Author Topic: Corned Beef, Re-imagined  (Read 518 times)

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Corned Beef, Re-imagined
« on: March 09, 2019, 12:18:20 PM »
When I was a kid corned beef... Well it sucked. While mom could cook she never worked as a chef and kinda blew this one. So as an adult I reworked it.

Start with a brisket. Trim the damn thing. Fat is good. Connective tissue sucks. Then season. The seasoning packet likely comes with mustard and bay. That's fine but I'm going to add paprika, coriander, and a touch of allspice. Let it rest for a couple hours on the counter.

Put it in a pot to boil and add enough water to braise and bring to a boil. Simmer as long as you want but a couple hours is usually close.

Remove the brisket and put it in a 200 degree (F) oven and keep it warm.

Now here comes the game change. Add potatoes. wait 5 minutes and add carrots. Wait 5 minutes and add Brussels sprouts. What? Yup, whole Brussels hold together and don't give off as much water as cabbage. We want a good dish, not a soupy mess. After the veggies cook to being soft, about 10 minutes more (check the taters with a knife) add the veggies to the meat in the oven to keep warm.

Now crank the heat and reduce that cooking liquid. Take the meat out of the oven to rest and slice. When the meat is sliced and the sauce is just thick put it all together for a bang-up presentation and a new twist on a classic.

One more thing... No matter what recipe you use reduce the veggies by half. You don't want leftover corned beef and veg. You want leftover corned beef for hash and sandwiches. The veggies just don't age well.

Just my twist for St. Patrick's.

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Corned Beef, Re-imagined
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 05:22:03 PM »
This sounds great!  +1

Offline Carver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 10:22:19 PM »
David, your culinary expertise exceeds the nature of a corned beef dinner, a peasant food. This is like “This Old House” doing a trailer home. Carrots, Brussels.... like parking a Benz in the driveway of the trailer home. Or serving Scotch with hot dogs. If you put that on my plate I’d eat the Brussels, then the carrots and then nibble on the beef. Your mom’s cooking isn’t to be blamed but rather the Irish for making a tradition out of a dinner of an inedible slab of meat. We eat this dish annually as a respectful recognition of the humble diet of ignorant hardworking Irish immigrants. Green beer? But we do that. Corned beef has to be served with red potatoes and cabbage or it isn’t Kosher. Anything else is heresy. If you’re not chuckling by now you’re not Irish, and neither am I.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 11:47:02 AM »
I'm not Irish at all. As a good Pole with Chicago roots I wear red on St. Patty's. It's an old rivalry joke that just means we think we're more dirt poor. Actually I celebrate a lot of traditional meals because as a child I grew up in a very orthodox Jewish community so we just did their meals and it was fun. And as a cooking enthusiast it's really a great way to experience other cultures. So from Chinese New Year to Eid to you name it I celebrate it with food.

I also really like the trend of rethinking traditional meals. What would be the most fun would be to have a two plate meal. One the way "grandma made it" and one remade in a modern way. I'm the guy who shows up at Thanksgiving with a French galette and Etheopian yams. Traditional-ish. It's funny because all the kids go for the old-school stuff but all the grown ups want something weird and new.

As always we straddle the line of tradition and novelty.

Offline Carver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 05:31:55 PM »
Fortunately we moved to a location where lutefisk is popular. In Nicollet Minnesota, somewhere southwest of Mankato, there is a wonderful butcher shop that sells their head cheese and it is so good. Growing up we always went to https://www.ingebretsens.com on Lake & Bloomington for head cheese, lutefisk and blood sausage. My Czech type wife introduced me to pierogies.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 08:09:11 AM »
Mild digression, but a "prepping life hack" I've been doing for a few years is to buy the discounted corned beef packs post-Saint Paddy's Day.
Get that for pennies on the dollar and then pressure can it.  I usually put a few 1/2" cubes of potatoes and a pinch of salt per jar.  Canned meats are rarely great, but corned beef hash for $0.25/pint is practical way to put up some protein.  It's not a bad breakfast when out camping.

I've smoked exactly one brisket.  It's difficult to find pre-cut chunks of reasonable sizes.  Maybe that means I should actually "talk" to the butcher :D
Buying a 16 lbs slab gets expensive if your goal is experimentation.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 07:31:59 AM »
Mild digression, but a "prepping life hack" I've been doing for a few years is to buy the discounted corned beef packs post-Saint Paddy's Day.
Get that for pennies on the dollar and then pressure can it.  I usually put a few 1/2" cubes of potatoes and a pinch of salt per jar.  Canned meats are rarely great, but corned beef hash for $0.25/pint is practical way to put up some protein.  It's not a bad breakfast when out camping.

I've smoked exactly one brisket.  It's difficult to find pre-cut chunks of reasonable sizes.  Maybe that means I should actually "talk" to the butcher :D
Buying a 16 lbs slab gets expensive if your goal is experimentation.

Excellent idea with the corned beef Smurfy. Briskets are mostly whole cyrovac packs here unless you go to an upscale grocery store, way expensive then the whole ones are bad enough. Ain't happening.

Offline Carver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 09:20:16 AM »
Good idea buying on sale afterwards. We do that, this year's we bought last year and kept it in the freezer. We will have it for dinner and then slice the remainder up for sandwiches.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 09:30:28 AM »
That's the only way I buy meat, on sale. I can usually get fresh pork shanks for less than $1 lb., whole chickens though usually not on sale are less than $1 lb. also. I'll have the pork shanks sliced or not sliced and cook for pulled pork or cut into pieces and can it. I make stock from the chickens and can the meat.