Author Topic: Ramen for LT  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: Ramen for LT
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2019, 08:22:48 AM »
Blind hog time here. Hit ramen noodles 15 @ $1.00. Quantity they couldn't sell last week at a somewhat higher price. Wasn't advertised.  Got 30 packages. me   wife  ::)

Banana man replacement-----> :excited:<-----

I 4-shur understand the wife  ::) ::)

;D ;D

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2019, 09:03:25 AM »

Banana man replacement-----> :excited:<-----

I 4-shur understand the wife  ::) ::)

;D ;D

Oh it was banana man time right out in front of the store.  :egyptian:

Just over 3 months worth on hand now or a years worth for two people once a week.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2019, 09:14:45 AM »
Oh it was banana man time right out in front of the store.  :egyptian:

:rofl:

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 05:34:36 PM »
I have to toss in my $.02. I love Asian noodles but those cheap ramen... ugh. Yes, it's cheap but I can get the plain noodles cheap from an Asian grocer and use my own dehydrated veggies and get a much higher quality product for not that much more.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for LTS. And you could go along way by adding more veggies. Or by cooking it right. I guess Maruchan is better than starving but ooh there's a reason it's so cheap.

I should note that before I met my wife I dated a Japanese major and we hit every Asian noodle shop in the Twin Cities (there aare a lot). I am very spoiled. YMMV.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2019, 05:46:23 PM »
Up until about 2 weeks ago we had never had ramen. We started with the beef flavor, and so far we haven't choked.  ;D

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2019, 05:50:22 PM »
Well I'll agree they aren't the best but put some kimchi, pickled/fermented radish, fermented black bean paste, etc. with them and they work well. Not too shabby by themselves with just the seasoning pack. Hail just soy sauce helps a lot.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2019, 07:15:42 PM »
Bon Apetit has a pretty good Shoyu Ramen recipe that's at least approachable (meaning not too many Japanese ingredients you'll never find).

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/shoyu-ramen

It takes days to make because the Japanese like the complex broth and rich flavor. While it's traditionally a cheap street food so is Neapolitan pizza, a Chicago hot dog, and some of the best pulled pork I've had came on a paper plate.

There's even a Japanese film anout how hard cooking Ramen is. Tampopo.

If you like the cheap stuff fine consider trying a more traditional version. Takes time but it's not hard work.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 11:28:08 PM »
Thanks. I'll look that over

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 03:19:32 AM »
I've been reading noodle recipes this morning. Easy enough to make the noodles, the only hiccup might be the "baked" baking soda - sodium carbonate, more alkaline than baking soda and apparently not to be handled bare handed. It is easily made at home from sodium bicarbonate.

While ramen may be a cheap street food it can make an elegant dish.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2019, 06:06:53 AM »
How to make baked baking soda.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/11/baked-baking-soda.html

A little more digging around and it seems sodium carbonate is also known as washing soda. Washing soda might be a little coarse for culinary uses.

I know a couple people that probably have large quantities of baking soda and washing soda on hand.  :rofl:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2019, 09:07:45 AM »

I know a couple people that probably have large quantities of baking soda and washing soda on hand.  :rofl:

::) ::) ::)  I wonder what on earth for..

;D

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »
They must be preppers. :rofl:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »
No doubt.  ;D

Online Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2019, 02:52:18 PM »
A little more digging around and it seems sodium carbonate is also known as washing soda. Washing soda might be a little coarse for culinary uses.
It also might not be food-safe. I'm sure the FDA would tell you it's not, but they might be right.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 02:50:26 AM »
It also might not be food-safe. I'm sure the FDA would tell you it's not, but they might be right.

Most likely not safe. Otherwise it was probably be labeled indicating food-safe and perhaps cost more. I was surprised to see it used in food prep, it's also known as caustic soda.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2019, 07:20:36 AM »
It's used all over the place. Olives, Bavarian pretzels, and hominy spring to mind. Smart for home use? Maybe. Depends on your chemical safety tolerance. I mean, where would we be without Lutafisk?

As a guy who uses lye to make soap it's perfectly safe if handled smart. You need skin and eye protection. You don't do it around kids or pets. You do it under ventilation or outside. You add lye to the water, NEVER THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Things like that. I have a high tolerance from years in the food industry working with some gnarly chemicals.

Bottom line is that it's not unusual. Its use depends more on one's comfort in using it.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2019, 08:32:41 AM »
It's used all over the place. Olives, Bavarian pretzels, and hominy spring to mind. Smart for home use? Maybe. Depends on your chemical safety tolerance. I mean, where would we be without Lutafisk?

As a guy who uses lye to make soap it's perfectly safe if handled smart. You need skin and eye protection. You don't do it around kids or pets. You do it under ventilation or outside. You add lye to the water, NEVER THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Things like that. I have a high tolerance from years in the food industry working with some gnarly chemicals.

Bottom line is that it's not unusual. Its use depends more on one's comfort in using it.

Ah yes, I had forgetten about olives, pretzels and hominy. As for lutafisk, I've never eaten it. Actually sometime back on another forum there was some discussion about using lye for pretzels. I never did make the pretzels nor did the other folks.

Hurricane may be correct about washing soda not being suitable for food use. Could have harmful, more harmful impurities in it, :eyebrow:

I may give the noodles a try one day.

One more thing. I could point you to a forum where a whole bunch of people go off the deep end just at the mention of hominy. But they like corn tortillas and corn prepared other way. I believe the nixtamalization of the corn for tortillas used lye, limewater or and alkaline solution.

I have fun with those folks.  :rofl: