Author Topic: Pottsville?  (Read 4305 times)

Offline StillAlive

• Survivor
Pottsville?
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:09:38 PM »
Jack, I grew up in nearby Shamokin Pa. I wonder how many more people here actually originated from the coal region in PA.

I knew from the first time I heard Jack speak that there was something familiar about his point of view :)

If your ever in Florida, Swing by and I''ll buy you a Yuengling :)

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Pottsville?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 12:56:48 PM »
I live in Middleburg, just West of Selinsgrove. And I work in Williamsport. While not coal region, it is close to there. And we often visit the Wayside for wings.

Offline StillAlive

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »
I can't tell you how many times in my youth that I ran the quarter mile right next to the Wayside. I'll have to remember to stop for some wings next time I make it up there. I do alwys hit up Coney Ilsand, Mac's Hoagies and MR Pizza whenever i'm in Shamokin :)

My Father worked in Selinsgrove for 20 years with Continental telephone/GTE and then Verizon. I believe his wife is from that area and my sister married a guy from Northumberland out that way

Offline StillAlive

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 09:20:51 PM »
Can't seem to get Jack to chime in some coal country nostalgia...

Offline Stinger570

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 06:59:30 AM »

If your ever in Florida, Swing by and I''ll buy you a Yuengling :)

I'll never forget visiting Texas in 1993. Somebody bragging about this new expensive beer he discovered, and he pulled out a can of Yuengling black and tan!

Went to school in bloomsburg and now work in Scranton.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 07:38:27 AM »
OK here you go a bit of coal region thought and memory.

First of course I remember Shamokin is was the biggest "cruising town" in the area but quite a drive for a broke teenager so we got up there some.  Our secondary cruising town was Shenandoah just past Frackville.   Frackville was home to us in Pottsville of "the big mall" since our crappy little Mall was basically a Gee Bees and a Boscovs connected by a small collection of stores.  I mean come on Frackville's mall had a K-Mart and a Sears!

Cruising Shamokin was cool it was basically a big x, Shenandoah was just one main drag.  We hung out on both ends just a field on the north end and a shopping center on the south.  That shopping center had one of the first Video rental stores in the area back when no one had a DVD player by the way, VHS was still "new".

I hunted and fished from the coal region up to Potter County and back.  In the local area I hunted places like Sharpe, Pine and Second Mountains.  Fished creeks and rivers like the Little Schuylkill River, Pine Creek, Sweet Arrow Lake and Creek (but the creek was called Swat Arraw or simple "the swatty", Clark's Creek, Deep Creek (called "the deep crick"), etc.  Spent a lot of time fishing Tuscarora lake as well.

Yuengling was the first beer to ever touch my lips or give me a hang over.  I take a perverse pleasure in letting any yuppy type that finds this "excpetional microbrew in his travels", know yea I grew up drinking that after high school in the Pottsville cemetery, we called it Pottsville piss water.  I was in New Jersery one time at a fancy smancy hotel, asked the waiter what type of beer ya got, he goes through the bud light, coors light, I stop him, what kind a beer ya got that ain't light, he goes on with Paulner, New Castle, etc then says are we have a great beer called get this young-ling, like fricken Yoda called the young jedi in training.  So I tell him to say ying-ling and he says are you sure, I was like I think so I went to high school in Pottsville and graduated with Debby Yuengling. 

Last time I went "back home" was before we moved back to Texas it was about January of 2004.  So much had changed and so much was the same. 

Offline StillAlive

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 08:52:31 AM »
I'll never forget visiting Texas in 1993. Somebody bragging about this new expensive beer he discovered, and he pulled out a can of Yuengling black and tan!

Went to school in Bloomsburg and now work in Scranton.

I know what you mean! I went to a local mexican place that had a sign out for 1$ domestic drafts, but they included Yuegling on a list of "premium" beers that didn't qualify for the special...  I was like" that stuff is what broke high school students drink in PA " :)

I still drink it almost everywhere i find it for nostalgia purposes :)

Several of my best friends I grew up with went to school at Bloomsburg, and I attended the fair there quite a few times. I have never hung out in Scranton but I almost went to Wilkes college near there.

I was accepted there, Penn State and Embry Riddle in Daytona Beach Fl, it wasnt a hard decision :

Offline StillAlive

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:14:49 AM »
OK here you go a bit of coal region thought and memory.

First of course I remember Shamokin is was the biggest "cruising town" in the area but quite a drive for a broke teenager so we got up there some. 

I was a regular in the muscle car crowd there in high school. (82-86) I had a red and black 72 Nova SS that got me in a lot of trouble burning rubber at the post office parking lot at one end of town. Lots of good memories. I always remember Shamokin as this little dead end town, but to people in surrounding communites if was often the place to be..

Our secondary cruising town was Shenandoah just past Frackville.   Frackville was home to us in Pottsville of "the big mall" since our crappy little Mall was basically a Gee Bees and a Boscovs connected by a small collection of stores.  I mean come on Frackville's mall had a K-Mart and a Sears!

Cruising Shamokin was cool it was basically a big x, Shenandoah was just one main drag.  We hung out on both ends just a field on the north end and a shopping center on the south.  That shopping center had one of the first Video rental stores in the area back when no one had a DVD player by the way, VHS was still "new".

I hunted and fished from the coal region up to Potter County and back.  In the local area I hunted places like Sharpe, Pine and Second Mountains.  Fished creeks and rivers like the Little Schuylkill River, Pine Creek, Sweet Arrow Lake and Creek (but the creek was called Swat Arraw or simple "the swatty", Clark's Creek, Deep Creek (called "the deep crick"), etc.  Spent a lot of time fishing Tuscarora lake as well.

I hunted and fished all over Northumberland, Potter and Tioga counties. We lived outside of Shamokin in East Cameron township near Gowen City, I could hunt rabbit and Ringneck pheasant right out my front door. I got my first deer less than a half mile from my house. I fished mahatunga(Sp) creek, the Susquehanna and lots of other creeks i can't even remember..

Yuengling was the first beer to ever touch my lips or give me a hang over.  I take a perverse pleasure in letting any yuppy type that finds this "excpetional microbrew in his travels", know yea I grew up drinking that after high school in the Pottsville cemetery, we called it Pottsville piss water.  I was in New Jersery one time at a fancy smancy hotel, asked the waiter what type of beer ya got, he goes through the bud light, coors light, I stop him, what kind a beer ya got that ain't light, he goes on with Paulner, New Castle, etc then says are we have a great beer called get this young-ling, like fricken Yoda called the young jedi in training.  So I tell him to say ying-ling and he says are you sure, I was like I think so I went to high school in Pottsville and graduated with Debby Yuengling. 

Last time I went "back home" was before we moved back to Texas it was about January of 2004.  So much had changed and so much was the same. 

I feel the same way about Yuengling :)  The whole area is dead, nothing in Shamokin but Walmart ,the prison and The Coal Hole. My Parents and sister still live there. My sister and mom and my sister's kids came down to visit me in Florida a month ago and the kids begged to stay down here instead of going back :)

Jack,

I know you mentioned that you had lived in Florida for a while as well what part?

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 09:48:53 AM »
we called it Pottsville piss water

I'll have to remember that next time I'm in a bar. We used to call Schlitz & Schmidts - Shits.

Offline StillAlive

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 09:55:48 AM »
Hraz,

What does one have to do exactly to get negative Karma to that degree..

I love your avatar, I have one of those notes along with a brazillian 100,000 cruziero and a Weimar republic 10,000 mark bill  right next to me..I'm going to frame them..

Offline 25074

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 03:01:26 AM »
I graduated from Pottsville in 1995.

Small world.

Spent a good bit of time in Black Wood. 

Offline StillAlive

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 09:40:58 PM »
I graduated from Our Lady of Lourdes Regional in 1986

Offline Pont319

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 11:46:37 PM »
Crimson Tide 84. Anyone remember Blackwood?

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 08:54:36 AM »
Crimson Tide 84. Anyone remember Blackwood?

Oh now that hits close to home!  As I was at PAHS from 86-90 and Blackwood oh yea in a variety of ways.  I remember the fact that Blackwood was basically the entire torn up bottom area of Sharpe Mountain all the way from the Gorden Nagle Trail all the way out damn near to Tremont.  A such I shot 3 deer in that area in three years, but I doubt  that is what you mean.

I am thinking you mean the biggest underage drinking festival in the world that no longer exists.  The "Blackwood Buggy Festival" right?  I can tell you some stories about that event.

Offline StillAlive

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 09:30:58 AM »
Was that a 4 wd event? We had those at line mountain as well. I came home drunk from it at 14 and got grounded:)

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
  • Actually, no one owes you crap.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 01:59:13 PM »
Hraz,

What does one have to do exactly to get negative Karma to that degree..

I'd like the answer to this question too . . .   ::)

Offline StillAlive

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 04:11:38 PM »
He expressed an unpopular political position and was punished by the people he was arguing with :(