Author Topic: Pentagon Fails its First Audit  (Read 591 times)

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Pentagon Fails its First Audit
« on: November 18, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »
It's a great story.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-pentagon-audit/pentagon-fails-its-first-ever-audit-official-says-idUSKCN1NK2MC

I'll have to remember "we didn't expect to pass" for my next IRS audit.

It warms the black corners of my dark heart to see the government can't do something they require every business and every citizen to do. Of course the logical side of the brain wonders why audit it if nothing will come of it and all you're left with is the shock that the Pentagon is fiscally irresponsible.

Hats off to Mattis for ordering it. I don't know what's up with him but he's definitely dancing to the beat of a different drum.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
Re: Pentagon Fails its First Audit
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 10:08:33 AM »
My shocked face.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 11:14:51 AM »
My understanding is that everyone knew they would fail, which is why no one has agreed to one before now.  I do like his response:

Embrace the findings, fix the problems

It is like his WHOLE purpose for doing one is not to see if they pass or fail (everyone knows they would fail) but to find out where he can improve.
Honestly, if we addressed all tests that way, I think our schools would do a better job at educating children

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 12:16:46 PM »
Actually the funny part to me is turning the IRS on the Pentagon. I know, I dream. Can we finally shutter the GAO?

What's sad is that the military on the ground is ordered about and made to fill out paperwork and verify everything is to spec and use formal requisition process but at the top it looks like a drunken slush fund.

Why is it so hard for them to account? If I ran my finances this way I'd be... in prison. Good for the goose...