Author Topic: Goatdog's Project 505  (Read 171473 times)

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Goatdog's Project 505
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 12:18:20 PM »
Again GD, SUPERNICE project!  Try this link and see if it makes ya smile...  http://4x4wire.com/index.php/toyota-section

And the ARB Airlockers get a thumbs up from me.  You said you didn't want to go whole hog rock climber, and that's exactly what the ARB air actuated locking differential setup gives you the ability to do, with the flip of a switch, you can go from a road roller to a fully locked hill climber in less than a second.  Just don't try to drive on the dry pavement with it locked or you'll be chirping the tires at every turn of the wheel since they are truly 100% locked together.  Even a 2WD with the ability to lock the rear diff is pretty darn amazing for the terrain it can cope with, and when you are able to put 100% power to all 4 wheels, well...  you only need one tire on the ground to keep moving.

Keep posting the good stuff GD!

Tim.

Goatdog62

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 08:52:19 AM »
I do like the air lockers. I will do this in phases, ranging from probabilities I might encounter in a long-distance bugout (early mods) to possibilities (later mods).

Even though this 4Runner is a few months shy of five years old, it is still under warranty for seven. I'm not saying I won't do the air lockers sooner, but I want to focus on setting it up within warranty guidelines for now.

I will need some info from you Tim on who to get them from and about getting them installed. In the meantime, do you have info on a 2/1" or a 3/2" lift? Something I can do myself? I'm not bad with a wrench.

Copyright 1972

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 08:57:30 AM »
Look into Old man Emu.  They make great stuff for the newer 4-runners.  Fab-Tec is also a great source for suspention related stuff. 

Goatdog62

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 09:05:27 AM »
OME is my first choice, just didn't know what negatives about them wrere out there.

I'll look into the Fab Tec too.

thanks!

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 09:35:47 AM »
I know I'm a site noob, but your intent with this vehicle is to get you the 505 miles home, right?

I think if I was that far from my home and family on such a regular basis, I would also look into pilot training and the accessibility of airplanes in your area. If an "event" occurs, it might be the most practical bugout for that distance.  You seem to have the determination and the resources to make stuff happen, so I think I'd look into this.

Also, have you considered having a spare engine control module in a shielded container in case of EMP?  What else might fail to make the truck go in an EMP event?

Lastly, you probably do, but I'd want Delorme Atlas's for each state between me and Home, in case that snazzy GPS is wiped in an EMP.

Hope this helps,
D

Copyright 1972

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2009, 10:35:48 AM »
Goatdog can do anything!!!!  He's just building this truck so he can do anything and be comfy whilst' he does it!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Here's some links fer' ya' Goatdog, they may be of some help, in a research kind of way

All-pro offroad http://www.allprooffroad.com

Northwest offroad http://www.northwestoffroad.com/

4-wheel off road Magizinehttp://www.4wheeloffroad.com/index.html] [url]http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/index.html[/url]

Goatdog62

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2009, 10:48:23 AM »
I have considered the flight option. Don't feel it is practical. At all. Have many pilot friends (160th SOAR, etc). They don't include flight in their bugout plans. Multiple reasons. And there is a restricted airfield a few hundred yards from me most of the time. I've given some consideration to ultralight technology, but the low (5 gallon) fuel capacity is pretty restrictive.

I don't worry about EMP like some folks. It is a currently only a slight possibility, though as more countries/factions become more capable it will get more realistic. "One Second After" is a great book and makes you think, but it isn't quite that easy to have an event on that scale. There is even argument that it wouldn't catastrophically affect most vehicles. If it did, I have a lot of vehicle commandeering training. I can pretty much take just about any vehicle using the tools/devices I have. Modern or older. There are a lot of misconceptions about gaining entry and starting a vehicle without a key. It turns out to be fairly easy when you learn a particular brand (GM, Toyota, Ford, etc). That is why most car theft rings steal just one make of car, because they only know how to do it with that one car. I DO NOT break the law with this knowledge. I was trained for official purposes.

The GPS situation, however, is very real. The .gov can shut it down very quickly, encode it so only military equipment can use it, or degrade the accuracy somewhat. They already turned it off once for a short duration. depending on what type of SHTF we are facing, they can, and should, turn it off again. I have topo maps of the three states that I could run into (NC, TN, VA) in a bugout. Routes are marked and, except for a couple new ones, pre-driven. I have some military 1:50,000 of the area and have some more coming. Fortunately, I'm old enough to remember life before sluggers, pluggers, gps, etc.

I plan to post some map stuff showing my criteria for my various routes. My biggest concern is getting off this damn peninsula. We have two tunnels, a few bridges, and a ferry. That, or try to drive out through Richmond, in exactly the direction I just shouldn't be going. Anyone know how to turn a 4Runner into an amphib with the flip of a switch? ;D

Goatdog62

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2009, 10:58:14 AM »
Goatdog can do anything!!!!  He's just building this truck so he can do anything and be comfy whilst' he does it!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Here's some links fer' ya' Goatdog, they may be of some help, in a research kind of way

All-pro offroad http://www.allprooffroad.com

Northwest offroad http://www.northwestoffroad.com/

4-wheel off road Magizine [url]http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/index.html]http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/index.html] [url]http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/index.html[/url]

Thanks for those links Copyright72! I devour info on this subject. I've been heavy reading the Expedition Portal and all the Toyota forums. Any help is appreciated. I've already decided that airlockers will eventually go on 505, thanks to people here telling me it was nonintrusive.

Offline Klapton

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2009, 11:03:38 AM »
I have considered the flight option. Don't feel it is practical. At all. Have many pilot friends (160th SOAR, etc). They don't include flight in their bugout plans. Multiple reasons. And there is a restricted airfield a few hundred yards from me most of the time. I've given some consideration to ultralight technology, but the low (5 gallon) fuel capacity is pretty restrictive.

I've given some thought to an Ultralight setup.  The five gallon limit is, of course, a government regulation.  When TSHTF their stupid "regulations" won't apply.  Of course, you wouldn't want to mount a larger tank on it until TSHTF.  But if you could figure out how big you could go without adding too much weight to fly, and have a larger tank ready to swap out when TSHTF.

Goatdog62

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »
I've given some thought to an Ultralight setup.  The five gallon limit is, of course, a government regulation.  When TSHTF their stupid "regulations" won't apply.  Of course, you wouldn't want to mount a larger tank on it until TSHTF.  But if you could figure out how big you could go without adding too much weight to fly, and have a larger tank ready to swap out when TSHTF.

That's really what I meant Klapton. I know fuel weighs a little over 7 lbs a gallon and wonder at what point it becomes counterproductive to add fuel capacity. I'll ask a couple people.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2009, 11:17:05 AM »

I don't worry about EMP like some folks. It is a currently only a slight possibility, though as more countries/factions become more capable it will get more realistic. "One Second After" is a great book and makes you think, but it isn't quite that easy to have an event on that scale. There is even argument that it wouldn't catastrophically affect most vehicles. If it did, I have a lot of vehicle commandeering training. I can pretty much take just about any vehicle using the tools/devices I have. Modern or older. There are a lot of misconceptions about gaining entry and starting a vehicle without a key. It turns out to be fairly easy when you learn a particular brand (GM, Toyota, Ford, etc). That is why most car theft rings steal just one make of car, because they only know how to do it with that one car. I DO NOT break the law with this knowledge. I was trained for official purposes.

The GPS situation, however, is very real. The .gov can shut it down very quickly, encode it so only military equipment can use it, or degrade the accuracy somewhat. They already turned it off once for a short duration. depending on what type of SHTF we are facing, they can, and should, turn it off again. I have topo maps of the three states that I could run into (NC, TN, VA) in a bugout. Routes are marked and, except for a couple new ones, pre-driven. I have some military 1:50,000 of the area and have some more coming. Fortunately, I'm old enough to remember life before sluggers, pluggers, gps, etc.

I plan to post some map stuff showing my criteria for my various routes. My biggest concern is getting off this damn peninsula. We have two tunnels, a few bridges, and a ferry. That, or try to drive out through Richmond, in exactly the direction I just shouldn't be going. Anyone know how to turn a 4Runner into an amphib with the flip of a switch? ;D

IIRC GPS was originally degraded for civilian use at the beginning, off by 100 meters or something like that?

Also, as discussed elsewhere on TSP, if TSHTF, especially if there is some form of attack, the Feds may also terminate all air traffic immediately as with 9/11. Ultralights may be harder to catch, but they will be included in the no-fly order.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »
IIRC GPS was originally degraded for civilian use at the beginning, off by 100 meters or something like that?

My understanding was that consumer devices had that inaccuracy programmed in. It was a fiasco. If I understood it right, the receiver had to have the inaccuracy programmed in, which some companies "over-rided" by taking multiple samples and averaging the position.

They've since rescinded that, but as mentioned, the gub'ment can turn it on/off at any time.

Goatdog62

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 12:13:05 AM »

Also, as discussed elsewhere on TSP, if TSHTF, especially if there is some form of attack, the Feds may also terminate all air traffic immediately as with 9/11. Ultralights may be harder to catch, but they will be included in the no-fly order.

That's a big reason. I just can't see our skies being as free as they are now if SHTF. I would be pretty easy to shoot down.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2009, 10:59:58 AM »
That's a big reason. I just can't see our skies being as free as they are now if SHTF. I would be pretty easy to shoot down.

An Ultralite would be the preferred choice for "low and slow", but everybody with a gun would be slinging led at ya post SHTF.  I mean what'd they have to loose, you'd probably be hurt/killed in the crash and then whatever you had on board would be theirs.  It's not all that uncommon for civilian aircraft that fly low (photography, forestry management, herd count, etc.) to encounter a random pot shot up their tail feathers in today's "climate".

And as far as TLC links, I'll see what I can dig up for ya.  Copyright did a jam up job providing you with good links.  There used to be a company that if you were a TLC guy, you HAD to have their catalog, it was at the times cutting edge for anything TLC.  Probably still is too, I'll remember it if I think about it long enough and pass it your way sir.

Tim.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2009, 11:02:09 AM »
Get the drooling towel out GD...

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/

Tim.

Goatdog62

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2009, 11:04:55 AM »
Get the drooling towel out GD...

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/

Tim.

You just cost me a lot of money Tim.

I'll pick one of my children to skip college and I'll make do. ;D

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2009, 01:30:33 PM »
You just cost me a lot of money Tim.

I'll pick one of my children to skip college and I'll make do. ;D

I did warn ya bud!  Wanna go for two kids out of college?

http://www.quadratec.com/  A Jeep only place but they carry a LOT of universally adaptable gear.

http://www.garvin-industries.com/index.html  BEST roof racks MADE!  Great idea generator too.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/  Jeep only too, but MAN!  They specialize in the Cherokee stuff.  I know Rusty personally and he is salt of the earth.

http://www.quadratec.com/help/shop_by_brand.php  Qudratec's manufacturers link page if you want to forget about college all together.

Tim.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 05:46:56 PM by timsuggs »

Copyright 1972

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2009, 02:24:05 PM »
Damnit!  How did I forget Downey?????   ???

I...HAVE....FAILED...YOU!!!!!!

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Goatdog62

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2009, 03:35:03 PM »
I spent the last couple hours drooling. I guess I need to make a plan and stick to it or I'll just start ordering stuff haphazardly. Copyrright72 and TimSuggs are banned from this thread. They already cost me my retirement! ;D

Offline the_dude306

• Prepper
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2009, 03:46:15 PM »
Very nice!  Keep us posted!

Goatdog62

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2009, 04:08:41 PM »
Very nice!  Keep us posted!

It'll never be an offroad match for your beast of a Land Cruiser Dude306! Best BOV I've ever seen. Mine just has a somewhat different mission.

But I will be stealing some of your ideas and since you know Toyotas I might need some info too. Like the best place to get that fridge for instance.

BTW Tim Suggs, I saw earlier that the Yakima Load Warrior had been rreduced to $199 with free shipping at bikeguys.com and I jumped on it. Then you told me about the Garvin. I didn't look up their prices, but $199 is hard to beat for a good one like the Yakima. I can later add the 20" extension if I need it, but I'm thinking I might need to save some roof space for radio antennas, unless someone knows a better place to get reception.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2009, 06:30:01 PM »
No sympathy GD, you asked. 

Copyright broke me up with his "I Failed You" comment, I have Downey's logo emblazoned in my mind CR, so don't sweat that one, you did good.

Dude306 is totally rocking with his rig.  A professional piece it is.

I like nothing more than looking through "wheel" websites and catalogs.  Anything with wheels is game for me.  I very often "think" myself to sleep at night building rigs and such in my mind.  GD when it comes to roof racks, there are so many of them out there.  If you got a good deal on a rack that serves your needs, well...  You can't ask for more.  The coolest roof rack I have seen for Jeeps is the Olympic "Dave Rack" (pictured below)

Just think of possibilities! 

Tim.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2009, 06:33:19 PM »
awesome pic!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2009, 07:30:46 PM »
Ohhhhh, look at that RACK.  :D

I wonder if they make something like that for an FJ cruiser.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2009, 09:05:10 PM »
I can later add the 20" extension if I need it, but I'm thinking I might need to save some roof space for radio antennas, unless someone knows a better place to get reception.
Look into rack mounts for antennas.  There are quite a few variations out there already, & it's fairly easy to mod something up to attach to your roof racks.

I like some of the folding models that are available.  If you have to back country it, it's nice to be able to fold the antenna down to parallel with the roof, no tree branches to worry about that way.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2009, 09:07:10 PM »
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/  Jeep only too, but MAN!  They specialize in the Cherokee stuff.  I know Rusty personally and he is salt of the earth.
Dang it Tim!  You've gotta quit helping me spend money I don't have. :(

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2009, 10:09:10 PM »
Ohhhhh, look at that RACK.  :D
I wonder if they make something like that for an FJ cruiser.

If they don't, find a fab shop and "git er done"!  I made an aluminum full length overhead rack for my 4 dr 1994 Montero that was from bumper to bumper.  It incorporated pull out side frames for tarping and was plenty roomy on top for a full sized 8x10 cabin style tent that could sleep 5.  I had mounts for lights on all four sides, antenna, gas cans, Hi-Lift shovel and axe.  Unfortunately it was stolen before I had used it twice, recovered at the bottom of a ravine, burnt to a crisp and all that was left of the aluminum rack was the mounts.

Tim.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2009, 10:11:41 PM »
Dang it Tim!  You've gotta quit helping me spend money I don't have. :(

Think of me as a one man stimulus incentive package!   8)

Tim.

Goatdog62

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Look into rack mounts for antennas.  There are quite a few variations out there already, & it's fairly easy to mod something up to attach to your roof racks.

I like some of the folding models that are available.  If you have to back country it, it's nice to be able to fold the antenna down to parallel with the roof, no tree branches to worry about that way.

Never crossed my mind to use folding antennas. Should have, I broke more than one when I was a soldier by running into overhead crap.

DEV, what would a ham setup run me? Something capable, but not top of the line.

Goatdog62

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2009, 11:03:32 PM »
I am hoping the Yakima's fairing will keep wind noise to a minimum during my highway usage. I do a lot of driving.

http://www.yakima.com/racks/cargo/product/8007070/loadwarrior.aspx

I am intrigued by the RTT (Roof Top Tent) models.