Author Topic: Is buying ammo relying on the government?  (Read 2952 times)

Juggernaut

Is buying ammo relying on the government?
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:35:51 PM »
I just had this question... Don't get me wrong, I truly agree with the second amendment, but I just think it kinda defeats self sufficient living to rely on the government for ammo.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Is buying ammo relying on the government?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 04:40:28 PM »
What?

I buy ammo from private companies, not the government.

I don't understand how buying ammo is relying on the government.

Where's my ammo welfare shipment today? Can't have ammo only for the rich! Give me my government ammo!
j/k

I wouldn't trust any ammo the government would sell to a civilian. These bastards could screw up anything!

Goatdog62

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:43:04 PM »
I just had this question... Don't get me wrong, I truly agree with the second amendment, but I just think it kinda defeats self sufficient living to rely on the government for ammo.

Not sure what you mean. I buy my ammo from the private sector. Uncle Sam regulates/taxes some aspects of it, but they aren't selling it to me. Am I misunderstanding your question?

Juggernaut

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 04:44:30 PM »
i ment like from a survival standpoint, that governments can do whatever they really want with ammo regulations.  Kinda a dumb question, now that I think of it.  :-\

Offline 96Charlie

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:33:40 PM »
Are you talking about buying ammo intended for sale to the government (e.g. the Lake City stuff) with the government markings on it?  I'm pretty sure that it went directly off the manufacturer's loading dock to civilian distributors and was never touched by the feds.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 11:38:34 PM »
i ment like from a survival standpoint, that governments can do whatever they really want with ammo regulations.  Kinda a dumb question, now that I think of it.  :-\

I suppose you are talking about a siezure?

If we get to that point I will need my ammo more than ever. My rights were granted by God, and recognized by the constitution, until God takes my rights
away I will keep them and protect them.

I will not be a slave.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 02:22:56 AM »

With the ammo company's relying on the military brass, we our in a a way controlled by the government on ammo sales.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 09:26:08 PM »
only reloaded ammo used government brass. the ammo companies like federal and winchester also make the ammo
for the government.

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 09:17:27 AM »
I give you +1 just because you asked about something, some might take wrong. I get you point you were trying to ask about. Wouldn't a true survivalist need to shun or be able to avoid government of industrial support?

Let me say this. The Amish are as close as there is to living that way around here and they would not be able to live the way they do, if we did not live the way we do. In other words we may at one time have to set down our guns due to lack of new manufactured ammo or components.  Let’s just not rush it. LOL

Offline PBRstreetgang

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »

'Relying on the government for ammo' and 'purchasing government pull downs (ammo that meets a commercial sale spec but not the MIL spec) though a private intermediary' are two different things.  I would do the latter any day of the week if the deal was worth it.  There are plenty of commercial options out there as well.  In many cases both the government and domestic commercial industrial bases rely on the same commercial sources (like ball powder, primers, brass, etc.) anyways.