Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

Javelin hunting mammoths in Poland

(1/1)

iam4liberty:
Imagine being that person.  Polish bravery proven again.

https://www.livescience.com/64540-ice-age-hunters-spear-mammoth.html
25,000 Years Later, Javelin Is Still Embedded in Mammoth's Rib

About 25,000 years ago, ice age hunters in what is now Poland threw a light spear known as a javelin at a mammoth. Now, the discovery of that javelin, still embedded in the mammoth's rib, has revealed a major surprise: the first evidence that ice age people in Europe used weapons to hunt the giant beasts.
The spear was certainly thrown at the mammoth from a distance, as evidenced by the force with which it stuck into an animal," Wojtal told Science in Poland. "The blade had to pierce 2-centimeters-thick [0.7 inches] skin and an 8-centimeter [0.04 inches] layer of fat to finally reach the bone."

David in MN:
A .375 H&H? .416 Rigby? .458 Lott? Nope, I'm gonna huck a spear at a mammoth. And I'll opt for a cheap easily broken flint tip. I can't help but think of the African tribesmen who defended against lions with spears. Whole lot of people tougher and braver than me.

Still you have to wonder. Was the guy throwing the spear trying to hurt the mammoth or get its attention to protect his buddy? What I love about history. The more you learn the more questions you have.

Alan Georges:
When I first saw the title on this thread, I though "Oh good, a real-life Jurassic Park kind of place.  Wonder what a mammoth safari goes for?"  Then I clicked through and saw that it was about events 25,000 years past.  Ah well, maybe in a few more years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version