Author Topic: Bugout Fever  (Read 3481 times)

leftcoastrightmind

Bugout Fever
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:32:01 AM »
Bugout fever

So you’ve got your 4 wheel drive all prepped and ready to go.  You have your backpack loaded with everything from MRE’s to fishing hooks.  You have maps & GPS & a digital compass & a thousand other things.  Hopefully you have a couple other critical items.  Those being an actual plan and a destination to carry out said plan. 

I think many times people just think they are going to bug out and head for the hills.  Live off the land.  I mean after all, you’ve watched all the Ron Hood videos.  Read “Patriot’s Guide”.  Hell, you and Kurt Saxon are practically on a first name basis with the amount of his stuff you can recite from memory.  The point is….is that while knowledge is one of the most important things you can posses, simply bugging out to the wilderness or the closest state park in an emergency situation is a recipe for disaster for the average person.  Just getting to your destination even if it is a secret, secure, stocked, and safe retreat could be a challenge.  But for those who think they are going to bugout to  “somewhere” and do “something” you really need to think about the reality and the mechanics of that.  For the most part, you will probably be safer in your own home than out in the woods somewhere living in a tent Daniel Boone style.  Most of us could do it for a while, but the physical and mental strains will take a toll on even the strongest of us, short of those trained to endure.

Try to make hardening your own home and preparing it for the long haul part of your plan if you don’t have a retreat or are part of a group retreat.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 11:33:57 AM by leftcoastrightmind »

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
Re: Bugout Fever
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 05:03:46 PM »
Great post, my friend.
So many folks say when the Defication Hits The Oscillation, they'll head for the hills where they know of "a great little spot to make a stand at". But what if everyone says that and do as such?
Then the things you are trying to get away from will be there when you get there!
I'm with you. If you are already in a rural or semi-rural area, try to make you home as secure as possible for as long as you can. No need to go out looking for trouble. It'll find you soon enough.
City dwellers, you have a much more valid reason to "bug out". A mid sized to large city is not somewhere I'd want to be in a collapse scenario.
Urban survival is not really something Im well educated in. Since Im a country boy, Ive focused on that aspect. That's why I hope Jack's podcasts and this forum will help me aquire some knowledge about the urban aspect of survival as well. I don't plan on being in any big cities, but hey....you just never know, do ya?

Offline stevebluff

• Prepper
  • arte et marte
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 01:37:51 PM »
I live in a rural area (Hampshire, south of en gland) and intend to stay put!  I don't have enough land to fully feed myself, but live in a farming area.  I store as much as I can and hope to get some chickens soon.  I have solar panels, petrol generator, oil heating, bottled gas cooker. Transport, 4x4 (Toyota land cruiser), off road motor bike (BMW 1150GS Adventure).  i have more camping and outdoor gear than most shops!

I am a member of the UK NRA to keep my full bore shooting skills honed, I also shoot clay pigeons (12g) and a .22 air rifle at my local club.  I have a bow and am looking at a cross bow.

Small game hunting is OK (rabbits, pigeons) in my area and some deer.  Bug out locations in North of England and Ireland.

dreadstalker

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:52:07 PM »
Something to think about before you bugout to the hills.
Chances are pretty good someone else owns that property.

Put yourself in their shoes for a minute. You start getting people you don't know (squatters) coming in and setting up house on your property. You aren't going to like it. Not one bit. You have worked that land, paid for it and paid the taxes on it. 
Nope you won't like it one bit and the chances are pretty good that you will do something about it.

Now folks, do you want to save yourself that problem?

Then get your rears out there and really get to know the people NOW. Let them get to see that you can be an asset. Cause if you aren't an asset you are a liability. Talk doesn't cut it. Action speaks louder then words.

Don't even bother saying well I can hunt and garden.  Or that your a vet.
Big deal !
You're talking country folk here. They grew up hunting and gardening. And a lot of them are also vets.

Have a skill that they need.

As I said if you aren't an asset your a liability and come shtf no one wants unnecessary liabilities.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 09:29:32 PM »
I'm staying put, luckily I own a farm in the mountains it is isolated with a creek and thousands of trees. My nearest neighbor is a half mile away and since he passed away the place is empty. Deer and critters are rampant. I would drop a couple of old growth across the road if needed to block it. Everyone seems to pitch in around here, we cut firewood for the elderly, help each other out during hay season and use each others equipment. I would hope it would be the same way during an emergency. It is a good feeling living in the sticks. There are downfalls living so isolated(30minutes for an ambulance,$4 fuel) but I wouldn't trade it away. Good luck on your Bug out locations...

Offline N8TV Whisker Biscuit

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 04:30:42 PM »
Definitely a good idea to become friends and acquaintances with future possibilities of survival.