Author Topic: ‘Oh my god! Run!’: The day a deadly wave of molasses tore through Boston  (Read 865 times)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Most unusual urban emergency ever!  Shows value of general bugin/bugout philosophy rather than trying to prepare for specific events.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/01/13/oh-my-god-run-day-deadly-wave-molasses-tore-through-boston/

‘Oh my god! Run!’: The day a deadly wave of molasses tore through Boston
A century ago, a giant tank filled with 26 million pounds of syrup ruptured, unleashing a flood that killed 21 people and injured 150 more.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Now how would you tackle a sticky mess like that...........
Wait for the rains??

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Can't get past the paywall (without paying!), but by coincidence my wife was just reading a book about this event.  Sounds ludicrous, but it was a very nasty industrial accident.

Dark Tide: The Great Boston Molasses Flood of 1919, by Stephen Puleo, 2004.

It's good to be familiar with industrial facilities nearby/upwind/uphill from you.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Now how would you tackle a sticky mess like that...........
Wait for the rains??

Experts are clearly needed...call in the Oompa Loompas.

Seriously, Mr. Bill, what did the book say about clean up?

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Maybe I can add some perspective...

I was once in a plant that had a molasses leak. Somewhere between 400 and 700 gallons drained into an area with a contained raised barrier. Since I have done both I can easily say I'd rather wade through 2" of concrete than 2" of molasses. It's sticky AND slippery. It was a nightmare. I can't imagine what happened in Boston. We wound up cleaning with a heated compressed water cleaner (I think made by Hotsy) and it took hours. So bad that my manager told the 3 of us on the project to expense new boots and request new uniforms.

Now I had 2" of molasses in an 80 degree plant... Boston had feet of molasses in 40 degrees. For those not in the know it gets stickier (more viscous) the colder it gets. And trust me. If you're in a foot of molasses you ain't going anywhere.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Seriously, Mr. Bill, what did the book say about clean up?

My wife says "that was one of the great big gaping holes" in the book -- no description of the cleanup. :P

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
My wife says "that was one of the great big gaping holes" in the book -- no description of the cleanup. :P

Well doggone   :facepalm: