getting some done too

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2009, 04:37:18 AM »
"I see" said the blind man, who picked up his hammer and saw...

Same principle as a water level...now I got ya, I thought that you were going to have a huge height difference...and didn't take into consideration that an overflow pipe could go up...

What would happen if you did the over flows at the top though?  would you not get the the right amount of air to move with the water?  I guess you have breather holes/hole at the top 4 barrels...

Just drove up and back from NJ to FL this weekend...they are really doing some work on 95 man, but it seems like they always are...SC is getting some done too

I decided to have the overflow at the bottom so that any water that flushes out is on a lower part of my yard and closer to the property line when it hits the ground.  Yes I have "blow holes" or breather holes in the 4 barrels that don't have the downspout intake cut into them.

I ran the overflow from the underground line for a couple of reasons. 

First, it was adjustable once i got the whole system piped up:  I measured it slightly long when i glued it in. Then put some water in the system and let it settle to provide the "gravity doesn't lie" water level  I needed to make an accurate cut just below the top of the upper barrels.  Since the lower barrel was about 1.5" lower than the top 4 when all was said and done, I cut it vs the top barrel's overflow line and will put some sort of tube in the blowhole of barrel #5 that is 1.5" or slightly longer to keep it from leaking there when the system is full.

Secondly, I figured even though water will level out in this system, it doesn't take a little time for it to happen IE the water moving though the system won't be all at the same level during a downpour.  (This is just like the tide up a tidal creek being behind the tide in the ocean in the same area. ) I figured the 1.5" connector tube underground would be a better mechanism to lessen this effect vs overflows at one or more barrel tops.

Sorry for the wordy answer, hope it helps. 

I'll be on 95 in SC tommorrow for about 30 miles as I traverse the state west to east to get to the coast. Hopefully this stretch is both construction and idiot-free. 

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2009, 05:09:17 PM »
Looking great cohutt!

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2009, 05:49:34 PM »
it's getting pretty luscious man!