Author Topic: Power supplys  (Read 659 times)

Offline gnoticpasta

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Power supplys
« on: January 01, 2019, 12:09:53 PM »
Hi, anyone have a good recommendation for a 100w capable power supply?  I'm looking at making my 857D my base radio.  Have kicked around the idea of a deep cycle battery and a charger, but thought i'd ask if anyone knew of some good power supplies that are reasonably priced.

thanks,

GP.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Power supplys
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 10:37:04 PM »
If size and weight are not an issue, I'm a fan of the Astron 35 amp series. 

I got a used one from the 1980s for $80.  It's user serviceable for the most part and works great.  You want a minimum of 20 amps for 100 watts, but really you should plan on 30 or more, depending on duty cycle and modes.

I will say that a quality battery with good discharge characteristics is not a bad option, but you would likely want an elegant solution for charging, like a PWRGate, but that requires an powersupply to charge the battery(ies)

Many people are happy with smaller switching supplies.  I have one of these that I run all my shack accessories and smaller radios with,

https://www.amazon.com/BMOUO-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Computer/dp/B01EWG6YT8

Some lesser switching supplies can be noisy.  I'm a little picky when it comes to HF power.  Many issues I've had when I got started were traced back to sub-optimal power source(s)..

Offline gnoticpasta

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 06:18:35 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Smurf. I was looking at the small ones on amazon like you linked. I think I'll go that route to start with and see what path it leads me down. Ha. You know how ham hobbies are..

GP.

Offline exSun

• Prepper
  • Old and in the way!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 07:55:02 PM »
Hi, anyone have a good recommendation for a 100w capable power supply?  I'm looking at making my 857D my base radio.

Just keep in mind that a 100W radio like an 857D is 100W output, and the efficiency is maybe 50% or less. The radio probably draws 22 A or so, which means it needs a 300 W power supply (22 A * 13.8 V).  A 25 A peak 20 A continuous would be the least current of a proper power supply for that radio.

Chris, NX0E

Offline gnoticpasta

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 07:20:22 AM »
Yep, Thanks Chris.   I ordered (and received last night) the 360w/30a power supply that smurf hunter linked above from amazon.  We'll see how well it works. 

GP

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:35:01 AM »
Yep, Thanks Chris.   I ordered (and received last night) the 360w/30a power supply that smurf hunter linked above from amazon.  We'll see how well it works. 

GP

A cheap and useful hack is to add a voltage meter to that PS.
I got a handful of these.  Installed where the vents were.  Easy work with a hand file or dremel tool.