Author Topic: Body weight  (Read 321 times)

Offline velojym

• Prepper
Body weight
« on: March 08, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »
I was mostly a lurker here a few years ago, with few posts, and as I gained weight, felt kinda 'off' about the idea of Surviving. Depression, I guess.
So, largely inactive for the last few, with a sporadic post here and there.

I'd probably gotten up to 370 lbs or so, and didn't feel like doing anything. I'd gotten into I.T., and a desk job, which made matters worse.
I made a couple attempts at changing things, but nothing seemed to "take".  Also, my BP had skyrocketed with my weight gain. upper and lower with triple digit, 200-something over 140 or so.

In October of last year, I was talking with my brothers, and we decided we'd try to get into good enough shape to ride our bicycles in the Tour de Taco in Oct of '09.
I also started an account on healthywage.com, betting 720 bucks that I could dump a hundred pounds in a year.

Started tracking every thing I put in my mouth, cutting my intake drastically (not starvation, just metering to what I was burning), and started going back to the gym.

I officially started tracking at 348 lbs, on Oct 11 of last year. This morning I'm at 274.2, almost 75 lbs lost since my 'official' starting weight (scale only goes to 350, so anything before that is a mystery).
Also, I've been able to cut my bp medication down to one pill a day, and even then, my bp is on the low side, need to have my doc make another adjustment.

I bring this up here because, in the shape I was in, if something big happened, I would be SEVERELY limited in my options... probably destined for the tender mercies of a FEMA camp, or worse (hard to imagine...).
Now I'm back within the "factory" weight limit for all my bicycles, and will start getting back into riding shape (different than walking shape, a few different muscles in use). Then I'll have my fuel-free mobility back, which I enjoyed greatly when I was in good shape, and riding my bicycle everywhere I needed to go.

In order to avoid blowing up the post with a full history, I have kept a little-visited blog at https://velojym.blogspot.com/
I'm putting a before/current (not "after" yet) pic in my latest post. :)

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
Re: Body weight
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 04:39:20 PM »
Congratulations on your progress Velojym.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 05:28:48 PM »
Yes, congrats.  That's a life-changing amount you've taken off.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 07:09:27 PM »
Awesome! Keep it up! I'm on a similar project but hey we all feel that need now and again. Don't the joints feel better? That's one I've noticed. Makes life easier.

Offline velojym

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 08:03:21 AM »
Yeah, joints aren't as tortured, and climbing stairs has gotten much easier.
I've moved to a more mobile I.T. job, doing equipment installations for offices across the state, and couldn't have done this at my former weight. Getting off the floor was a big chore.

Looks like now the big challenge will be getting my family on board with a more active lifestyle.  I may end up having to go do some stuff on my own... camping, cycling, etc.
Part of why I gained so much in the first place was due to 'sticking around' to be useful to my then-new wife. I had this subconscious 'need' to be near in case she needed me for something.
I've mostly gotten over that.

If I don't take care of myself, I won't have anything to give.