Author Topic: Does anyone know anything about making gunpwder?  (Read 1906 times)

sage0925

Does anyone know anything about making gunpwder?
« on: July 12, 2009, 12:32:11 PM »
This would be for a real SHTF scenario, cause you can still buy the stuff fairly easily. This would not be for black powder rifles, but for reloading.

Commentary, please?

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Does anyone know anything about making gunpwder?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:24:39 PM »
The powders you use in reloading take quite a bit of industry to accomplish. I don't like to use the term never, but you're unlikely to reproduce anything near that quality in your basement.

Making black powder is a simple recipe. Salt peter, sulfur, and charcoal. You can make the charcoal, though making good charcoal takes some foo. Do you have a source of salt peter (potassium nitrate) and sulfur handy? You can make your own salt peter. And sulfur can be mined.

In a real SHTF scenario, you'll be lucky to make black powder that works.

sage0925

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 01:40:47 PM »
LOL...Je te adore...the eternal realist that you are. Thanks, it was a thought...a friend wanted our bat guano to make gunpowder with, so I was kind of wondering.

So I guess we should either stock up or get black powder rifles? Do you happen to have the ratio for those ingredients you mentioned?

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 07:03:11 PM »
LOL...Je te adore...the eternal realist that you are. Thanks, it was a thought...a friend wanted our bat guano to make gunpowder with, so I was kind of wondering.

You can make black powder. I'll include a link to a recipe at the end. The difference between the modern smokless powders for reloading and black powder are like the Model T and the Ferrari Testarossa. With knowledge and a little equipment in your garage, you could make a passable Model T.

So I guess we should either stock up or get black powder rifles? Do you happen to have the ratio for those ingredients you mentioned?

Check out the link below, and all the links on the left from that page.
http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/recipe.html]
[url]http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/recipe.html
[/url]