Author Topic: Washer fluid  (Read 817 times)

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
Washer fluid
« on: February 09, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »
Bought some washer fluid today. Led me to wonder how to make my own. What do you add besides water? I would think that dish soap might not last that long, compared to commercial products. Straight Windex could get expensive.
In my area, I'm not worried about freezing.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: Washer fluid
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:56:48 AM »
Here are 4 ways I found. I didn't read them thoroughly just skimmed though.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Windshield-Washer-Fluid

Last ww fluid I bought I paid less than a $1 per gallon at WM. That's been several years ago.

Offline thechemist

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 03:40:46 PM »
The blue fluid is typically made with methanol. I'm not sure where you could easily get some methanol to make it. For myself, I used to work in a lab that had lots of excess, expired methanol that I was allowed to take home. 

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 06:24:35 PM »
Methanol is readily available. Most of the gas “heet” treatments are methonal. Also look in paint supply departments. But you can use any alcohol such as isopropyl. A 70%/30% blend of iso/water is both lowered freezing temp and a decent cleaner of bio material like bug splats. Also good in a spray bottle to “melt” icy windshields and windows when you go out to start the vehicle in the morning.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 10:17:22 PM »
I found out 40 years ago that making my own windshield washer fluid with ammonia is a good way to destroy the pump.

Of course, that was so long ago that the pump was a squeeze-thing that you pumped with your left foot. 8)  I don't know what modern pumps will tolerate.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 05:55:13 PM »
Last ww fluid I bought I paid less than a $1 per gallon at WM. That's been several years ago.
This is why I'm not going to make my own washer fluid.  It's so cheap that I feel that using my time on other things is a much better return on my investment.