Author Topic: Pre-Apocalypse Ice Cream  (Read 1301 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Pre-Apocalypse Ice Cream
« on: August 05, 2018, 08:11:24 AM »
     I recently began making ice cream from a recipe that I think I saw on Pinterest. It's unbelievably delicious, but the beauty part is that it doesn't require an ice cream making device, rock salt or any churning. You can make a batch in ten minutes (not counting overnight freezing time). here's the deal:

Put a standard aluminum bead pan in the freezer to chill.
     In a mixing bowl stir one can of sweetened condensed milk with three tsp. real vanilla extract until combined.
     In a mixer, whip one carton of heavy whipping cream for two minutes or until it forms "peaks". Don't over whip or it turns into butter.
     Gently stir the whipped cream into the condensed milk/vanilla mix. Don't over mix; gently fold the ingredients until uniform.
     Pour the mixture into the loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap and put in freezer overnight.

This recipe will just fill the loaf pan. This is not soft serve; it will be hard frozen. The result is an incredibly rich ice cream with almost no work. Two things though: it will soften rather quickly at room temperature and has "firmer" texture than store bought. To make a terrific chocolate ice cream just add 1/2 up of real cocoa powder to the vanilla mixing bowl. I made a berry ice cream by mashing a quart of blackberries through a sieve to remove the seeds and added the juice to the vanilla recipe. I just made a batch of maple walnut with the vanilla, adding a 1/2 cup of real maple syrup and a bag of walnut pieces. I imagine you could make any flavor you could think up.
     So, enjoy this easy treat now, before the world goes to Hell. When the SHTF, there won't be anyone left to tell you that you put on a few pounds.   

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Pre-Apocalypse Ice Cream
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 08:18:45 AM »
Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing...

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 09:17:23 AM »
couple of questions - cuz this looks really easy and yummy!

Put a standard aluminum bead pan in the freezer to chill.

does it have to be aluminum?  I only have stone bread pans...

In a mixer, whip one carton of heavy whipping cream for two minutes or until it forms "peaks". Don't over whip or it turns into butter.

is that a cup or a pint or a quart carton?

what a lot of endless variations this creates....

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 11:48:42 AM »
     You need one pint (one pint carton) of heavy whipping cream. As to aluminum, I'm going to try freezing in Tupperware. I don't think it matters what container you use, as long as you pre-chill it before pouring in the mixture, I think it has something to do with keeping the whipped cream "creamy". I keep wanting to replace my aluminum cookware, but I find that when I get to the store I don't remember why I'm there.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 05:33:40 PM »
Careful using plastic to store, the plastic becomes brittle after freezing and can break during, er, "forceful" removal. Letting it soften on the counter will help with that, but I still recommend caution (I've busted a couple of plastic containers this way).

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 08:57:36 AM »
    Maybe plastic isn't the best way to go, but I am trying to get my BPH levels up. So, the maple walnut ice cream is incredible! I made the regular vanilla and added a half cup of real maple syrup and probably 8 oz. of walnut pieces. I think because of the syrup addition, it came out smooth and creamy. Definitely not soft-serve, but less "rock hard" as the standard recipe. It scoops smoothly, but is still firm. It's the most like store bought.
     I'm thinking about a batch of cafe mocha. The vanilla recipe with strong expresso (not too much, but concentrated) and cocoa powder. I might try running some gourmet dark chocolate through the "bullet" and substituting for commercial cocoa powder. Some chips of good chocolate might be a nice addition.
     Then again, I like mint. Creme de Menthe and chopped up Andes mint chocolate bars could work. I think this is the beginning of a sweet hobby. The only drawback is that I can feel my arteries clog whenever I walk past the freezer. If I'm not careful, I'll be "waddling" to that freezer.   

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »
You could also use some light corn syrup, if you want a smoother texture without the maple flavor. Syrups have a different crystal structure than sugar when frozen, and don't require as much physical agitation to get a smooth texture, as you discovered with the maple syrup.

I'm totally planning on making some of this, been dying to test out the recipe I found for blue moon ice cream since it's impossible to find that flavor outside of the upper midwest, and my ice cream bowl for my mixer broke last year.

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 10:31:03 AM »
I make ice cream all summer. While I tend to make a more traditional French custard style I could see the benefit of a dead simple recipe for people not familiar.

Maybe plastic isn't the best way to go, but I am trying to get my BPH levels up. So, the maple walnut ice cream is incredible! I made the regular vanilla and added a half cup of real maple syrup and probably 8 oz. of walnut pieces. I think because of the syrup addition, it came out smooth and creamy. Definitely not soft-serve, but less "rock hard" as the standard recipe. It scoops smoothly, but is still firm. It's the most like store bought.
     I'm thinking about a batch of cafe mocha. The vanilla recipe with strong expresso (not too much, but concentrated) and cocoa powder. I might try running some gourmet dark chocolate through the "bullet" and substituting for commercial cocoa powder. Some chips of good chocolate might be a nice addition.
     Then again, I like mint. Creme de Menthe and chopped up Andes mint chocolate bars could work. I think this is the beginning of a sweet hobby. The only drawback is that I can feel my arteries clog whenever I walk past the freezer. If I'm not careful, I'll be "waddling" to that freezer.   

You're actually about halfway to one of my favorite homemade ice creams. If you make a maple syrup flavor I would suggest adding candied bacon pieces. I serve it on either a waffle or a deep fried French toast smothered in bourbon. It sounds wrong but I swear it's like the best breakfast but for dessert and kids love it (less the bourbon obviously).

If you fill a frozen dish with a light fruit flavored water you can scrape the ice flakes to make a delightful (and healthier) Italian granita which is just about the best palate cleanser between courses. And if you feel confidant to enter the world of custard you can make the Italian dessert wine pudding zabaglione.

OK, so let's put the whole thing together. We start with a yeast raised buckwheat waffle with a good scoop of maple bacon ice cream topped with a dollop of zabaglione and a brandy soaked cherry on top. We also put on the plate a shotglass of 50/50 syrup and amoretto to be poured on top and a great glass of sherry. When I did (for a time) in home catering for very high end clients this was the dessert that always brought the house down.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 12:06:34 PM »
     A person who tried the maple-walnut ice cream gave me some advice. I had used fat free sweetened condensed milk in that batch, as opposed to regular s.c.m. She said that fats will freeze more solid; one reason why this batch was "smoother" was the reduction in fat. I'm also thinking fresh cherry pieces, with frozen banana pieces in vanilla; sort of like a banana split.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 05:46:59 PM »
This sounds great bcksknr. It's on the to do list, soon. Maple bacon sounds like a good addition