Author Topic: How to Sell a Gun  (Read 1455 times)

Offline aaronmckeon

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
How to Sell a Gun
« on: January 08, 2019, 07:35:00 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I have a rifle that I would like to sell but have not done so before.  Is the best way to do so on a website like GunBroker.com?  Are there local forums (for me in New Hampshire) that would be good to use as an alternative?  Thanks for any advice.

- Aaron

Offline evh

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: How to Sell a Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 08:47:37 AM »
What are you selling?

Offline aaronmckeon

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 08:50:32 AM »
What are you selling?

It's a Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic 22-250 bolt-action rifle.

Offline evh

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »
I Googled it, nice rifle.

One of the frustrating things to me about firearms is the inability to easily buy and sell as you choose.  I enjoy selling my own items and it is tough with firearms.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 09:49:12 AM »
I do miss being able to conduct private face to face transactions in my state...

Offline aaronmckeon

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 10:01:21 AM »
Are there any forums, local or otherwise, that can facilitate face-to-face transactions or are online websites like GunBroker.com the only option?  If online is the way to go, are there any sites that are better than others or do you have any tips for best practice in using them?  Thanks.

Offline evh

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 02:22:20 PM »
This doesn't answer your specific question but you may find it helpful.  I am hoping others chime in.

https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2016/3/buying-and-selling-a-firearm-private-sales-explained/

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 07:13:25 PM »
It depends, like most other things. Here in Texas, I can sell to an individual with no problem whatsoever. As Jack says, it's between me, the other party, and the fencepost. In some other states, you have to utilize an FFL to transfer ownership to another person. Check your state laws first. After that, sell it in whatever manner you are comfortable with. On the few occasions I've sold a firearm, I always start by asking around the gun guys I know if anyone is interested.

If there is any way to avoid it, NEVER sell to a pawn shop or most gun shops. They won't pay market value(or anywhere close to it most of the time). Be aware that with sites like gunbroker, you will have to pay a fee which reduces the amount you actually get.