Post full text

yes
4 (66.7%)
no
1 (16.7%)
idk
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: pistol caliber carbine 357/38 special vs 40sw/10mm  (Read 849 times)

Offline Gun-nut

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
pistol caliber carbine 357/38 special vs 40sw/10mm
« on: May 09, 2019, 06:35:10 PM »
I wrote a short article comparing two pistol calibers comonly used in pistol carbine combinations. its on my blog.

https://cesplin.wordpress.com/2019/05/09/357-38-special-vs-40sw-10mm/

I can post the full text here if there is intrest

Offline Gamer

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: pistol caliber carbine 357/38 special vs 40sw/10mm
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 07:04:32 AM »
I'm a Brit and have never owned a gun so what the hell do I know about guns, but I do know a little bit about physics, and if I ever bought a gun I wouldn't touch a .22 in a million years, I'd go for something like a .38 revolver.
Smaller bullets may fly faster, but they lose their kinetic energy quicker than a larger round if they have to penetrate cover like a door, fence or bullet-resistant vest.
As for the revolver vs semi-auto choice, I hear revolvers are more reliable and rarely jam, so I think I'd plump for a revolver. 

Offline Lefty Red

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 11:31:16 AM »
Between the two choices you offer, I would take the 357 Mag lever action every time.

If I may add an option, it would be the 44 Mag.  Just blows the 357 away, and I find it easier to reload for.

With that said, my main hunting rifle for deer, hog, and paper plates is a Ruger 77/357. Reliablely feeds 38s, laser like accuracy, strong, and just plain fun to shoot. Had a Rossi 92 in 357, traded it for a 44 mag. My Rossi(along with almost ever Henry and Marlin I know of) would not feed 38s worth a hoot. Did see a Rossi that went off to be “tweeked” come back and run flawless. A Henry I had went to the facility three time before a gunsmith called  me and told me what I I will write in the next paragraph, if I wanted a flawless running lever better get e rifle or big pistol caliber.  Now, I have heard of the newer 327 Mags Big Boys running very well. So thinking Henry scaled down some parts for the 32 caliber. And hoping that helps out the 357 version too.

Reasons for the 38s not feed well in levers is the fact that most started out as 30/30 and 44/45 calibers. Engineers tweeted a few parts to get the rifle to run with big pistol caclibers. But when tweeted again for medium pistol rounds, they jam. Best 38/357 caliber rifle I ever owned was a 360 Wesson chambered Marlin.

Ruger’s new PCC in 40S&W looks promising though. And it’s way easier to clean than a lever.

Be safe and take what you will and leave the rest, it’s just my opinion.
Lefty

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 12:24:07 PM »
I'm a Brit and have never owned a gun so what the hell do I know about guns, but I do know a little bit about physics, and if I ever bought a gun I wouldn't touch a .22 in a million years, I'd go for something like a .38 revolver.
Smaller bullets may fly faster, but they lose their kinetic energy quicker than a larger round if they have to penetrate cover like a door, fence or bullet-resistant vest.
As for the revolver vs semi-auto choice, I hear revolvers are more reliable and rarely jam, so I think I'd plump for a revolver.

With respect, you're assuming a use case.  A .22 rimfire is ideal for small game.  Hit a rabbit or squirrel with a .45ACP and you'll liquify the poor animal. Obviously not ideal self-defense choice for the reasons you mention.

I know some black powder enthusiasts who have made replica "brown bess" muskets, "kentucky rifles" and similar.  The traditional black powder was simply not capable of achieving high velocity, so to compensate, very large caliber bullets were used.  With modern smokeless powder and the resulting increased velocity, you can achieve greater terminal ballistics using a smaller bullet.

Purely anecdotal:
I've personally had more revolvers jam (one even exploded in my hand), but have not had that happen (yet?) with a semi-auto.  Full disclosure, I don't own or shoot low end pistols like hi-points.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 01:31:44 PM »
I’m set up with a 44 revolver/lever combo now, which is plenty powerful, but harder for me to run fast. Soon as I get the 40 PC carbine I’ll have that plus glocks and revolver that shoot the same round.  Probably more useful in my environment but certainly lacks the thump of the 44.