Author Topic: Alzheimer's Vaccine  (Read 709 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Alzheimer's Vaccine
« on: January 21, 2019, 09:02:44 AM »
Well, we're not quite there but we might not be far off. They're talking testing.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323734.php

We might be on the horizon of eradicating Alzheimer's. That's pretty cool. Hits home for me because mmy grandfather suffered dementia and all I can say is I have other plans if I go down that road. By the time he died he didn't recognize me. If we could cure that or at least delay onset it would be a real win for humanity. Hey, it's the optimistic thought of the day.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: Alzheimer's Vaccine
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 09:33:47 AM »
Perhaps that will spill over onto Huntington's Disease. That is like having Alzheimer's, ALS and Parkison's all at the same time. My wife has HD.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 10:06:45 AM »
My wife's family has suffered with MS (killed her grandmother and a couple uncles obviously show signs) so I kinda get that feeling. Long term degenerative diseases are the pits. But you never know. Smarter people than me are working tirelessly to attack them and DNA research is getting better all the time.

We conquered Polio and it wasn't so long ago Tetanus killed guys from a shaving nick. Jack Daniels died from a toe infection. And even if we just eradicate one of these horrible diseases all the funding and research can move to the next one. I'd love a letter from the MS Society telling me to keep donating even though we cured it because they are directing funds to other diseases.

It's cold comfort when you see people suffer but the long view is very hopeful. One day we'll talk about cancer the way we talk about TB.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »
Wait, so Alzheimer's is caused by a virus?  The DNA treatment they are discribing is what they have been experimenting with for HIV.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 04:20:49 PM »
Wait, so Alzheimer's is caused by a virus?  The DNA treatment they are discribing is what they have been experimenting with for HIV.

No, it's not viral. 

This vaccine is designed to induce the immune system to produce specific antibodies against the toxic amyloid proteins forming plaques in the brains of Alzheimer's patients.  Vaccines frequently target specific proteins on bacterial cells or viral particles, but they can also be designed to target the protein signatures of a specific toxin.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 05:43:49 PM »
No, it's not viral. 

This vaccine is designed to induce the immune system to produce specific antibodies against the toxic amyloid proteins forming plaques in the brains of Alzheimer's patients.  Vaccines frequently target specific proteins on bacterial cells or viral particles, but they can also be designed to target the protein signatures of a specific toxin.

Ah, that makes sense.  So technically it isnt a vaccine for alzheimer's, it is a vaccine for genetically modified HI virus that has this interesting side effect.  Too bad from a medical science standpoint.  If alzheimer's and related diseases were from a class of viruses it would open a whole new understanding that we could quickly leverage.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 08:29:58 PM »
Perhaps that will spill over onto Huntington's Disease. That is like having Alzheimer's, ALS and Parkison's all at the same time. My wife has HD.

So sorry to hear this... the husband of one of my cousins also has it...